Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Place?
New York City 5 7.58%
Washington DC 7 10.61%
Atlanta 27 40.91%
Charlotte 14 21.21%
Raleigh 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 PM

339 posts, read 2,202,030 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will have the option to work in one of the following cities for my company and was wondering if people can help me out. I'm a new grad and am pursuing a career in finance/accounting in case that matters in any way. I know no city is perfect, but here are some preferences I have:

1. Access to F500/F1000 companies or at least a large pool of interesting technology/biotech companies. My end goal is to work for a biotech or software/hardware company that I find interesting as a finance officer, so having a large amount of professionals in this industry within my area to network with is huge and by far the most important factor.

2. I prefer really warm weather to freezing cold weather but obviously moderate weather is ideal.

3. I strongly prefer urban living to driving around everywhere. This isn't a deal breaker, but I hate having to worry about a car and find it to be a huge nuisance.

4. Potential for future growth. Except for NYC and probably DC, I'm in an extremely privileged position where my parents may be able to help me get started on owning a place right away instead of renting. Therefore, being in a place where the real estate prices could be set to grow is actually somewhat important because it'll help me get started on the right path. Obviously, nobody can predict this with certainty, but educated guesses are welcome.

5. A good nightlife is desirable, but I'm not just into the #yoloswag lifestyle. I prefer to meet people who enjoy intelligent discussions/have cool life experiences or can have fun without being under the influence of something or without trying to mack on dem hoes all the time or whatever.

That's about all of my criteria. It's pretty short because I imagine I'll be starting out grinding my butt off so that I can then begin settling down a bit more in my late 20s/early 30s. For comparison sake, the salary ranges for the locations are NYC - roughly 60k, DC - mid to upper 50s, rest low 50s in case it makes a difference.

I probably would have gone straight for NYC, but my worry is that my salary won't be great initially. I've heard horror stories about how expensive NYC is and I bet I'd be living in poverty with the salary I'd potentially make compared to the folks in finance, etc. NYC/Atlanta I definitely don't see myself staying long-term and mostly would use it to jump start my career before moving somewhere else, but I could potentially see myself staying in the NC cities or DC (DC though would be living in VA and then commuting), but that's way, way down the road and that shouldn't be much of a factor given how much things can change (who knows, I may want to move back home to California if I just don't like the east).

Phew, that was a long post. So now, honestly C-Ders, which city sounds like the best fit for me? I'm not asking what city is best in general for all the homers out there, but rather which one fits my NEEDS currently. There's no ideal place, so I just need to pick one that best suits me for the moment and then move once I get some experience if I hate it.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,669,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi all,

I will have the option to work in one of the following cities for my company and was wondering if people can help me out. I'm a new grad and am pursuing a career in finance/accounting in case that matters in any way. I know no city is perfect, but here are some preferences I have:

1. Access to F500/F1000 companies or at least a large pool of interesting technology/biotech companies. My end goal is to work for a biotech or software/hardware company that I find interesting as a finance officer, so having a large amount of professionals in this industry within my area to network with is huge and by far the most important factor.

2. I prefer really warm weather to freezing cold weather but obviously moderate weather is ideal.

3. I strongly prefer urban living to driving around everywhere. This isn't a deal breaker, but I hate having to worry about a car and find it to be a huge nuisance.

4. Potential for future growth. Except for NYC and probably DC, I'm in an extremely privileged position where my parents may be able to help me get started on owning a place right away instead of renting. Therefore, being in a place where the real estate prices could be set to grow is actually somewhat important because it'll help me get started on the right path. Obviously, nobody can predict this with certainty, but educated guesses are welcome.

5. A good nightlife is desirable, but I'm not just into the #yoloswag lifestyle. I prefer to meet people who enjoy intelligent discussions/have cool life experiences or can have fun without being under the influence of something or without trying to mack on dem hoes all the time or whatever.

That's about all of my criteria. It's pretty short because I imagine I'll be starting out grinding my butt off so that I can then begin settling down a bit more in my late 20s/early 30s. For comparison sake, the salary ranges for the locations are NYC - roughly 60k, DC - mid to upper 50s, rest low 50s in case it makes a difference.

I probably would have gone straight for NYC, but my worry is that my salary won't be great initially. I've heard horror stories about how expensive NYC is and I bet I'd be living in poverty with the salary I'd potentially make compared to the folks in finance, etc. NYC/Atlanta I definitely don't see myself staying long-term and mostly would use it to jump start my career before moving somewhere else, but I could potentially see myself staying in the NC cities or DC (DC though would be living in VA and then commuting), but that's way, way down the road and that shouldn't be much of a factor given how much things can change (who knows, I may want to move back home to California if I just don't like the east).

Phew, that was a long post. So now, honestly C-Ders, which city sounds like the best fit for me? I'm not asking what city is best in general for all the homers out there, but rather which one fits my NEEDS currently. There's no ideal place, so I just need to pick one that best suits me for the moment and then move once I get some experience if I hate it.

Thanks!
Charlotte has the Fortune 500/1000 companies and is a banking heaven, but Raleigh has more biotech companies. If having other professionals in your industry is the most important thing, the choice is really between Charlotte and NYC.

To be real with you, nightlife in Raleigh is almost non-existent. The cost of living in Charlotte is fairly cheap compared to NYC and DC. I can't really speak too much on Raleigh.

Charlotte is also pretty warm and it's potential is really strong. The only problem I can think of is you need a car to get around most of the city outside of Uptown (downtown).

Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM

36,943 posts, read 38,939,780 times
It seems like DC might be a solid choice for you. There is a decent amount of interesting tech and biotech stuff going on there these days, the region has been economically resilient and diversified in terms of fields (though obviously a large chunk is in the public sector, the public sector runs pretty much as large a gamut of fields as the private sector does), it has decent nightlife and it's very much an urban city where a car is unnecessary so long as you life within DC or one of the denser, nearby suburbs. It will have colder winters than the NC cities's or Atlanta's though (warmer than NYC's).

Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM

For the people voting Charlotte, are you all writing this because I said that I would be pursuing a career in finance/accounting? I'm pretty sure Charlotte isn't big on tech/biotech, which is the inudstry I want to eventually work in. I'm not that interested in doing Investment Banking or working in financial services and am looking more to work within finance at a large company or a startup. Just wanted to clarify.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM

78 posts, read 100,003 times
It's tough to turn down any opportunity to live in NYC, even with the cost of living. It is "America's city", but likely your company is based there and you may have a chance to move to NYC down the road when they can pay you appropriately. That's just a guess though, so I don't know. NYC would be the obvious choice as a fan of urban living.

D.C would probably be the best for your weather preferences (moderate weather) and urban living would at least be similar to that of NYC, but again cost of living makes things difficult and can limit how "urban" you can actually live.

Raleigh honestly may give you the best chance to move up in the tech/bio tech community, it's home to a plethora of top ranked universities in those fields and the RTP is home to an extensive number of companies in that industry (more so tech than bio tech). It also has a very healthy economy and cheap standard of living, but is very limited in "urban living" out of a couple core neighborhoods. You will also drive there, no getting around that. It is the least urban by a pretty wide margin of the 5 listed. It's still a great city though.

Charlotte's economy is currently limited and has the highest unemployment rate. But that doesn't matter for you. Out of the 5, it is 4th in "urban living" only ahead of Raleigh and I can attest it is a city you can live in without a vehicle because I do it. It's not easy, but it's possible. Cost of living is pretty cheap as well. I make roughly $60k (not trying to get too personal, just trying to give you an idea) and own a 1700 square foot home in a historic neighborhood on the rail and still live quite well. That said, we DO NOT have a biotech industry, at all. At least that I'm aware of.

Atlanta might give you the best mix, it's also great for young people. Just avoid living in an outer neighborhood and you will really enjoy it. It's economy is more diverse than Charlotte or Raleigh's and the cost of living is far cheaper than NYC or D.C. It's hotter than Hades and has a decent rail network (I'm sure you know that). I have plenty of friends who live there that love it. I have heard the crime is miserable though. As an aside, as a Charlottean, it makes me sick to recommend Atlanta to anyone; but hey, what can you do? I always have a good time when I visit ATL and I'm there for work at least once a month.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Thanks a lot for the unbiased answer; that's always appreciated given this forum is full of homers . Kind of interesting how now Atlanta is dominating the poll since i last checked (earlier it was Charlotte). I'm also shocked that NYC hasn't been getting much love given how that's the ideal city in so many peoples' opinions.

I offer a few additional thoughts:

I really like Raleigh/Chapel Hill, etc. but that area + Charlotte seem more like places I would want to settle down in the long-term rather than start off right away. They have some F500 companies for sure and it's big on tech, but I feel as though it's not as easy to meet people there as a bachelor/RCG than as a more mature person who is about to start a family. Sure, it'd be nice to not rent for 3 years (or however long I end up at that firm) like I would in NYC/DC, but that aid from my parents isn't going to go anywhere, and I think Raleigh + Charlotte aren't going to suddenly double in value in 3-5 years, so I have time to still buy a decent place later on in life at a good price. Actually, by then I might not even need my parents' support and can do it on my own depending on where my career is headed. It's just tough because I like the area a lot and especially like the Chapel Hill area. Btw, I can definitely stand having a car in Charlotte/Raleigh because they're smaller cities. It's the megacities with heavy traffic, etc. that I'd have trouble owning a car in.

I'm honestly considering NYC/DC the heaviest. I have friends in both cities and even though I wouldn't be living lavishly like I potentially would in NC/Atlanta, it may be worth it because there's also a lot more opportunities to advance one's career in those cities compared to the others. One thing I was wondering was what fortune 500 companies are headquartered in DC. I'll be starting in public accounting and thus my experience is only as useful as what clients I get put on (i.e. if I get to audit a F500, good experience, tiny no-name firm or a non-profit/public sector entity, not as great). If I moved to NYC, I'd be guaranteed to work on a plethora of huge, multinational corps, but would DC likely offer that same exposure? I like DC a lot from what I've seen, but somehow, I feel it might be worth sucking it up and living in NYC to begin with just to advance my career. I know for sure I can't live there long-term though because the pace of life is just too much for a Californian like me.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,043,396 times
Hey Jumpman023, thanks for our thorough OP! It makes it much easier to respond to it!

The first thing that jumps out to me is the salary offers. It's shocking to me that the spread from top to bottom is less than 10 grand. 60 grand in NYC is nothing and you can consider that offer to be effectively less than the ones you have in the low 50s. Even DC's mid-high 50s isn't so hot when compared to the costs of living in all noted metros.

That said, I want to put in a plug for Raleigh and the Triangle. It's typical for some on C-D to trash talk the city: belittling it with worn out generalizations and old stereotypes. I truly understand those tired stereotypes because I have owned condos in DT Raleigh since 1996 and it was very sleepy then. That said, it's not the same place now. It's a city and metro with so much more to offer and Raleigh's a city that is undergoing a rapid metamorphosis in its core. RedHat recently moved its HQ to DT and Citrix Systems is opening a regional site for several hundred new employees(initially) in DT's Warehouse District soon. Raleigh's core is also rapidly expanding with new housing in response to the growth of these non-government jobs.
Building by building and block by block, Raleigh's CBD is restoring turn of the century buildings to their former glory. It seems that each time a building is restored, it's quickly turned into a new trendy restaurant, gallery, hang-out joint or bar. The reality is that Raleigh and the Triangle is filled with recent college graduates and people your age. Many of the NC State, UNC and Duke grads stay in the area after they graduate because of the rapid growth of the area and opportunties. You will have no problem meeting people your age. Also, your noted field of choice is a particular strength in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

Good luck with your decision and congratulations on landing a job! That's no easy feat for new grads these days.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM

78 posts, read 100,003 times
Raleigh is rad. I don't want to belittle it, it's a great place and I've spent a whole HEAP of time there. I always stay in the Clarion Pringles-can downtown and have a lot of fun. Honestly you can't go wrong with any of these cities. And you can meet young people in all of them as well, easily. Charlotte, Atlanta and Raleigh all have large groups of young people.

Charlotte for example (since I know it best) well there are plenty of different clubs and leagues you can join, from softball to trampoline dodge ball. Heck, there is a big group of people that play "bar poker" in Charlotte, that bike from bar to bar and get a different card until they can play a hand. They seem to have a good time. And I pitch the Whitewater center all the time, mostly because it's awesome. But you can live out there basically. And while it's people of all ages, it's definitely a GREAT place to meet the ladies. Sit by the water, drink a pint, walk your dog and relax. Or get destroyed in a rapid like I do. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,669,156 times
I would also throw in a positive word for Raleigh. A lot of new graduates are moving there.

But I would heavily recommend Charlotte as well considering the field you're in and qualifications and it's more appropriate for younger people IMO.

Also, don't rely strictly on the poll. Whenever Atlanta is on a poll, no matter which city, it will 90% of the time dominate.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,931,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi all,

1. Access to F500/F1000 companies or at least a large pool of interesting technology/biotech companies. My end goal is to work for a biotech or software/hardware company that I find interesting as a finance officer, so having a large amount of professionals in this industry within my area to network with is huge and by far the most important factor. Charlotte, Raleigh, DC, NYC, or Atlanta

2. I prefer really warm weather to freezing cold weather but obviously moderate weather is ideal. Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta

3. I strongly prefer urban living to driving around everywhere. This isn't a deal breaker, but I hate having to worry about a car and find it to be a huge nuisance. DC, NYC

4. Potential for future growth. Except for NYC and probably DC, I'm in an extremely privileged position where my parents may be able to help me get started on owning a place right away instead of renting. Therefore, being in a place where the real estate prices could be set to grow is actually somewhat important because it'll help me get started on the right path. Obviously, nobody can predict this with certainty, but educated guesses are welcome.Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh

5. A good nightlife is desirable, but I'm not just into the #yoloswag lifestyle. I prefer to meet people who enjoy intelligent discussions/have cool life experiences or can have fun without being under the influence of something or without trying to mack on dem hoes all the time or whatever.DC, Charlotte, Raleigh, NYC, Atlanta

Thanks!
I just listed a city(ies) that clearly met your criteria and took a tally...Based on your criteria your are leaning...

Charlotte - 4
Raleigh - 4
ATL - 4 (then you don't want to be there long term at that)
NYC - 3
DC - 3

So you got Charlotte or Raleigh left....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City