Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Atlanta?
Miami 52 43.70%
Atlanta 59 49.58%
tie 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
1. More integrated in terms of population? Atlanta - All I saw in Miami was Hispanics.

2. Has a better school system? Atlanta - No competition

3. Has a more reasonable cost of living? Atlanta - No competition

4. Has more to do? Tie - It depends on what you want to do. Miami has ALMOST every water sport that one could think of. Atlanta has ALMOST every mountain sport that one could think of. You can also white water raft in Atlanta. Entertainment(clubs, sports, culture) is about the same.

Based on that I go with Atlanta. I don't necessarily hate Miami, but I don't like it either. It's just okay. Atlanta feels WAY bigger than Miami. Miami is a big city but it didn't feel like it. I also LOVE Atlanta's landscape. The changing colors of the trees in the fall is gorgeous. Palm trees get a little old and that's like the only tree in Miami! And the rolling hills in Atlanta is definitely better than FLAT Miami (the highest point is 24 ft).
Miami's only 35sq miles. What do you expect? Palms aren't the only tree in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What an absolute load of pure BS.

Just exactly how is this relevent in a comparison of the two cities arts scenes, as is being discussed at this point?

I don't believe a single word of the quoted post.
His story matches up to the experience of thousands that have visited Atlanta in the past. Comparing Atlanta to more relevant cities like Miami is laughable.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
1. More integrated in terms of population? Atlanta - All I saw in Miami was Hispanics.

2. Has a better school system? Atlanta - No competition

3. Has a more reasonable cost of living? Atlanta - No competition

4. Has more to do? Tie - It depends on what you want to do. Miami has ALMOST every water sport that one could think of. Atlanta has ALMOST every mountain sport that one could think of. You can also white water raft in Atlanta. Entertainment(clubs, sports, culture) is about the same.

Based on that I go with Atlanta. I don't necessarily hate Miami, but I don't like it either. It's just okay. Atlanta feels WAY bigger than Miami. Miami is a big city but it didn't feel like it. I also LOVE Atlanta's landscape. The changing colors of the trees in the fall is gorgeous. Palm trees get a little old and that's like the only tree in Miami! And the rolling hills in Atlanta is definitely better than FLAT Miami (the highest point is 24 ft).
I can agree with you on most thing your said but two things are off IMO. First Miami has a world famoous nightlife, people travel from around the world to come to clubs in Miami that can't be said about Atlanta.

The second thing is "all you saw were hispanics" Number one: Hispanics are different, thats like saying all I saw were Europeans or all I saw were Asians. They are all from different countries what do people do not understand about this. People from France and Italy are different, people from the UK and US are different well guess what everyone, Cubans are not the same as Mexicans or Colombians etc.. Also you must have not been noticing much because Miami has a huge Caribbean population and a very large European population and Brazillian population which are not really "hispanics" since they dont share the same language all these countries cultures are so different! Miami is MUCH more diverse then Atlanta this is not even a question, it is fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami's only 35sq miles. What do you expect? Palms aren't the only tree in Miami.
Well first this is most people dont see the difference between different types of Palms trees which can be drastic. But yes Miami is home to a wide array of Tropical and Sub-Toprical vegetaion along with plenty of imported trees. I like the Miami landscape a lot. Not many places in the world that are bordered by two delicate ecosystems like the Everglades and Biscayne Coral Reef. Miami is a very interesting city with a delicate ecosystem. People in Atlanta can go hike there small mountains I can go snorkle in a Coral reef and watch Dolphins from my backyard.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Miamis Traffic has gotten better in the past few years, after all the only people in rush hour traffic have Jobs

Old 09-06-2011, 02:19 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Quote:
Miami's only 35sq miles. What do you expect?
City limits mean nothing. The whole metro area just doesn't feel like 5.5 million.

Quote:
Palms aren't the only tree in Miami.
I said "like." I know there are other trees there (duh), but palm trees are everywhere! 90% of the trees down there are palm trees.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I can agree with you on most thing your said but two things are off IMO. First Miami has a world famoous nightlife, people travel from around the world to come to clubs in Miami that can't be said about Atlanta.
Clubs aren't the only type of entertainment. Atlanta undoubtedly beats Miami in performing arts, etc. If we were just doing clubs then I would say Miami, without a doubt. But it lacks in the performing arts, etc section.

Quote:
The second thing is "all you saw were hispanics" Number one: Hispanics are different, thats like saying all I saw were Europeans or all I saw were Asians. They are all from different countries what do people do not understand about this. People from France and Italy are different, people from the UK and US are different well guess what everyone, Cubans are not the same as Mexicans or Colombians etc.. Also you must have not been noticing much because Miami has a huge Caribbean population and a very large European population and Brazillian population which are not really "hispanics" since they dont share the same language all these countries cultures are so different! Miami is MUCH more diverse then Atlanta this is not even a question, it is fact.
Okay, you're right about that. The thing is, a true diverse city is like NYC. People from ALL over, not just one region. In Miami, you have Puerto Ricans, Cubans, etc, but they all speak the same language. Diversity to me is having Chinese, Germans, Russians, South Afircans, that's what diversity is to me. There is a "diverse" Hispanic(Cuba, Puerto Rico) and Carribean(Haiti, Bahamas) population there though.

Quote:
Well first this is most people dont see the difference between different types of Palms trees which can be drastic. But yes Miami is home to a wide array of Tropical and Sub-Toprical vegetaion along with plenty of imported trees.
90% of the trees in Miami are some type of palm tree. I've seen plenty of palm trees and the difference isn't that big.

Quote:
I like the Miami landscape a lot. Not many places in the world that are bordered by two delicate ecosystems like the Everglades and Biscayne Coral Reef. Miami is a very interesting city with a delicate ecosystem. People in Atlanta can go hike there small mountains I can go snorkle in a Coral reef and watch Dolphins from my backyard.
I love the bright green color of the vegetation in Miami. People like different stuff. I rather snorkel than hike, but I'm from Florida and haven't hiked before. It just depends.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
City limits mean nothing. The whole metro area just doesn't feel like 5.5 million.

I said "like." I know there are other trees there (duh), but palm trees are everywhere! 90% of the trees down there are palm trees.
It feels just as much of 5.5 million as ATL feels like 5.5million. If South Fla, doesn't feel like a metro of 5.5 million, I don't know what metro in the South does?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
His story matches up to the experience of thousands that have visited Atlanta in the past. Comparing Atlanta to more relevant cities like Miami is laughable.
This guy has no clue what he is talking about, not relevant? Ummm, the city that has the worlds busiest airport is apparently not relevant. What's more relevant, hmmmmm oh wait no contest Atlanta, Miami is a pleasure city relevancy is not something they can accomplish unless your whole being relies on taking a cruise.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
This guy has no clue what he is talking about, not relevant? Ummm, the city that has the worlds busiest airport is apparently not relevant. What's more relevant, hmmmmm oh wait no contest Atlanta, Miami is a pleasure city relevancy is not something they can accomplish unless your whole being relies on taking a cruise.
You sound just like Infamous with that line, except you're just dissing Miami instead of dissing ATL. Miami only relevant for taking cruises? Ok buddy.....

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It feels just as much of 5.5 million as ATL feels like 5.5million. If South Fla, doesn't feel like a metro of 5.5 million, I don't know what metro in the South does?
Atlanta feels like 5.5 million (even though it's at 5.3). Downtown feels bigger, traffic is more intense, and it just feels like a bigger city. Just what I feel. Miami feels like 3 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City