Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Atlanta?
Miami 52 43.70%
Atlanta 59 49.58%
tie 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i love the miami skyscrapers, but ATL is more of a real city
i retract my comment (not in fear of a rep point ) but i can't really judge miami or atl properly. i've never really spent much time overnight IN either city

i've stayed in Tucker, GA and driven into ATL and Buckhead many times & stayed in Miami Beach (N and S) everytime i stay in Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Hey you got a rep point out of it!

We get these reps from anonymous people all the time in the Atlanta forum as you probably already know. I see you there quite a bit.

I have a feeling it's only one person doing it because the writing style is the same across the board but most of us have stopped caring about it. I don't see him/her brought up much anymore.

I have a pretty good idea who they are but I won't name names in case I'm wrong...
I know exactly who it is.......

But I don't want to get banned for naming names.

I get these constantly, btw.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think a lot of Blacks bring it up because it is a big source of pride for many of them. And not just ones from the South East. Blacks from all over the nation often are very impressed by the Black population and culture in Atlanta.

Unfortunately even in this day and age it's still difficult to find a city that offers nearly as much when it comes to the affluence, influence and variety of African Americans and the number of things this city has to offer for them.

Whites often don't get the hype because many of the things Black folks get excited about here are things that whites take for granted in most cities where they make up the majority, have a tremendous amount of influence, a very large number of cultural amenities geared towards them and a huge number of very wealthy successful whites and white owned business'.
Exactly. It's easy for whites to look at this obsession that blacks have, and look at it in a strange way. Well, when the majority of the US is white, then white people kinda take it for granted. But if you're black. things like "how affluent is the black population" is a real concern especially if you've never been accepted in certain White social circles. If Mexicans became the majority and whites became a poorer minority in the US, I'm sure there would be plenty of Whites searching high and low for "The next predominantly white-professional mecca in the US". Lets be honest people.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly. It's easy for whites to look at this obsession that blacks have, and look at it in a strange way. Well, when the majority of the US is white, then white people kinda take it for granted. But if you're black. things like "how affluent is the black population" is a real concern especially if you've never been accepted in certain White social circles. If Mexicans became the majority and whites became a poorer minority in the US, I'm sure there would be plenty of Whites searching high and low for "The next predominantly white-professional mecca in the US". Lets be honest people.
Bingo! We have a winner, folks.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM

95 posts, read 160,828 times
Atlanta by miles. It's a real city, far more diverse and with more in the way of real jobs and blue chip companies. Atlanta airport is miles ahead of Miami's. Miami is very segregated with few middle class black people, while Atlanta has a large middle class black contingent. Miami only wins on skyline, other than that it's just a glorified condo park.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Atlanta by miles. It's a real city, far more diverse and with more in the way of real jobs and blue chip companies. Atlanta airport is miles ahead of Miami's. Miami is very segregated with few middle class black people, while Atlanta has a large middle class black contingent. Miami only wins on skyline, other than that it's just a glorified condo park.
Well, Atlanta doesn't have a large Hispanic middle-class. So ha!!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM

95 posts, read 160,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, Atlanta doesn't have a large Hispanic middle-class. So ha!!
Neither does Miami. It is a city of a wealthy minority, with a majority that is low income, but pretends to be wealthy, hence the fact that Miami's personal debt ratio to income is the highest in the US.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Neither does Miami. It is a city of a wealthy minority, with a majority that is low income, but pretends to be wealthy, hence the fact that Miami's personal debt ratio to income is the highest in the US.
That's because Miami's wealth is in the surrounding communities rather than the city-limits. It's numbers are skewed because it's so small. Miami's income ration only tells part of the story. There's a HUGE middle-class to the west and southwest of the city that gets ignored by the media, and city-data. But what else is new?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
More diverse?? Wow you must not know what the word diverse means.

A real city? Really a dense city like Miami with a MUCH higher daytime and residential downtown population for all those "fake jobs"makes it not a real city? And people in Atlanta always mention the airport. It is a pretty good airport I enjoy flying there a lot. Yet MIA still have more International Passengers and much more cargo flying through it. But ATL is great. But now days I would not miles ahead, you obviously have not been to MIA lately.

Quote:
You do realize Miami is a city that is 38 square miles and that much of the wealthy and HUGE middle and upper class hispanics are in the surrounds suburbs right...

Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
A real city? Really a dense city like Miami with a MUCH higher daytime and residential downtown population for all those "fake jobs"makes it not a real city? And people in Atlanta always mention the airport.
Hello? Atlanta has a MUCH higher daytime influx of workers than Miami does, which is why there are MILLIONS more square feet of office space here.

And the airport deserves to be mentioned, time after time. What city would not want this airport? An airport that is arguably the busiest in the world, connected by an excellent rail line offering a single-seat ride to all but one of our five main business districts? Despite Miami being a world renowned tourism city, we blow you guys out of the water when it comes to number of hotel rooms, and the convention/meeting business.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you guys just NOW building this missing link with Metrorail? And with the of exception Downtown, it doesn't link any of your main business districts to the airport. We are 25 years ahead of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City