U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Miami or Atlanta?
Miami 52 43.70%
Atlanta 59 49.58%
tie 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,547,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
Miami was actually ranked by the United Nations Development Program as the most diverse city in the world followed by Toronto...Miami has very diverse Hispanic population,so just because it's like 70% Hispanic that doesn't mean it's not diverse
You make good point that Latinos are a diverse group, but that's not what the UNDP said:

Quote:
In 2004, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) ranked Toronto second, behind Miami, Florida, in its list of the world's cities with the largest percentage of foreign-born population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 AM

8,016 posts, read 7,064,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
No when I have children and if I ever contemplated a move between Miami and Atlanta it would be Miami, more diverse schools. I would want my kids to see people from different parts of the world, not going to happen in Atlanta. You know where I live now? Miami is filthy cheap, practically free compared to here, so affordability is not an issue. And with affordability which Miami suits, the city offers a lot more than Atlanta, IMO. Theres no place like South Beach anywhere in Georgia

Miami wins, sorry
I cannot believe how much false information comes out of your mouth.Im damn near 40 and I went to schoolin the suburbs of Atlanta.My Sister is 10 years younger than me and went to the same high school.Her Valedictorian of her class Vietnamese at mine the girl was from India.My neibors were Indian,white ,black,interracial, Hispanic,and even British.

So please don't talk about what you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
LOL I don't know who gave me a rep comment calling me a "troll" because I have never been to Miami and I said it was nicer than Atlanta. I may have not been to either city but Miami is much more my type of city. Atlanta seems to be flat, boring, ugly, black catered. Miami seems like paradise with the beaches and warm weather along with lots of diversity. I can't wait to go to Miami someday!
You should not show so much ignorance.It does you a disservice.
Flat?Ever hear of the Appalachian Mountains?Black catered?Not evn gonna go there with you.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM

11,125 posts, read 9,474,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
The city of Atlanta has no majority (most likely) ethnicity:

Black: 49.7%
White: 40.8%
Latino: 5.3%
Asian: 3.1%

The City of Miami does:

Latino: 68.2%
Black: 18.8%
White: 11.6%
Asian: 0.8%

So if you are going to say that you like Miami better because it's multicultural while Atlanta is dominated by one race, then I hope you just guess that Miami was more diverse because that would make you dyslexic.

Just in case you don't get it, the city of Miami is almost 70% latino making what you said untrue.
Though it should be said that Latinos run a larger spectrum of people (Cubans have the plurality, but there are a lot of other Latin Americans) when you consider the Black and White population of Atlanta is mostly like black African-American and white Caucasian-American. That being said, the metros of both are fairly diverse.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 AM

4,383 posts, read 5,421,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I cannot believe how much false information comes out of your mouth.Im damn near 40 and I went to schoolin the suburbs of Atlanta.My Sister is 10 years younger than me and went to the same high school.Her Valedictorian of her class Vietnamese at mine the girl was from India.My neibors were Indian,white ,black,interracial, Hispanic,and even British.

I wonder to which school did you go to, because you typed neibors instead of neighbor, and also infamous past talk with sources. On the other hand, you speak without any source... So I wonder who is lying? Some people get vexed when they are told the truth and then they get in denial.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I wonder to which school did you go to, because you typed neibors instead of neighbor, and also infamous past talk with sources. On the other hand, you speak without any source... So I wonder who is lying? Some people get vexed when they are told the truth and then they get in denial.
Well because I do have class and I was raised with manners by 2 parents,I would never out right call someone a liar.I'd rather say it was an error or an oversight and that I do not agree.Its called being a Southern Gentleman.Of course I have to explain that to you as it seems totally foreign to you.But basically ,you're just not worth my time.
I also have no need to try and dissuade free thought in an open forum.Obviously every one is entitled to their opinion.This is why I never question his choice but rather the statement he made as if it were fact instead of opinion.
Now referring to my misspelling I could give a rats a88 about what you feel about my level of education because ultimately I'm more concerned about me than some little person who feels a need to single me out because they feel threatened apparently. I would suggest you look at the mirror and do some more work on you before you decide give "knowledge" to someone else.

By the way the source was my sister and I.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 AM

4,383 posts, read 5,421,092 times
Quote:
Well because I do have class and I was raised with manners by 2 parents,I would never out right call someone a liar.I'd rather say it was an error or an oversight and that I do not agree.Its called being a Southern Gentleman.Of course I have to explain that to you as it seems totally foreign to you.But basically ,you're just not worth my time.
I also have no need to try and dissuade free thought in an open forum.Obviously every one is entitled to their opinion.This is why I never question his choice but rather the statement he made as if it were fact instead of opinion.
Now referring to my misspelling I could give a rats a88 about what you feel about my level of education because ultimately I'm more concerned about me than some little person who feels a need to single me out because they feel threatened apparently. I would suggest you look at the mirror and do some more work on you before you decide give "knowledge" to someone else.

By the way the source was my sister and I.
Oh wow so you are saying that you don't have education? I could speak on knowledge because I have a Master's degree. Perhaps I need to talk to someone on my level I guess.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 AM

818 posts, read 426,133 times
Quote:

I prefer a city where I can see the diversity, that is obviously Miami. So no, I would not want my children schooling in Atlanta, and getting addicted to southern rap and all that mumbo jumbo

Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Oh wow so you are saying that you don't have education? I could speak on knowledge because I have a Master's degree. Perhaps I need to talk to someone on my level I guess.
LOL.You really think a master degree makes you smart or smarter?Thats good for you.Its obvious you feel a need for someone somewhere to validate you other than YOURSELF.Im glad you think so highly of yourself. How have you made the world better now that you have a masters degree?

What I really would like to know seriously why do you hold a chip on your shoulder solely based on the place you are from?Why do you always feel a need to constantly insult,degrade,disrespect others for the places in which people come from or decide to reside in.Personally I have moved many different places because i wanted to be sure I was not missing out on something different that might actually be better than what I was used too.Sure I was born and raised mainly in the South with some periods in Philly and Chicago.Yet even though I came to the conclusion that the places i had lived were not the best fit for me,I found something in EVERY place I had been and wish I could add it to the city that I eventually called home.Atlanta.So that said.Even though you have reminded us constantly of how inferior anywhere outside of New York and the South(except Miami;of course ),how can you still think that NYC is perfect the way it is and actually could benefit from looking?W outward at other areas of the country and the world.Why does everything have to be so black and white with you?
I have seen this pattern in New Yorkers ALL the time.TRUST ME...Its NOT an endearing quality.Truth is,I dont think you(like many from NYC) give a damn that many places in the U.S. just DO NOT WANT TO BE NYC! I really think you guys are oblivious and happily to be so.
So you tell me.Is that a far assessment or am I being dramatic?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I prefer a city where I can see the diversity, that is obviously Miami. So no, I would not want my children schooling in Atlanta, and getting addicted to southern rap and all that mumbo jumbo
This is what im talking about right here.Im so glad you chose Miami.Maybe its better you hang out with Uncle Luke and Trick Daddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRN0...307430AA85D92C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City