Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does lack of car ownership suggest a "broke-like" connotation in your city?
Yes, I would be dismissed by most females without explanation 42 47.19%
No, we would blissfully walk to the bus/train station hand-in-hand frowning at drivers along the way 17 19.10%
Indifferent, my city is nicely balanced so people generally don't care one way or the other 30 33.71%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
To clarify, this has less to do with urbanity and walkability, but moreso the general stigma that is associated with lack of car ownership in many US cities.

With that said, here's the scenario and inspiration for the thread:

One of my colleagues resides in what is considered by most to be an American top 5 urban center with unprecedented density and superior mass transit. While killing time at a bar, she was approached by a gentleman who was interested, and offered her a drink which she subsequently accepted. Toward the end of the night as she was preparing to leave, he asked to be dropped off at home roughly 8 blocks away. She refused, so I proceeded with the obligatory, loaded "why not?" Having known her for some time now, I expected her to say "he could've been Ted Bundy's lil' brother for all knew." She finally responded "are you kidding me, who the hell do I look like, Miss Daisy?"

This response, albeit predictable based on familiarity with the individual, surprised me because of the general preference toward public transit that has become so commonplace on this particular site. So to paraphrase, if you are male- would the average female in your city (excluding NYC) all but laugh in your face once informed that you do not own a car(s). I am aware that NYC is the exception, but what about other urban centers? Is this grounds for dismissal, or no?
Dismissal? No.. I know tons of people who don't have a car, or even a driver's license here. I've only driven intermittently in the last 8 years. I could have a Maybach sitting on the street but still wouldn't drive it, easier to take public transit. I don't think a girl here would laugh unless they are from the burbs, then again, I have a gf, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't date anybody in the suburbs... just a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times
here in austin it doesn't seem to be a big deal.... but it depends on the crowd, or type of people. the hispanics here are all about driving cars and the hispanic women seem to prefer men with cars. but the hippies all prefer their men with skinny jeans and a fixie.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Try living in Detroit w/o wheels. I did for about a month until I got a car, having moved there from Manhattan. Boy do people look at you weird when you say, "Can't stay tonight. I have to get the bus." Only people taking the bus there were, I was told, on welfare or had so many DUIs they didn't have a license. And some of them drove anyway.
this is true

Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
its like that in baltimore too.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
I live car free in Cleveland and use the trains and BRT. I live in an urban neighborhood where this is easy though.

Usually when I tell people I live car free, they are either impressed or shrug it off.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
I live in Detroit. The car is king... For now.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
What if the woman doesn't have a car?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
In Boston, whether or not you own a car never comes up in conversation.

I don't own one, and I'm certainly not broke.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:51 PM

16 posts, read 103,637 times
OP has 0 realization of anything outside of NYC.

Not everybody can just hop on a bus when you live in a small town or city.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
Hell even in Queens not having a car is looked at weirdly. Except for the super urban neighborhoods close to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City