U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 136 60.99%
Dallas-Fort Worth 87 39.01%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,940,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It is much better than the Dallas Zoo. I think it is better than the Houston Zoo too.

I like San Diego, Fort Worth, Houston, Cleveland, St Louis, and Cincinnati zoos the best. All of these have a ton of different species
The Dallas Zoo had a major expansion, the zoo is way better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,268,695 times
Infamous Past, even though that cowboy/western culture isn't really my cup of tea either I do appreciate that Ft Worth does embrace its heritage rather than try to sweep it under the rug. Ft Worth does definitely have a more urban cowboy feel to it and with it being right up against Dallas which is such a stark contrast I think that makes it even more prominent. I think your use of the work "hick" is what is setting people off. Rather than putting FW down for this you should appreciate a city embracing its past. It seems like a lot of folks on here automatically write a place off instead of opening their minds and see what a particular place has to offer. Ft Worth does have a great zoo, great museums and other interesting features. But like I've said before, I would never say FW is better than Dallas and it does have more character and charm since it celebrates its past overall, but the city neighborhoods etc are not as nice as in Dallas.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,481,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The Dallas Zoo had a major expansion, the zoo is way better.
How many species does the Dallas zoo have now? We just had an expansion too. We added an African Forest.

back in 2001 we were tied with San Diego for most species, I don't know what the rankings are now.

2001 rankings:
1. San Diego Zoo and Houston Zoo (tied) 800 species

2. Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo 740

3. Denver Zoo 720

4. Toledo Zoo 715

5. St. Louis Zoo 700+

Time For Kids | Classroom | Home | Top 5 U.S. Zoos with the Most Species (http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/teachers/ns/article/0,27972,108004,00.html - broken link)

I think both San Diego and Houston are passed 900 species now

Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,864,421 times
Quote:
FW zoo is awesome man. I liked it a lot and have only heard excellent things from others who have visited it. Not sure where it ranks in US zoo listings but it should be up there
lol was just joking by the pic

Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
How many species does the Dallas zoo have now? We just had an expansion too. We added an African Forest.

back in 2001 we were tied with San Diego for most species, I don't know what the rankings are now.

2001 rankings:
1. San Diego Zoo and Houston Zoo (tied) 800 species

2. Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo 740

3. Denver Zoo 720

4. Toledo Zoo 715

5. St. Louis Zoo 700+

Time For Kids | Classroom | Home | Top 5 U.S. Zoos with the Most Species (http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/teachers/ns/article/0,27972,108004,00.html - broken link)

I think both San Diego and Houston are passed 900 species now
We added a exhibit called the Giants of the Savanna. It's really nice. It covers 11 acres, this expansion made the Dallas Zoo the largest zoo in Texas. (Dallas Zoo covers 106 acres)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdy21LBsMKU

Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol was just joking by the pic
lol, I know, that is why I just said it was awesome instead of going on about all the different species at th FW zoo. I knew you were joking about the animals but wanted to make sure you knew it was awesome

Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We added a exhibit called the Giants of the Savanna. It's really nice. It covers 11 acres, this expansion made the Dallas Zoo the largest zoo in Texas. (Dallas Zoo covers 106 acres)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdy21LBsMKU
It is twice as large as the one here, but it is large in space only, I think the Dallas Zoo is 4th largest in terms of number of species after Houston, San Antonio and Fort Worth. Dallas is still ahead of Austin though, there zoo is still just starting off.

The Houston Zoo is part of a park complex so it is rather constrained for space and doesn't include other areas that may be calculated as park space. In the Park, outside the zoo there is the park itself, parking, lakes, a golf course, Japanese Koi Gardens, an outdoor theater, a Garden Center, a reflection pond, etc.

I noticed that the Dallas Zoo is kinda spread out in between exhibits.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,864,421 times
Quote:
lol, I know, that is why I just said it was awesome instead of going on about all the different species at th FW zoo. I knew you were joking about the animals but wanted to make sure you knew it was awesome
My fear on here is often people will take me too literally... And post, no wayyy FW has all kinds of critters, alligators lions and giraffes. haha

Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,955,151 times
Quote:
It is twice as large as the one here, but it is large in space only, I think the Dallas Zoo is 4th largest in terms of number of species after Houston, San Antonio and Fort Worth. Dallas is still ahead of Austin though, there zoo is still just starting off.

The Houston Zoo is part of a park complex so it is rather constrained for space and doesn't include other areas that may be calculated as park space. In the Park, outside the zoo there is the park itself, parking, lakes, a golf course, Japanese Koi Gardens, an outdoor theater, a Garden Center, a reflection pond, etc.

Austin doesn't even really have a zoo.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it is. It has alot of park-like areas in the zoo. There's a street that separates the zoo. You have to go under the tunnel to reach the other side.

EDIT: there's a park in the zoo called Marsalis Park

Here's the park sign in the Dallas Zoo

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-05-2011 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City