Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times

Advertisements

Why has a thread comparison between Boston & Dallas lasted this long? I've actually never seen these two cities to end up with threads in which they're featured to last that long. Oh and by the way, post # 391 checkin' in.

Let's talk about something else rather than racism and stuff, that topic is just a bit of what we don't need haha. You've got two places with nearly 7 million people +, it shouldn't be that hard discussing things, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Why has a thread comparison between Boston & Dallas lasted this long?
Because they have so many differences. Politically, economically, differences in education, topography, architecture, and weather. Density and sprawl is probably the biggest topic of urban debate on CD. Boston is the poster child of density and Dallas is a symbolic of a spread out Sunbelt city. Boston is old and historic, Dallas is modern and contemporary. The comparisons go on and on, and they conjure up different feelings to different people. If you did a Boston vs. NYC thread it would stray way off topic and go into sports rivalries and whatnot, not to mention NYC would carry thread domination. If it was Boston vs. LA it would become more or less of an East Coast vs. West Coast argument. Dallas vs. Houston conjures up endless sibling like bickering with the Texas realm. Dallas vs. Boston presents a more dynamic debate. Yet at the end of the day they are both all American cities and both represent many different angles of the American dream.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-08-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Newbury St - Boston

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

It looks ok. I thought it would look way better than that.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Highland Park Village was built in 1931 as the first self-contained shopping center in America. This shopping center is a National Historic Landmark. The total retail floor area is 200,000 sq ft. The shopping center has 101 stores.

Beretta Gallery & Loro Piana

Café Pacific

Chanel

Escada

Highland Park Village Storefronts

Harry Winston

Hermés

Carolina Herrera

Jimmy Choo

Mi Cocina

Molto Formaggio, Lafco TX, and Celebrity Bakery

Highland Park Theatre

http://www.hpvillage.com/wp-content/gallery/highland-park-village-gallery/theater-night.jpg (broken link)

Tom Thumb Grocery Store

Tory Burch, Noble Boutique, Harry Winston, and Hermés

http://www.hpvillage.com/wp-content/gallery/highland-park-village-gallery/tory-noble-harry-hermes-night.jpg (broken link)

Tory Burch

Williams Sonoma & Warron Barrόn Bridal

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I didn't mean to post anything to come off bitter...I suppose I just get annoyed because it falls into the "racist Boston" category...

However that was before I read your post which is slightly more than emotionally charged.

I'd like to note that my previous comparison between MA, Miss, GA, and TX wasn't meant to get you emotionally charged. I made the comparison because Mississippi has the highest percentage of African Americans in the nation...though after second-thought I could have left them out. I chose Georgia because it's your state and also because GA is a very good example of a thriving state with a large African American population. I chose Texas for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure how you're relating this to earlier posts. Where did I say anything that makes you believe I think everyone needs to live in Massachusetts to get a good education?

My previous post simply responded to your earlier comments about the gap between black & white students in Massachusetts. I just wanted to point out that despite this gap, Massachusetts provides a very good education to African Americans. If you look at the stats, Mass gets the highest score in the country for both white and black students. I know you said education is not about numbers, it's about interaction...but since I don't know of any statistic that quantifies "interaction", I will focus on the stats we do have.

Why are you bringing up that you "have no desire to live in MA or the Northeast"? When did anyone make claims that you did?
Well I know that must be a sensitive subject especially if you love your home as much as i love mine.But that was not so much aimed at Boston.It would be any city that had that gap.I only made the remark about the NE not being cup of tea because I have knowledge on some level about what i there and I know what I like.Doen't mean its bad.I often deal with international students and interns that come to Atlanta.They always ask me about going to visit certain cities and my opinion.I tell them to go to Boston for the History and culture and how world class it is.I have my own opinions but I rarely give them out because I believe things change or you can miss something that would have made it more more enjoyable.

Now if I sounded "emotional",it really was not that serious.But I was a little agitated when you said:
Quote:
It's odd to think you prefer a worse education, as long as everyone experiences that worse education on a slightly more balanced level.
ou
Good luck with that!
How would you take it had I said that to you?Especially if you consider yourself capable of understanding the importance of education?

I said the remark about living in MA because we down South get hit over the head CONSTANTLY especially from MA about how inferior we are.True or not its just ignorant to think that because you are educated at a lower level that you cannot achieve knowledge where you are at least in the relative realm of learning.Some people act like the South is Haiti and MA(i.e.N.E.) is Sweden!It was more of "here we go again",not trying to attack you personally.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Highland Park Village was built in 1931 as the first self-contained shopping center in America. This shopping center is a National Historic Landmark. The total retail floor area is 200,000 sq ft. The shopping center has 101 stores.

Beretta Gallery & Loro Piana
Café Pacific
Chanel
Escada
Highland Park Village Stores
Harry Winston
Hermés
Carolina Herrera
Jimmy Choo
Mi Cocina
Molto Formaggio, Lafco TX, and Celebrity Bakery
Highland Park Theatre
Tom Thumb Grocery Store
Tory Burch, Noble Boutique, Harry Winston, and Hermés
Tory Burch
Williams Sonoma & Warron Barrόn Bridal

Oh jeez... are we back on this again? Honestly how many of us C-D writers actually shop at places like this? Admittedly those are attractive shopping venues, certainly better than those faux and cheesey plastic suburban town centers and sterile interior mall pics, but really...post a skyline pic of Dallas, something to really impress an audience.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Oh jeez... are we back on this again? Honestly how many of us C-D writers actually shop at places like this? Admittedly those are attractive shopping venues, certainly better than those faux and cheesey plastic suburban town centers and sterile interior mall pics, but really...post a skyline pic of Dallas, something to really impress an audience.
I dont see why it matters. We have just about all the same shops, the difference is that ours are in a mall and yours are streetfront (minus Copely Place which is a mall). But they are still the same shops and they carry the same s**t.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont see why it matters. We have just about all the same shops, the difference is that ours are in a mall and yours are streetfront (minus Copely Place which is a mall). But they are still the same shops and they carry the same s**t.
Exactly, I really do not see the difference.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,427 times
Neither.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Now if I sounded "emotional",it really was not that serious.But I was a little agitated when you said:

How would you take it had I said that to you?Especially if you consider yourself capable of understanding the importance of education?
I understand why that would agitate you...I should have expressed myself more clearly. That was a direct response to when you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I knew I would get question on the k-12.So here is my point.Im a African American.I have recently looked at how cities and states fair as far as the achievement gap.The achievement gap is higher in Boston than Dallas.So for me,I don't care how good the system is if it cant educate all its citizens more fairly.So I gave it to Dallas.
My point was that given the statistics you listed, African Americans in Massachusetts score the highest of any other state in the country. I understand the gap was large for 8th grade mathematics, but in the 3 other categories listed, the gaps are very comparable to national and TX averages. At the same time, I think it was my fault because I was a little worked up about defending my state and worded my response in a condescending, antagonizing way. My bad.

Quote:
I said the remark about living in MA because we down South get hit over the head CONSTANTLY especially from MA about how inferior we are.True or not its just ignorant to think that because you are educated at a lower level that you cannot achieve knowledge where you are at least in the relative realm of learning.Some people act like the South is Haiti and MA(i.e.N.E.) is Sweden!It was more of "here we go again",not trying to attack you personally.
I definitely know you can achieve a good education down South. As I've said before, I went to school in South Carolina...I didn't know many people who I would consider "dumb" (that went to the school haha), and some of the smartest people I met down there were products of Atlanta-area high schools.

Either way, I think we can agree we were both a little emotionally invested in some of our responses last night. Now let's all relax!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJxOHD3Bsrw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City