Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most attractive and entertaining city?
Austin 38 21.71%
Nashville 46 26.29%
New Orleans 63 36.00%
Portland 22 12.57%
C-D polls are pointless and stupid. I refuse to participate!!! 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2011, 04:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times

Advertisements

So I picked these four cities because they are similar sized metropolitan areas, they are magnets for young people in their 20's and early 30's, and they all have a very large creative classes for MSA's of their size especially in music and film. So please compare and contrast the cities and explain which one you prefer over all and why. Here's a few categories to start us off:

Music scene-
Film scene-
Over all art scene-
Architecture-
Skyline-
Urbanity and density-
public transportation-
Night life-
Festivals and events-
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)-
Whether-
Natural scenery and out door recreation-
Education and schools (universities and average education level)-
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature-
Most progressive-
Best city culture-
Friendliest people-
Best food scene-
most diverse-
most growth potential-
And of course, over all QOL-

I used quite a few categories, so feel free to only respond to as few categories or even add some if you like.

Oh, and last thing, PLEASE POST PICTURES AND VIDEOS!!! I could scour the internet to find a few, but I'm more curious to see what everyone else post, at least at first.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM

322 posts, read 614,579 times
I've only been to New Orleans and Nashville. Nashville is awesome but I gotta give it to New Orleans. I mean one is rock and country and the other is jazz and blues. One is a clean mountain city and the other is a dirty swamp city. When I go to Nashville I have a great time. When I go to New Orleans I have the time of my life lol

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM

285 posts, read 567,891 times
Definitely Portland based on transit, amenities, culture, weather, etc. Austin and Nashville are both decent cities and both are good places for young people to live. New Orleans might be cool to visit for a couple of days, but the city is a complete sewer and is by far the worst to live in among these four.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
So I picked these four cities because they are similar sized metropolitan areas, they are magnets for young people in their 20's and early 30's, and they all have a very large creative classes for MSA's of their size especially in music and film. So please compare and contrast the cities and explain which one you prefer over all and why. Here's a few categories to start us off:

Music scene-New Orleans or Nashville. depends on the kind of music
Film scene-don't know
Over all art scene-Portland or New Orleans-depends on the kind of art
Architecture-new Orleans
Skyline-Austin
Urbanity and density-Portland
public transportation-Portland
Night life-don't know
Festivals and events-New Orleans
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)-
Whether-Austin
Natural scenery and out door recreation-Portland
Education and schools (universities and average education level)-don't know
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature-portland
Most progressive-don't know
Best city culture-New Orleans
Friendliest people-New Orleans
Best food scene-New Orleans
most diverse-New Orleans
most growth potential-Austin
And of course, over all QOL-Nashville

I used quite a few categories, so feel free to only respond to as few categories or even add some if you like.

Oh, and last thing, PLEASE POST PICTURES AND VIDEOS!!! I could scour the internet to find a few, but I'm more curious to see what everyone else post, at least at first.
new Orlenas got the best

Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
In order:
1. New Orleans
2. Nashville
3. Portland
4. Austin

Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM

312 posts, read 436,925 times
1. Austin
2. Portland
3. Nashville
4. New Orleans

Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

Music scene- Nashville
Film scene- Austin
Over all art scene- Probably New Orleans
Architecture- New Orleans
Skyline- Austin
Urbanity and density- Portland, although NOLA and even Austin are respectable contenders
public transportation- Portland
Night life- New Orleans, although Austin and Nashville are respectable contenders
Festivals and events- New Orleans
Best tourist destination (feel free to give a specific time of the year. New Orleans during Mardi gras, Austin during SXSW, Portland during the spring, etc.)- New Orleans during Mardi Gras, spring and fall
Whether- For weather, Portland b/c it's not so hot and humid for so long
Natural scenery and out door recreation- Portland, no contest
Education and schools (universities and average education level)- Austin
Geographical location relative to surrounding cities, region, and nature- Portland for geographic diversity, Nashville for ease of access to other large metropolises
Most progressive- Austin (sorry, Portland)
Best city culture- Hmmmmm...NOLA is vibrant in its inner core with a vibrant nightlife and beautiful architecture, but rather dirty. Nashville has a vibrant and clean downtown but really is quite low density otherwise for an eastern city. Tie between Portland and Austin.
Friendliest people- Austin, although Portland is probably a respectable contender
Best food scene- New Orleans
most diverse- Austin, no contest
most growth potential- Austin, and not just demonstrated by its past growth
And of course, over all QOL-Portland for sake of urban amenities, geography and weather, but Austin because of warmer winters, music scene and great parks. Nashville feels just too small and colloquial for a large city. NOLA is dirty, crime-ridden and decaying, let's face it. Tie between Austin and Portland.

Austin also has a world-renowned university in UT-Austin. It has great music shows like SXSW and ACL that draw people from all over the world. Nashville has a diverse music scene, but its tremendous influence is country music (yuck!) and Bonnaroo Music Festival is a good 90 minutes southeast of the city.

Austin also has the most educated populace of the four cities, an extensive park system, is quite historic (for the middle of the country), and is close to the Texas Hill County which, while not as majestic as the Cascades near Portland, still offers a ton of recreational opportunities close-by. Nashville has the Smokies, although 4-4.5 hours away and...Kentucky Lake in West Tennessee. NOLA has an oil-drenced Gulf of Mexico and bayous for fishing, if that's your thing.

Austin for the win!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Austin also has a world-renowned university in UT-Austin. It has great music shows like SXSW and ACL that draw people from all over the world. Nashville has a diverse music scene, but its tremendous influence is country music (yuck!) and Bonnaroo Music Festival is a good 90 minutes southeast of the city.

Austin also has the most educated populace of the four cities, an extensive park system, is quite historic (for the middle of the country), and is close to the Texas Hill County which, while not as majestic as the Cascades near Portland, still offers a ton of recreational opportunities close-by. Nashville has the Smokies, although 4-4.5 hours away and...Kentucky Lake in West Tennessee. NOLA has an oil-drenced Gulf of Mexico and bayous for fishing, if that's your thing.

Austin for the win!
Preach it!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,049,618 times
NOLA this is where the culture started and there would not be a rock festival in Austin if it wasn't for the music that came out of NOLA. OK we also have Tulane and Vanderbilt

Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
NOLA this is where the culture started and there would not be a rock festival in Austin if it wasn't for the music that came out of NOLA. OK we also have Tulane and Vanderbilt
Who's "we"? New Orleans AND Nashville? Are we ganging up now?!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City