Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 319.2)
Crime in Albuquerque 2009 - 511.8
Crime in Caynon, TX - 80.3
Crime in El Paso - 261.5
Crime in Lubbock 2009 - 529.2
References:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...ew-Mexico.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Canyon-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/El-Paso-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Lubbock-Texas.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM

437 posts, read 925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
According to this interactive map, more people moved from Bernalillo County to Lubbock Country in 2008 (the time period covered by this map) than vice versa (which I admit I find surprising). Only slightly more moved from Lubbock to El Paso than the other way around.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
This map is pretty interesting.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 PM

149 posts, read 357,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Wrong. Incorrect. Define and explain High Crime, compared to what?

Yes El Paso is hotter... El Paso has a low crime rate. http://www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...t-city-us.html

I wonder how much time, if any, you have spent in El Paso...

OK. I checked on Wikipedia and since they reference the FBI's UCR statistics, El Paso has a lower murder rate than other locales but do the statistics take into account bodies found outside the city's limits? EP's sister city Juarez, which I didn't take the time to research, surely, more than makes up for the lack of crime in than its Texas sister.

The same wiki article also lists Albuquerque's violent crime statistics at somewhat higher than other cities listed there but is definitely not the lowest at 7.69. Detriot's total violent crime index is almost 20 which is almost 3 times that of Albuquerque. That doesn't mean ABQ isn't violent with a murder of rate 51 total bodies, or a little less than 10 per 100,000 people in 2008, which I got off of the City's website. The ratio is definitely not high but that's a lot of dead folks in numbers if you ask me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Lubbock had 14 murders, which is a little less than 7 per 100,00 is a much lower ratio but still a lot dead folks.

No, I haven't spent a lot of time in El Paso to be honest, I'm a little afraid of visiting based on what my cousins tell me who live there. And, to be honest, I don't talk to a whole lot with them.

Finally Poncho, I did check the link you posted but it is a City-Data stat and references a magazine which in truth I skimmed through. So, I am not sure how reputable or reliable the article actually is. Here is one I found on a google search; Let's not read too much into El Paso's low crime rate - Sleepless in Midland

It has 'blog' in the URL so how reputable is that?

So yeah, I can see your position, partially at any rate, but you won't convince me that EP is that safe of a city when you compare it to Lubbock. Statistics and $2.99 will buy an Itsaburger though.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
According to this interactive map, more people moved from Bernalillo County to Lubbock Country in 2008 (the time period covered by this map) than vice versa (which I admit I find surprising). Only slightly more moved from Lubbock to El Paso than the other way around.
Interesting map, but it shows 95 folks moving from Bern Co to Lubbock Co vs 86 moving the other way. El Paso to Lubbock is 136 people vs Lubbock to El Paso is 146. Bet these differences are within the error margin of the underlying data. Certainly not what I would call significant.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Let's put Albuquerque's murders in context with another, similar sized city..

Washington, DC.. 599,657 in July 2009

Albuquerque 528,497 in July 2009.

(I consider a 10% difference in size to be close enough for comparison)..

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm

In 1991, the peak year, Washington, DC had 474 homicides. Things have improved a lot, though
and last year Washington "only" had 144, just about 3 times that of "crime ridden" Albuquerque..

One is too many, but....

Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Additionally, I believe Lubbock is in a 'dry' county meaning you cannot even buy alcohol there.

Sorry but you believe wrong.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
I have a home in Albuquerque and one north of Lubbock. I have to pick Lubbock over Albuquerque for living.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Interesting map, but it shows 95 folks moving from Bern Co to Lubbock Co vs 86 moving the other way. El Paso to Lubbock is 136 people vs Lubbock to El Paso is 146. Bet these differences are within the error margin of the underlying data. Certainly not what I would call significant.
Maybe so, but I thought it was still an improvement over the merely anecdotal.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Albuquerque has mountains with many miles of hiking trails and skiing in winter. Lubbock has none.

Albuquerque is close to Santa Fe, a major tourist destination. Lubbock is not close to anything.

Lubbock may be a nice place to live if those other things aren't important to you. There are just many more kinds of recreational opportunities available in the ABQ area compared to Lubbock.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,511 times
I would choose Albuquerque. After all, they have amazing mountains and sunsets - and they practically have their own distinctive cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City