Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the most powerful city in the US?
No 213 66.15%
Yes 109 33.85%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times

Advertisements

ny is clearly more powerful. the govt bowed to wall st. not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
^^^^^^^If I'm not mistaken the government saved thousands of jobs and 401k's. Wall Street was down for the count along with 2 of the Big Three. The Feds showed you how much power they wield by bailing them out. If NYC is so powerful, why did they need a bail out?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
ny is clearly more powerful. the govt bowed to wall st. not the other way around.
Even if what you are saying were true, the fact is Wall Street still had to "ask" for it. Its not like they could just take it I mean come on this is the Govt we're talking about here not some local bank. If Wall Street had real power they would of taken it witout it even making the headline news and Its called "classified" my friend.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM

239 posts, read 305,966 times
To put it bluntly, the United States DID NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

There is not a chance in hell the Government wouldn't have "bailed out" Wall Street. Wall Street held America hostage. Wait, Wall Street actually held the world hostage. Not the other way around. Clearly, one has to be well versed in the subject of Economics to fully understand this concept which is more more complex than the dense grade school "well, government has the the final say so" argument you're so desperately trying to make.

Ezra Klein - Does Wall Street control the government?

The Government is New York's lap dog. LOL! I know this may hurt but there is no single city or economy on planet earth as powerful as New York and the New York financial markets. New York puts a new president in the white house every 4-8 years (be it from media storyline or NY $$), New York can collapse the world economy, New York's media sways the world's conversation and storyline whichever way it sees fit.

There is no region on planet earth with as much wealth, power and influence as New York City. New York City is not only the most powerful city in the United States, it's the most powerful city in the world.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
To put it bluntly, the United States DID NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

There is not a chance in hell the Government wouldn't have "bailed out" Wall Street. Wall Street held America hostage. Wait, Wall Street actually held the world hostage. Not the other way around. Clearly, one has to be well versed in the subject of Economics to fully understand this concept which is more more complex than the dense grade school "well, government has the the final say so" argument you're so desperately trying to make.

Ezra Klein - Does Wall Street control the government?

The Government is New York's lap dog. LOL! I know this may hurt but there is no single city or economy on planet earth as powerful as New York and the New York financial markets. New York puts a new president in the white house every 4-8 years (be it from media storyline or NY $$), New York can collapse the world economy, New York's media sways the world's conversation and storyline whichever way it sees fit.

There is no region on planet earth with as much wealth, power and influence as New York City. New York City is not only the most powerful city in the United States, it's the most powerful city in the world.
I guess you just happen to miss this paragraph in your little Article you post that I quoted right below. -->>
Quote:
In other words, it's our government deciding to assemble a cooperative ruling coalition - which includes banks -- at the heart of its fiscal core. It's our government deciding who belongs to this coalition and who does not, mostly for reasons of political expediency and also a perception - correct or not -- of what is best for the welfare of American voters. If we don't in this year "get tough" with banking regulation, it's because our government itself doesn't want to, not because of some stubborn recalcitrant Republicans.

Sounds like to me the Govt. still has the last say no matter how you view or try to dress it up . At the end of the day when America's back is pressed against the Wall its the Govt that has to make all the tough decisions, Not Wall Street or for that matter anything or anyone in NY, but that was a nice try though.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
i agree that ny is the most influential, but it doesn't hold the most "power." while it has a lot of money, it definitely isn't only place with rich people in america. dc also has a ton of money. there are millionaires and billionaires all over the country (la, dc, sf, mia, chi, seattle, htown, atl) who can sway washington for a price. but that's just it. the decisions are made in washington.

washington decides this

and don't take this the wrong way because jobs are important, but new york decides this

both are equally important in my opinion. washington decides who lives, dies, and makes life changing decisions. and new york tells us how many people may lose or gain jobs or make or lose money. both go hand in hand. we need money to pay for military etc but we need military to defend that money.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you're talking about political power, then definitely yes. Otherwise, overall no.
And military might. DC can and does kick tail.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
I like how you start out w/:

Quote:
Clearly, one has to be well versed in the subject of Economics to fully understand this concept which is more more complex than the dense grade school "well, government has the the final say so" .
..and then preceed to move into a "dense grade school argument"...

Quote:
The Government is New York's lap dog. LOL! I know this may hurt but there is no single city or economy on planet earth as powerful as New York and the New York financial markets. New York puts a new president in the white house every 4-8 years (be it from media storyline or NY $$), New York can collapse the world economy, New York's media sways the world's conversation and storyline whichever way it sees fit. .
The NY vs. DC more powerful argument is pretty impossible to settle conclusively, given the very different nature of their power. By the conventional measures of a city, NYC obvious destroys DC. But, NYC has no organization that can match the power of US government.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post

washington decides who lives, dies, and makes life changing decisions. and new york tells us how many people may lose or gain jobs or make or lose money. both go hand in hand. we need money to pay for military etc but we need military to defend that money.
Actually to be fair, NYC has lots of influence over the economy, but not really top-down power. People don't sit down in NYC and collectivly decide the shape of the economy, the way policymakers in DC sit around and decide war, interest rates and health care reform.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM

239 posts, read 305,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
I guess you just happen to miss this paragraph in your little Article you post that I quoted right below. -->> Sounds like to me the Govt. still has the last say no matter how you view or try to dress it up . At the end of the day when America's back is pressed against the Wall its the Govt that has to make all the tough decisions, Not Wall Street or for that matter anything or anyone in NY, but that was a nice try though.
Read the entire article before trying to get my attention. Check out the poll results, I'm not sure why I'm even wasting my time arguing a topic in which city-data posters overwhelmingly agree that DC is not the most powerful city in the United States.

You can argue, whine and cry all you like but nothing will change the fact that NYC is indeed the most powerful city on earth. Embrace reality and get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City