Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the most powerful city in the US?
No 213 66.15%
Yes 109 33.85%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
K.O.N.Y DC is simply a district the nation created to be a center for our government. DC doesnt have those agencies because its a powerful city.
Well if we all looked at it from this standpoint, then the same the goes for NY because all that money that was on Wall Street belonged to the entire Country, so please dont tell me you actually thought that all that money belonged to NY. The same way the people of this Country made DC home to the US Govt is the same way we made NY the Financial Cap and I dont know why you people think that it was any different. The US Govt is apart of DC just as much as Finances is apart of NY, so if your gonna take the Govt from DC, then we'll just take our finances out of NY and call it even then.

Quote:
K.O.N.Y To be honest the government really should be in NYC if you look at it from the outside,but its not because thats how america wanted it
They tryed that already, where on earth have you been and like you said America wanted it where?-> thats right DC not NY my friend (DC>NY).

Quote:
K.O.N.Y Plus it would be overkill. Dcs power is nation power, Dc gets its power from cities like nyc,chicago(states)texas, cali etc not the other way around. Dc serves their best interest. Those are the places that hold the true power in the states
Yeah they all hold power, but not the kind of power that we're talking about in this thread, This kind of power only lives in DC with NY being next in line. As far as DC serving there best interest well of course, their our fellow Americans and we serve the same country, so what is your point here?

Quote:
K.O.N.Y NYC is full of new york based.born and bred financial institutions and firms
They may be born & bred, but as we all can see they're still tamable. after all, they only loss nearly all of the Countries money in almost a blink of an eye, but they're suppose to be so powerful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
BNe

23 posts, read 55,508 times
Okay DC might be where decisions are made.. but that isn't where the people who made the decisions came from, it is just where they have to make them. That's like saying every industry is centered in Las Vegas because they go there to meet. The senators don't spend hardly any time there when congress isn't in session, and when it is in session they spend on average t-th there.

So where do the people who make the decisions come from up until Washington. Bernanke taught at Princeton, Geithner worked in NYC, Hillary was in politics in NY, Patreaus was born 50 miles north of NY.

New York holds the power, it just so happens that people meet up and make decisions in Washington, big whoop, that's all it has going for it.. The Vegas of government.

Bam. Arguement won. What's next?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Quote:
Well if we all looked at it from this standpoint, then the same the goes for NY because all that money that was on Wall Street belonged to the entire Country, so please dont tell me you actually thought that all that money belonged to NY. The same way the people of this Country made DC home to the US Govt is the same way we made NY the Financial Cap and I dont know why you people think that it was any different. The US Govt is apart of DC just as much as Finances is apart of NY, so if your gonna take the Govt from DC, then we'll just take our finances out of NY and call it even then.
How did America make NYC a financial cap? Most of the time, as seen in other countries, the financial cap tends to be in the actual capitol itself. It seems to me that NYC positioned itself to be the city where finances would be the best place to do business. Looking back it seemed Boston or Philly could have had that position. It was new york based institutions like the "NEW YORK" stock exchange among other things, that made new york the financial capitol. Its not like America went out of its way to say "hey, this is where all the money is going" Like the govt did when appointing our political capitol
Quote:
They tryed that already, where on earth have you been and like you said America wanted it where?-> thats right DC not NY my friend (DC>NY).
Ya and i think new york would have worked out fine. To the best of my knowledge the south wanted the capitol to be closer to the south and not so far in the north. Thus it was placed in DC

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah they all hold power, but not the kind of power that we're talking about in this thread, This kind of power only lives in DC with NY being next in line. As far as DC serving there best interest well of course, their our fellow Americans and we serve the same country, so what is your point here?
The point is the government is a national entity, the city of DC has nothing to do with it. The actual city of DC is unremarkable next to true powerful cities like ldn,nyc,chicago,paris. Just like Albany to NYC. Albany is where the big decisions are made. But only Charlie Sheen would say that its more powerful than NYC because of that. Nyc has an influence on albany in nystate the way nyc,chicago,la etc have an influence on DC in the US
Quote:
They may be born & bred, but as we all can see they're still tamable. after all, they only loss nearly all of the Countries money in almost a blink of an eye, but they're suppose to be so powerful.
lol BINGO

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
How did America make NYC a financial cap? Most of the time, as seen in other countries, the financial cap tends to be in the actual capitol itself. It seems to me that NYC positioned itself to be the city where finances would be the best place to do business. Looking back it seemed Boston or Philly could have had that position. It was new york based institutions like the "NEW YORK" stock exchange among other things, that made new york the financial capitol. Its not like America went out of its way to say "hey, this is where all the money is going" Like the govt did when appointing our political capitol
that really has nothing to do with actual "power," just that nyc is the "financial capital." and "all the money" is not going to ny. ny holds a fraction of the wealth in this country. it has the most, but far from the majority. this country is pretty well balanced unlike the uk, france, etc.

Quote:
Ya and i think new york would have worked out fine. To the best of my knowledge the south wanted the capitol to be closer to the south and not so far in the north. Thus it was placed in DC
the difference is that new york isn't the capital and dc is. so the "ifs" and "buts" and hypothetical statements about the capital being located somewhere else are getting old and it's probably the weakest argument in this whole thread. dc is the capital and the argument that it could've been located somewhere else is pathetic. might as well say the same about ny and finance and la and hollywood. hollywood only went to la for weather and good film locations and finance only went to ny because of the stock exchange and the hub it was 100 years ago.

Quote:
The point is the government is a national entity, the city of DC has nothing to do with it. The actual city of DC is unremarkable next to true powerful cities like ldn,nyc,chicago,paris. Just like Albany to NYC. Albany is where the big decisions are made. But only Charlie Sheen would say that its more powerful than NYC because of that. Nyc has an influence on albany in nystate the way nyc,chicago,la etc have an influence on DC in the US
the dmv's gdp is 4th literally just behind chicago. so it can more than hold its own as a major player in the economy. it isn't all gov't in dc, saying that is like saying everybody in la works in hollywood. the dmv is 4th as an economy in the country and one of the richest metro areas in the country, so hell, dc has an influence on dc too. but that's all... an influence. ny has an influence, dc has an influence, sf, la, atl, chi, detroit they all have an influence on dc but the power and final say, ruling, declaration of war, or whatever lies in the dmv. that's what goes on minutes from my house. war is declared like 15 minutes from where i am typing right now. it's here, in dc, not denver, new york, or wherever "it could've been." eyes are always on washington, your ny based news networks are always discussing what's happening 15 minutes from me in dc.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 03-03-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Stop arguing with New York. DC is not near the top. NYC is El Guapo.
Claiming DC is tops is like saying Sacramento is the most powerful city in California....

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
BNe Okay DC might be where decisions are made.. but that isn't where the people who made the decisions came from, it is just where they have to make them. That's like saying every industry is centered in Las Vegas because they go there to meet.
LMAO

Okay, first of all you just proved our point LOL. You basically just said it your self that even though the people that work for the Govt. is not from DC they still have to move to DC if they want to have those powerful jobs, because DC is where the power is. Can you be the president and live in LA? NO. Does the Constitution Go to NY a sit around large tables in NY office buildings and Create laws? NO. Those are the kinds of decisions that can only be made in Washington, which is our point. Regardless if Obama is from Chicago or not they still would not let him take the job while still living in Chicago. Why? because you cant be the president and have that kind of power in Chicago. As for that whole Hollywood thing, Half of the Celebrities that ever made it in Hollywood aren't even from Hollywood and they need the talent/Media attention to perpetuate its influence the way that they always have. The same with NY. Did you really think that all those people that are involve in the NY Stock exchange, Wall Street, Hedge Funds, and Fed. Reserve Banks are all from NY? not at all. My point is its a waste of time trying to seclude the powers that's in any city, because regardless if those banks were born in NY all that money does not belong to NY only. If that was the case, then everybody wouldn't have been so mad at Wall street for loosing all that money.

Quote:
BNe The senators don't spend hardly any time there when congress isn't in session, and when it is in session they spend on average t-th there.
Again, you said it yourself "When Congress isn't in Session", but When Congress is in Sessions they better have their hiney's back in Washington if they know whats good for them .

Quote:
BNe So where do the people who make the decisions come from up until Washington. Bernanke taught at Princeton, Geithner worked in NYC, Hillary was in politics in NY, Patreaus was born 50 miles north of NY.
Who cares? all that matters is they cant make any decisions until they get to Washington.

Quote:
BNe New York holds the power, it just so happens that people meet up and make decisions in Washington, big whoop, that's all it has going for it.. The Vegas of government.
You guys really need to stop making excuses for NY its really lame
Quote:
BNe Bam. Arguement won. What's next?
you wish... its easily said than done my friend

Last edited by DMV; 03-03-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
I honestly can't fathom why this thread is so long for something so minimal.

Besides government what does DC bring to the table. . . . Exactly. End of thread.
You can say "Oh but the government makes us blah blah blah" Okay, believe what you'd like.

I voted No. Is it a powerful city, without a doubt. The Most? Absolutely not.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM

239 posts, read 305,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
LMAO
According to various studies on City Mayors, you're wrong.

City Mayors: World's most powerful cities

According to City-Data users, you're wrong.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2426/55767710.png (broken link)

According to Gawc, you're wrong.

In fact, everything on the net (rankings from all the experts) points to New York being the world's most powerful city. It's impossible to find anyone arguing in favor of DC.

NYC wins (as usual). Give it up.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
BNe

23 posts, read 55,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
LMAO

Okay, first of all you just proved our point LOL. You basically just said it your self that even though the people that work for the Govt. is not from DC they still have to move to DC if they want to have those powerful jobs, because DC is where the power is. Can you be the president and live in LA? NO. Does the Constitution Go to NY a sit around large tables in NY office buildings and Create laws? NO. Those are the kinds of decisions that can only be made in Washington, which is our point. Regardless if Obama is from Chicago or not they still would not let him take the job while still living in Chicago. Why? because you cant be the president and have that kind of power in Chicago. As for that whole Hollywood thing, Half of the Celebrities that ever made it in Hollywood aren't even from Hollywood and they need the talent/Media attention to perpetuate its influence the way that they always have. The same with NY. Did you really think that all those people that are involve in the NY Stock exchange, Wall Street, Hedge Funds, and Fed. Reserve Banks are all from NY? not at all. My point is its a waste of time trying to seclude the powers that's in any city, because regardless if those banks were born in NY all that money does not belong to NY only. If that was the case, then everybody wouldn't have been so mad at Wall street for loosing all that money.

Again, you said it yourself "When Congress isn't in Session", but When Congress is in Sessions they better have their hiney's back in Washington if they know whats good for them .

Who cares? all that matters is they cant make any decisions until they get to Washington.

You guys really need to stop making excuses for NY its really lame
you wish... its easily said than done my friend
Let me put it in little baby kid terms because it didn't click the first time.. Washington is where people in the government fill out forms.. just because they HAVE to go there for formality.

Read carefully:
If I live in a big city and the closest ballot box is in a run down suburb, does that make the suburb the most powerful city?
The answer is no.. it is still a run down suburb.

Argument still won.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Point number 1: If some country sends a nuke this way, all decisions will come through DC. Decisions in DC determine if we live or die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City