Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Canada 173 40.80%
California 217 51.18%
Undecided 15 3.54%
Neither 19 4.48%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,124 times

Advertisements

^^ they've been saying that since at least the 70s. The education aspects are the most troubling.. but mostly, CA will rebound for sure. The real estate just got out of hand. It'll readjust itself. There is nothing inherently problematic with the CA economy.

There are, however, problems with the government and the education system. Abolish prop. 13 and we can start making the state more attractive to middle classes again by improving public education. We won't have single-family houses for everyone (that's just too expensive given land costs here) but we can create a sustainable middle class experience in CA again--and I think we will once CA reigns in costs.

Canada might bound ahead, though, in the meantime. But I doubt it given the country's poor history with venture capital and R&D compared to a place like CA. Once green/clean/whatever tech really takes off globally, CA's economy will take off as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Please explain to me what "cultural relevance" means.
global significance as a location of cultural production.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Canadians need a passport to go to Hawaii, as they do with all U.S. states now. It's a new law.
Well of course they need a passport, surely that goes without saying. I know a huge amount of Americans don't have one, but I'm not sure it's the same in Canada.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, but if you asked me which one has the rosier future, I'm not so sure I'd say California. Canada's gained economic strength in the last 15 years, avoided a housing crisis, has a better healthcare system, and doesn't have the crime or poverty problems endemic to parts of California.
Canada vs. California | CalWatchDog
Despite Its Woes, California's Dream Still Lives - TIME

Quote:
And I wouldn't consider 37 million people in California--doin' something right...The state had some of the best public schools and infrastructure in the country back in the 1960s when California had a population around half of what it currently is-- but what does California have to show for it's growth?
California still has excellent schools-the notion that schools are terrible is a NeoCon ploy to blame teachers for everything and relinquish responsibility from selfish, greedy parents who don't want to be responsible for their kids' education.

Our infrastructure sucks because we passed Prop 13 and ever since then, our budget has suffered.

What does California have to show for its growth? Well, the best university system on the face of the earth. The most important cluster of innovation on the face of the earth. The state that still produces a full 50% of the nation's produce. California is a melting pot like nowhere else in the world and a host of other things.

California may have its problems but so does everywhere else. Its just that when your number 1 people care more about your problems.

Quote:
-Cookie-cutter suburbs paving over some of the most valuable farmland in the country?
There are cookie-cutter suburbs in Canada.

Quote:
-A state government bankrupted by state worker pensions and social services?
State Worker Penisons are an issue in most places these days-I dont know why you single out California? And the state is nowhere near bankrupt-that is rhetoric.

Quote:
-Some of the highest housing prices and cost of living in the country along the coast combined with foreclosure ghost towns in the interior?
What ghost towns?

Quote:
My family goes back 150 years in California, and it's a great state with some of the best scenery and cities in the country, but let's not pretend there isn't trouble in paradise.
But we needn't wallow in our own feces either.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Canada might bound ahead, though, in the meantime. But I doubt it given the country's poor history with venture capital and R&D compared to a place like CA. Once green/clean/whatever tech really takes off globally, CA's economy will take off as well.
Im pretty sure that when the BEA releases the GDP for 2010, California will be either close to or surpass $2 Trillion-our corporations did exceedingly well in 2010 even if job growth remained stagnant.

Furthermore, Canada's GDP had a much BIGGER dip than California's at height of this current recession.

Canada GDP
2008 $1.499 Trillion
2009 $1.336 Trillion
Net Loss -$163 Billion
% Change: -12.2%
World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google public data

California GDP
2008 $1.925 Trillion
2009 $1.884 Trillion
Net Loss -$41 Billion
% Change -2.1%
http://bea.gov/regional/gsp/

Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Actually, Canada's 12% GDP contraction was about twice as bad as any US state
http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional...s/gsp_1110.png

Last edited by JMT; 05-18-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Despite Its Woes, California's Dream Still Lives - TIME

California still has excellent schools-the notion that schools are terrible is a NeoCon ploy to blame teachers for everything and relinquish responsibility from selfish, greedy parents who don't want to be responsible for their kids' education.

Our infrastructure sucks because we passed Prop 13 and ever since then, our budget has suffered.

What does California have to show for its growth? Well, the best university system on the face of the earth. The most important cluster of innovation on the face of the earth. The state that still produces a full 50% of the nation's produce. California is a melting pot like nowhere else in the world and a host of other things.

California may have its problems but so does everywhere else. Its just that when your number 1 people care more about your problems.

There are cookie-cutter suburbs in Canada.

State Worker Penisons are an issue in most places these days-I dont know why you single out California? And the state is nowhere near bankrupt-that is rhetoric.

What ghost towns?

But we needn't wallow in our own feces either.

Bit of a homer? California is 'the best on the face of the planet' and that's what we should focus on. It's problems should be ignored as everywhere has them, but it's one rule for Cali and another for the rest as when we are comparing it to let's say.....Canada, their problems should be brought to the fore?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM

And as far as budget deficits, CANADA IS WORSE THAN CALIFORNIA.

Quote:
Canada's budget deficit hit a record C$55.6 billion last year
Canada government set for defeat on sleaze, waste | Reuters

55 BILLION CANADIAN=56 BILLION US.

That's about twice as big as California's deficit despite having 5 Million less people.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Bit of a homer? California is 'the best on the face of the planet' and that's what we should focus on.
Dont twist what I wrote. That's stupid.

This is what I wrote.
Quote:
And its all true. Get over it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
And as far as budget deficits, CANADA IS WORSE THAN CALIFORNIA.

Canada government set for defeat on sleaze, waste | Reuters

55 BILLION CANADIAN=56 BILLION US.

That's about twice as big as California's deficit despite having 5 Million less people.
It's not just about the population, it's got a way way way larger area, and that has to count for something.

Quote:
Dont twist what I wrote. That's stupid.

This is what I wrote.

And its all true. Get over it.
Ok, you said in two areas it was 'best on the face of the Earth' which is quite a claim. Unless you have quantifiable proof, that's a bit of an empty claim. Also, I didn't twist the fact that you basically told us to forget about California's problems because... you said so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City