Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Canada 173 40.80%
California 217 51.18%
Undecided 15 3.54%
Neither 19 4.48%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
I'm not impressed by any of the pictures, sorry.

I've been to all though Canada (even the rural parts) I've been to California. Canada is more scenic, end of story.

I guess all those thousands of people who gaze in awe at Yosemite, the bay, Lake Tahoe, etc. every year should realize their experiences are "unimpressive" in the eyes of a Mr. Sputnikkk. rofl

Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What's your definition of a population center? Fresno and Long Beach have about the same population as Sacramento does and Fresno is by far the most important city in central CA.

I've never been to Canada so I won't vote. However, I think its pretty safe to say that CA wins these categories:

- Prominence
- Diversity & Integration
- More scenic
- Sight seeing locations
- Weather

And maybe this:

- Parks
You can't compare a state of about 450,000 km2 to a country bigger than the US. Per acre I think California beats Canada pretty easily, as much as Canada is pretty flat, but I think the Canadian Rockies, especially as you get to Yukon and northern B.C. (e.g. St. Elias range area) probably surpass or equal the Sierras in scenic-ness, but it's in the eye of the beholder as well. Either way I think Alaska has them both beat!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You can't compare a state of about 450,000 km2 to a country bigger than the US. Per acre I think California beats Canada pretty easily, as much as Canada is pretty flat, but I think the Canadian Rockies, especially as you get to Yukon and northern B.C. (e.g. St. Elias range area) probably surpass or equal the Sierras in scenic-ness, but it's in the eye of the beholder as well. Either way I think Alaska has them both beat!

Hey I'm not the one who made this thread. Take it up with the OP lol.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
Tie. I like Canadian cities better since they're cleaner and more vibrant because it's cross between Europe and U.S.. The walking culture in Canada is alive and well unlike U.S.. I like California weather more. As for scenery, it's a tie.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 AM

250 posts, read 642,779 times
I think Canada has "more" in terms of scenery, but it is really spread out. A Californian can easily see a lot of variety in one weekend.

So living in California, you would probably get to see more natural beauty than most people in Canada, but Canada's greatest hits are tough to beat.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
^^
To be fair, I think the most scenic place in California is "Big Sur": Google Image Result for http://www.davidanthonydurham.com/blog/uploaded_images/Big-Sur-774901.jpg

Here are some of Canada:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0-canada-3.jpg
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...8-canada-1.jpg
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...9-canada-2.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-18-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 AM

205 posts, read 298,383 times
Like I've said, California DOES NOT compare to Canada when it comes to scenery. Canada just blows California out of the water in that aspect. Natural AND man made.

After touring Canada, CA is remarkably unimpressive. Not to mention San Francisco is a compete dump compared to Vancouver. In addition to Vancouver being far cleaner and more beautiful, it isn't surrounded by ghetto cesspools like Oakland and Richmond. Godforsaken places like that are unheard of in Canada which is a very safe and civilized place.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Like I've said, California DOES NOT compare to Canada when it comes to scenery. Natural AND manmade.

After touring Canada, its hard to be impressed by California. Not to mention San Francisco is a compete dump compared to Vancouver.
I think the greatest in California and Canada compare quite well. Vancouver doesn't have a fraction of the character of San Francisco, though.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Hey I'm not the one who made this thread. Take it up with the OP lol.
Yes they are. In the real world people compare small sized countries like Japan to places like China that are vastly large or so.

California has variations in climate and scenery. It has deserts, valleys, canyons, beaches, mountains, hills, and so much more. And hell economically its larger than Canada and more populated. This is comparable.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Like I've said, California DOES NOT compare to Canada when it comes to scenery. Canada just blows California out of the water in that aspect. Natural AND man made.

After touring Canada, CA is remarkably unimpressive. Not to mention San Francisco is a compete dump compared to Vancouver. In addition to Vancouver being far cleaner and more beautiful, it isn't surrounded by ghetto cesspools like Oakland and Richmond. Godforsaken places like that are unheard of in Canada which is a very safe and civilized place.

Something tells me you've never been to the "ghetto cesspool" of Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City