Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Canada 173 40.80%
California 217 51.18%
Undecided 15 3.54%
Neither 19 4.48%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM

514 posts, read 764,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
And I don't think you've ever been to Canada.

The two areas are both incredibly geographically diverse. However, mainly because it is so much larger, Canada is certainly more geographically the diverse. I think people are saying California is because it has so much climactic diversity in such a small area. Obviously Canada lacks hot deserts or Mediterranean climates, because it does not have the warm weather regions that California has. But for geographic diversity, Canada has it all.
Except for deserts, beaches, Mediterranean climate? You're contradicting yourself.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM

11 posts, read 23,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Greater geographic diversity? Not by a long shot. The Canadian Rockies are superior to the Sierra and I think Vancouver beats any of our cities but even just San Diego County has far more geographic diversity than Canada. I don't think you've ever been to California. You sure don't know anything about us.
You're lying. California on the whole has less diversity than Canada, never mind San Diego County.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingeD View Post
You're lying. California on the whole has less diversity than Canada, never mind San Diego County.
True, BC alone has temperate rain forests, several islands, glacier covered mountain peaks, semi arid areas (Okanagan), sub arctic terrain, and the Rockies. To say SD county has more than that is quite a stretch.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 47,847 times
I think Yosemite alone trumps any national park Canada has to offer. There's a reason why Yosemite is world famous while i don't know a single Canadian national park.

San Francisco trumps Vancouver as well. 16-17 million people visits San Fran every year. How much does Vancouver attracts? San Fran boasts the world famous Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Napa Valley, and Alcatraz. What's famous in Vancouver?

Add another power house, LA, into the mix, then it's a win!

I like Canada a lot though.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 PM

404 posts, read 595,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Canada:

Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
That the California Republic by itself, can take on a huge country the size of Canada, shows how amazing California really is. But still I am going to have to vote for Canada which is an amazing country in its own right.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:33 AM

250 posts, read 642,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halea41 View Post
I think Yosemite alone trumps any national park Canada has to offer. There's a reason why Yosemite is world famous while i don't know a single Canadian national park.
On a global level, Banff is just as famous as Yosemite. I am surprised you don't know about it.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM

250 posts, read 642,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Do people outside of calgary actually like calgary? I always think of it as being hated on by canadians.
A lot of Canadians have a hate on for Calgary. It is different from many Canadian cities. Oil and gas really dominates the town, and it isn't the most loved industry. Calgary is also much more conservative than other major cities, so it is a little out of step politically.

There is a lot to like about Calgary though. The economy is great, and there is there is great opportunity for young people (it also has one of the youngest populations in the country). The city is very clean, and very safe. There are great recreational facilities and city pathways/parks. The transit system is good. And we are close to the mountains.

But, I find it to be a bland city. The downtown is lively during business hours, but a ghost town in evenings and weekends. While there are some interesting neighborhoods, the suburbs are mostly cookie-cutter. Calgary can be an expensive city as well. While people tend to be nice enough, they can be reserved socially. It also seems like the entire city leaves for BC on a long weekend.

I am not in love with the place, but I have a good job here and the skiing is great. Calgary works for now, but I will likely move at some point.....maybe to California.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,093 times
As a native Bostonian who's traveled to Cali (LA, Anaheim and San Diego) and Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Nova Scotia), I have to go against my West Coast compatriots for no other reason than the fact that I hate the Lakers

Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
- More interesting Calif
- Parks Canada
- Dining Calif
- Sight seeing locations Calif
- Weather Calif
- Economy Calif
- Prominence Canada (has a spot on the UN Security Council, the fact that it is a country also is significant)
- Diversity & Integration Calif
- More scenic Calif
- Better cities Calif
- More livable Calif

I think California wins. Everything from deserts to glaciers, inland seas, large extensive estuaries. Its city diversity is a great plus. It might be better compared Canada vs Cascadia. If i had to choose a Canadian city to live in, it would be Vancou, Montreal, or Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City