Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Canada 173 40.80%
California 217 51.18%
Undecided 15 3.54%
Neither 19 4.48%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
A lot of Canadians have a hate on for Calgary. It is different from many Canadian cities. Oil and gas really dominates the town, and it isn't the most loved industry. Calgary is also much more conservative than other major cities, so it is a little out of step politically.

There is a lot to like about Calgary though. The economy is great, and there is there is great opportunity for young people (it also has one of the youngest populations in the country). The city is very clean, and very safe. There are great recreational facilities and city pathways/parks. The transit system is good. And we are close to the mountains.

But, I find it to be a bland city. The downtown is lively during business hours, but a ghost town in evenings and weekends. While there are some interesting neighborhoods, the suburbs are mostly cookie-cutter. Calgary can be an expensive city as well. While people tend to be nice enough, they can be reserved socially. It also seems like the entire city leaves for BC on a long weekend.

I am not in love with the place, but I have a good job here and the skiing is great. Calgary works for now, but I will likely move at some point.....maybe to California.
I love Calgary, the skyline is great! Maybe because its more American feeling that people hate it..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post

Criteria:
- More interesting - Canada
- Parks - Canada
- Dining - Canada
- Sight seeing locations - Canada
- Weather - Canada (I like snow)
- Economy - Canada by far
- Prominence - Canada has more name recognition internationally
- Diversity & Integration - Canada
- More scenic - Canada
- Better cities - Canada
- More livable - Canada by far

[b]Which one appeals more to you?
Absolutely Canada.

Quote:
And why?
It's bigger and more diverse. Canada has palm-tree lined coasts (really! Victoria, BC), arctic tundra, ice cap, Great Plains, boreal forests and Rocky Mountains. Canada has small, prairie towns and bustling metropolises. It has Francophone areas (Quebec), English-speaking strongholds, Inuktitut-speaking regions (Nunavut, Northern Quebec) and areas that speak a language none of us can understand (Newfoundland). Canada's political system outclasses anything in the USA (in my opinion). Plus, Canada has hockey, smarties and real maple syrup.

Quote:
Which one would you live in more so and where in the country (or state) would you live in?
Canada. I'd live in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, probably in Brandon, MB, Saskatoon, SK or Moose Jaw, SK.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
california is the bestest

the rest of north america sucks

Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Absolutely Canada.

It's bigger and more diverse. Canada has palm-tree lined coasts (really! Victoria BC .
Referring to the area of Victoria BC as "palm-tree lined coast" is pushing it a bit there, my friend!

You can see the odd palm tree there, that they have managed to have survive, but these are generally imported plants of a particularly hardy variety that have usually been coddled big time.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Referring to the area of Victoria BC as "palm-tree lined coast" is pushing it a bit there, my friend!

You can see the odd palm tree there, that they have managed to have survive, but these are generally imported plants of a particularly hardy variety that have usually been coddled big time.
All palm trees you see in Cali were once imported as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,713 times
I'm not big on the cold, but I don't like the thought of California at all, so Canada would win for me, though I'd rather live in neither.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,508 times
LOL at the sceneries. Great pics of Canada and California. California has much more diversity in the "scenery" section of this argument.

Food is way better in California.

For California... Technology, movies, agriculture, beaches, natural scenery, weather,land marks, and so on

Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
I prefer Canada. I enjoy the range of cultures to be found there. Toronto is better than California's cities. And there are really no cities in California like Montreal and Quebec either.

Plus, the Canadian rockies in the west offer spectacular scenery for hundreds of miles. I've always wanted to visit there. In fact, I think I'll do that sometime soon.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-24-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
Cali has no colonial cities, Canada has quite a few in both Quebec and the Maritimes.

Canada has much more history than California.

California 1850 population: 92,597
Canada 1850 population: 2,415,000

Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM

672 posts, read 1,788,860 times
All in all, they're very evenly matched (on city-data at least). Despite the fact that Canada is larger than the entire United States.

This speaks volumes!

This is how I view this battle.

I believe Cali has an answer for everything that Canada can come up with. However, Canada has no answer for some of the things Cali has in abundance. (deserts, beaches, waves, agriculture, technology, wealth, Hollywood, weather, land marks, and so on.)

Edge Cali!!!

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 03-24-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City