Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times

Advertisements

You should read it it's very interesting

http://www.newgeography.com/content/...opolitan-areas

Last edited by Wonderful Jellal; 02-02-2011 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
How surprising that the West has a higher "Cost of Living" than the Northeast, but the West covers the land area between one third to half of the country it seems. So that "average" is just so bizarre. Anyone have information on that part for me?

I'm trying to understand this better.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
How surprising that the West has a higher "Cost of Living" than the Northeast, but the West covers the land area between one third to half of the country it seems. So that "average" is just so bizarre. Anyone have information on that part for me?

I'm trying to understand this better.
In California cities are really expensive, not affordable, it's not so surprising !
Look at the article, the most expensive metros are mostly from CA, Hawaii is expensive too ! New York is very expensive, but smaller cities in Northeast are pretty affordable.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 AM

Wait where is the link to the article? This seems like an interesting late night read.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Wait where is the link to the article? This seems like an interesting late night read.
OMG I forgot the link o_o

I added it

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 AM

This was interesting. It gives a perspective of most expensive to least expensive places in the United States.

But why is San Jose, CA higher than New York, NY? That one was a bit of a shocker really. I am going to guess that maybe because its about Metropolitan Area (MSA) rather than the city's themselves. Maybe that's why? Wow, Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex & Atlanta Metropolitan Area are actually less expensive than Houston Metropolitan Area also, and all are more expensive than I originally thought.

The Chart:

I love the part where the adjust the "Cost of Living" with the "Per Capita Income" for every Metropolitan Area, it shows where people save more money more so than less and it seems by that information that Phoenix leaves much to be desired (Table 2) and could make some more drastic improvements, because its not looking good for them.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:
This was interesting. It gives a perspective of most expensive to least expensive places in the United States.

But why is San Jose, CA higher than New York, NY? That one was a bit of a shocker really. I am going to guess that maybe because its about Metropolitan Area (MSA) rather than the city's themselves. Maybe that's why? Wow, Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex & Atlanta Metropolitan Area are actually less expensive than Houston Metropolitan Area also, and all are more expensive than I originally thought.

The Chart:

I love the part where the adjust the "Cost of Living" with the "Per Capita Income" for every Metropolitan Area, it shows where people save more money more so than less and it seems by that information that Phoenix leaves much to be desired (Table 2) and could make some more drastic improvements, because its not looking good for them.
Danny, you are crazy with that sh1t. I like how Baltimore is rather affordable. Wake up people!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 AM

NY, NJ, CT, MA people need to realize they can move on down to Baltimore or Philly and not give up the good life like they will if they move to NC, FL, GA or whatever.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Danny, you are crazy with that sh1t. I like how Baltimore is rather affordable. Wake up people!
Haha crazy, how so?

Baltimore is extremely impressive, the area has become pretty desirable, if only there was a mass scale resurgence of developments though. That's the only left for Baltimore to strive for, otherwise its looking pretty good for Baltimore these days.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Haha crazy, how so?

Baltimore is extremely impressive, the area has become pretty desirable, if only there was a mass scale resurgence of developments though. That's the only left for Baltimore to strive for, otherwise its looking pretty good for Baltimore these days.
Yeah, but if "The City" cleans up to much it will be like Hoboken. I remember Hudson County when I was a kid. Nobody, but nobody wanted to live there. Now it's $2500+ per month rents. Regular folk gotta have somewhere to go.
Whitey has to know somebody's working that hotel/restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City