Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 PM

1,013 posts, read 896,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Don’t get me wrong, it was great seeing the sights, and visiting the neighborhoods like DuPont Circle, Capitol Hill, and Georgetown. I just wasn’t “wowed” like I was visiting some other cities in the US. But like i said, I just visited for a few weekends while on a temporary job assignment in Maryland, and I did feel like I needed some more time to really get a feel for the city, whereas in Atlanta, I felt as if I’d seen enough after three days.
I hear you, there’s few places that WOW me too, NYC even though I live and work here there’s nothing like it; DC because of everything that they crammed in a small planned space, the Government, defense, agencies, museums, capital, embassies, archives, Supreme Court, White House, mall, LOC,
power etc etc...makes other places not NYC seem wanting.

I don’t know everything...what places WOW you if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,110,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I hear you, there’s few places that WOW me too, NYC even though I live and work here there’s nothing like it; DC because of everything that they crammed in a small planned space, the Government, defense, agencies, museums, capital, embassies, archives, Supreme Court, White House, mall, LOC,
power etc etc...makes other places not NYC seem wanting.

I don’t know everything...what places WOW you if you don’t mind me asking?
I am definitely wowed by places like NYC and Chicago, in part because of the tall buildings and just the general vibes there. And places like SF with the natural beauty in addition to the urbanity.

Also been impressed by some smaller cities like Charleston and Santa Fe because of the charm/quaintness.

I’ve even been wowed by cities like Cincinnati and Cleveland, only because my expectations of those cities were so low that I was actually pleasantly surprised with what they have to offer. You could lump Baltimore in with those as well.

Like I said - Jury is still out with DC. I have a feeling it is a city that will grow on me. I felt the same way about Madrid. Didn’t like it the first few times I visited, now it’s one of my favorite cities.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 AM

13,945 posts, read 8,793,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Good observations but I don’t know how anyone can come away from DC being disappointed, there’s so much there.
I maintain that there are two Washingtons.

There is Washington the City. This can be a colorful and interesting place, but you have to want to see it to find it, for like Wakanda, it's hiding in plain sight.

It hides under the cover of, and is often drowned out by, Washington the National Capital, or "Official Washington" writ large. This is the Washington of the political, lobbyist and pundit class, and it includes most of those in my line of work down there.

That Washington is an absolutely insufferable place because it's so full of itself, or maybe better put, full of people who are full of themselves. I had an early exposure to one such Washingtonian while I was still living in Kansas City as a lad. He was a well-known Washingtonian too, but it wasn't like his face would be as familiar as his name.

(Ben Bradlee of The Washington Post, fwiw. He stormed off in a huff after a rather friendly conversation at the 1976 Republican National Convention when I asked his name.)

Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,306,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

SC: Charleston may be more historic, but numerous states have cities better for tourism that are not the largest cities. AZ has Sedona, NM has Santa Fe, NC has Asheville, etc. Sacramento would be the hub of SC if it were placed there, and people would travel to Charleston on weekends or for vacations. And with its size and economy, I'd rather live there and just visit Charleston.
Why would Sacramento be the hub of SC if it was placed in SC. What is a hub?

If people didn't live in Sacremento, it doesn't seem like it would have any impact on their lives.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

South Carolina has Charleston, which so many people on city data consider to be on par with New Orleans in terms of its cultural, recreational, and scenic offerings. AND Charleston is only two hours from Hilton Head and Conagree National Park. If New Orleans beats Sac, so does Charleston.

I have lived in SC most of my life and I'd be surprised if very many people in Charleston have ever been to Conagree National Park. I have never heard that touted as a pro for Charleston. There also wouldn't be much reason to go to Hilton Head if you live in Charleston because Charleston has beaches.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:26 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,737,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I maintain that there are two Washingtons.

There is Washington the City. This can be a colorful and interesting place, but you have to want to see it to find it, for like Wakanda, it's hiding in plain sight.

It hides under the cover of, and is often drowned out by, Washington the National Capital, or "Official Washington" writ large. This is the Washington of the political, lobbyist and pundit class, and it includes most of those in my line of work down there.

That Washington is an absolutely insufferable place because it's so full of itself, or maybe better put, full of people who are full of themselves. I had an early exposure to one such Washingtonian while I was still living in Kansas City as a lad. He was a well-known Washingtonian too, but it wasn't like his face would be as familiar as his name.

(Ben Bradlee of The Washington Post, fwiw. He stormed off in a huff after a rather friendly conversation at the 1976 Republican National Convention when I asked his name.)

True a lot of visiotrs, probably most, don't really know the DC of neighborhoods that you get to know while living there. I think most visitors and even short time residents spend most of their time in downtown, Georgetown, H street, or places like Arlington. This is really true of most cities I think, but for some reason in Washington it seems a lot of visitors don't realize there's a much more extensive series of neighborhoods that have little in common with the tourist areas.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Why would Sacramento be the hub of SC if it was placed in SC. What is a hub?

If people didn't live in Sacremento, it doesn't seem like it would have any impact on their lives.
Just saying in a state like SC, Sac would be the most important city in the country, but Charleston would still be the tourist epicenter of the state.

Really, though, just in reference to Mr Jester's hatred for Sacramento, I think everyone who's been to Sac has been at least somewhat surprised. Idk anyone who hated the way Mr Jester does, nor do I know anyone who was even disappointed. Always neutral or surprised in a good way. You never hear about it because it's so overshadowed, but when you get there you realize it's actually a pretty cool city with quite a bit going on. It just can't compare to the rest of the state or Seattle and Portland for west coast destinations.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 PM

724 posts, read 551,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
At my school, engineering students are just as fashionable, sociable, liberal, and outdoorsy as anyone else.
I'll take your word for it, even though anyone who's been to college will probably tell you otherwise about their engineering departments.

Quote:
My classmates drive two hours to Tahoe to go skiing all the time. You'll find them smoking weed, going to bars, and for the 20% who are female, shopping for clothes.
Yeah, and judging from your tone, you sound like you hate all that even though get this, a huge chunk 18-23 year olds anywhere smoke weed, go to bars, and go shopping. That doesn't sound Sacramento specific at all. That's an age thing. Not to mention the fact that the general population is more than 20% female

You need to get out of your bubble more. People everywhere are more alike than you realize.

Quote:
Is it just because I'm a college student so I don't like Sacramento? No. My community college was in Orange County ( and community colleges are even more boring than 4 year schools) but I loved Orange County a lot.
No, you dislike it because from the sounds of it, you just dislike your college experience as a whole. If you read the question of the OP, it was "most surprised or most dissappointing". What were you expecting when you went to UC Davis and from Sacramento before you went there? Were you expecting it to be exactly like Orange County?

Old 04-27-2019, 12:59 PM

I don't see why Sacramento would be the most important city in the state of SC if it was located here.

Or what makes any city important.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 10 days ago)

5,747 posts, read 5,503,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't see why Sacramento would be the most important city in the state of SC if it was located here.

Or what makes any city important.
Nobody has time to go in circles with you, because we know your game. You know exactly what people mean, you've seen hypothetical "if ______ city was in _______ state" on City Data before. Draw your own conclusions but when people say that it's with the assumption ______ city would have the level of amenities and the size it currently has, if it was teleported to another state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City