U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city do you think is the best Superbowl host city?
New Orleans 39 17.49%
Miami 56 25.11%
Atlanta 10 4.48%
Jacksonville 3 1.35%
San Diego 35 15.70%
Dallas 31 13.90%
Houston 19 8.52%
Detroit 14 6.28%
Phoenix/Glendale 12 5.38%
Tampa 4 1.79%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 AM
 
13,318 posts, read 13,000,234 times
Reputation: 3415
Default Which city is the better Superbowl City?

Which one of these cities is the best Superbowl city?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 4,701,014 times
Reputation: 4047
Miami.

February is a pretty cold month, it can snow at any given point, shut businesses down, make it hard to walk around, and just diminish the atmosphere. A lot of celebrity parties have been cancelled in Dallas because of the snow, and that is Dallas, one of the cities with a more tolerable winter than place in the Frostbelt.

Miami makes the most sense, large enough, international image and can draw large crowds, and definitely has the weather for it. This is what the Houston Chronicle had to say about the Superbowl this weekend and all the cancellations and stuff: Justice: Dallas not looking so super as Big Game nears | Houston Texans Football | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
Bundle up, football fans. Two of the next three Super Bowls are likely to be super cold, just like this one.
Indianapolis is the host of next year's game, albeit in a domed stadium, and the game will be held outdoors in New Jersey in 2014. Everyone has known that wintry conditions could surround those Super Bowls, but this week in Dallas has pushed the issue to the fore.
Next year the Superbowl will be in Indianapolis and the year after in New York: Bundle up, NFL fans, for 2 of next 3 Super Bowls | AP Texas Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/sports/7414227.html - broken link)

Miami gets my vote, no hesitation, and then Houston, and then San Diego, and then New Orleans and those are the only 4 cities I would even consider, in my opinion weather plays a huge factor in how much a city can capitalize off of hosting an event like this. The order I placed those cities came from tolerable winter weather and from the size of their markets and ability to attract more international exposure for an event such as this. Some of these cities paid lots to host these events, its a shame to them if they cant capitalize extensively on profits and business on the weekend because of bad weather.

Just my opinion though, not everyone will agree but weather plays a large economical role.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,771 posts, read 1,872,235 times
Reputation: 490
Baltimore is the best city for the superbowl.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 AM
 
13,318 posts, read 13,000,234 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Miami.

February is a pretty cold month, it can snow at any given point, shut businesses down, make it hard to walk around, and just diminish the atmosphere. A lot of celebrity parties have been cancelled in Dallas because of the snow, and that is Dallas, one of the cities with a more tolerable winter than place in the Frostbelt.

Miami makes the most sense, large enough, international image and can draw large crowds, and definitely has the weather for it. This is what the Houston Chronicle had to say about the Superbowl this weekend and all the cancellations and stuff: Justice: Dallas not looking so super as Big Game nears | Houston Texans Football | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Here is an excerpt:

Next year the Superbowl will be in Indianapolis and the year after in New York: Bundle up, NFL fans, for 2 of next 3 Super Bowls | AP Texas Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/sports/7414227.html - broken link)

Miami gets my vote, no hesitation, and then Houston, and then San Diego, and then New Orleans and those are the only 4 cities I would even consider, in my opinion weather plays a huge factor in how much a city can capitalize off of hosting an event like this. The order I placed those cities came from tolerable winter weather and from the size of their markets and ability to attract more international exposure for an event such as this. Some of these cities paid lots to host these events, its a shame to them if they cant capitalize extensively on profits and business on the weekend because of bad weather.

Just my opinion though, not everyone will agree but weather plays a large economical role.
I agree. Who would want the elements to decide the game, and decide millions of people's bets? At least Dallas is indoor though, and so was Detroit when it hosted it. But I don't know how NY's gonna do it. Giants Stadium isn't even and indoor one, and if the winter weather this season has foreshadowed how it's gonna be in NYC by the time they host it, than that'll be one miserable game. Anyways, I thought it should've been in Houston this year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 4,701,014 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree. Who would want the elements to decide the game, and decide millions of people's bets? At least Dallas is indoor though, and so was Detroit when it hosted it. But I don't know how NY's gonna do it. Giants Stadium isn't even and indoor one, and if the winter weather this season has foreshadowed how it's gonna be in NYC by the time they host it, than that'll be one miserable game. Anyways, I thought it should've been in Houston this year.
I agree with most of this.

The thing with Houston is, it hosted it in 2004 and that was when it had a brand new stadium, a new mass transit system, and a brand new NFL team, it was a prime time for Houston to host the Superbowl, and it hosted one way back a long time ago like 20 or 30 years ago or something. This is the first time Dallas or Fort Worth are hosting the Superbowl and they just got a brand new stadium, so they can definitely show that off while its still in its "brand new" stage. Houston's been bidding for a lot of stuff lately, so it has its hands full, it probably doesn't want to host the Superbowl for a few years with so much else already going on, it was busy bidding for the Olympics, and came in right after Chicago but both were eliminated when the United States lost out to other countries, it was also one of the Top 3 best contenders to host the FIFA World Cup (Although like 8 cities would get to host games if we got it), but the United States was eliminated so none of the cities will get to host games. Houston's also putting its bid in this year for the Expo in 2020. So Houston has its hands full with things going on. It's best for Dallas to have it this time, they needed it more so, actually this is more for Fort Worth, they need a good weekend like this for some prime marketing opportunities to get their names out.

I do agree, weather plays a very big role but its not the fact that the stadium has retractable roofing or not, its kind of the fact that during a Superbowl weekend, people from all parts of the country fly in, especially celebrities. People want to show off their cities, and February is just a cold month, chances of it snowing are high, meaning walking around in the snow or going to the bars and clubs or enjoying the walkable neighborhoods is difficult. A lot of businesses close down like the ones that did this week and today in Dallas because of the weather, and parties got cancelled due to the weather. Driving around became a pain with iced out roads and stuff.

I definitely (in my opinion) think the best potential host cities are cities that have a large population center, cities that have tolerable weather for sure in February, and cities that have plenty of dining and entertainment attractions, as well as good lodging accommodations.

But yeah, just all my opinion once again. Miami, San Diego, Houston, & New Orleans for sure, maybe Phoenix too but I don't know how much entertainment they can offer and stuff.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 AM
 
13,318 posts, read 13,000,234 times
Reputation: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I agree with most of this.

The thing with Houston is, it hosted it in 2004 and that was when it had a brand new stadium, a new mass transit system, and a brand new NFL team, it was a prime time for Houston to host the Superbowl, and it hosted one way back a long time ago like 20 or 30 years ago or something. This is the first time Dallas or Fort Worth are hosting the Superbowl and they just got a brand new stadium, so they can definitely show that off while its still in its "brand new" stage. Houston's been bidding for a lot of stuff lately, so it has its hands full, it probably doesn't want to host the Superbowl for a few years with so much else already going on, it was busy bidding for the Olympics, and came in right after Chicago but both were eliminated when the United States lost out to other countries, it was also one of the Top 3 best contenders to host the FIFA World Cup (Although like 8 cities would get to host games if we got it), but the United States was eliminated so none of the cities will get to host games. Houston's also putting its bid in this year for the Expo in 2020. So Houston has its hands full with things going on. It's best for Dallas to have it this time, they needed it more so, actually this is more for Fort Worth, they need a good weekend like this for some prime marketing opportunities to get their names out.

I do agree, weather plays a very big role but its not the fact that the stadium has retractable roofing or not, its kind of the fact that during a Superbowl weekend, people from all parts of the country fly in, especially celebrities. People want to show off their cities, and February is just a cold month, chances of it snowing are high, meaning walking around in the snow or going to the bars and clubs or enjoying the walkable neighborhoods is difficult. A lot of businesses close down like the ones that did this week and today in Dallas because of the weather, and parties got cancelled due to the weather. Driving around became a pain with iced out roads and stuff.

I definitely (in my opinion) think the best potential host cities are cities that have a large population center, cities that have tolerable weather for sure in February, and cities that have plenty of dining and entertainment attractions, as well as good lodging accommodations.

But yeah, just all my opinion once again. Miami, San Diego, Houston, & New Orleans for sure, maybe Phoenix too but I don't know how much entertainment they can offer and stuff.
I agree. Great post. You have to have a good combination of all that criteria in your city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,942 posts, read 2,256,432 times
Reputation: 1103
What happened in Dallas is almost unheard of, same thing happened to Atlanta in 2000.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 AM
 
Location: The City
19,044 posts, read 15,799,376 times
Reputation: 5568
For me NOLA
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
 
2,459 posts, read 2,863,095 times
Reputation: 739
TBay followed by NOLA
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: The City
19,044 posts, read 15,799,376 times
Reputation: 5568
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
TBay followed by NOLA

TB, Miami, SD also seem like they would be very good, but to me NOLA is ready made for the SB

Places like Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston also would probably be pretty good (sans rediculous weather like this week)

Jax when I attended seemed ill equiped to handle this event
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top