Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Graffiti
San Francisco 16 12.31%
NYC 53 40.77%
Philadelphia 25 19.23%
Toronto 6 4.62%
Other 30 23.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,911,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Let's tag up Central Paris and Manhattan and Beverly Hills! Those areas are too ugly and could learn a thing or too from GORGEOUS ghettos of Philly and Chicago when it comes to beauty and character!

Every place should strive to be like these graffiti filled ghettos.. Because they're all character filled and all..
i've seen graffiti in manhattan. as a matter of fact some of the best graffiti i've seen was in manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,444,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
This (see below) looks pretty bad and gosh damn ugly to me, and straight up looks like vandalism and obstruction of public & private property.

http://www.dailyyonder.com/files/ima...nggraffiti.jpg

http://www.photospin.com/content/pho...ll/0300049.jpg

Yuck.
Danny, I agree.

However I don't consider this Graffiti, more like "tagging". The two are sort of congruent but I DON'T see it that way. These pictures are classic examples for giving graffiti a bad reputation.

But thank you for posting these pictures! I want people to know that I don't consider this type (Tagging) to be art at all.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM

205 posts, read 297,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Let me guess, You're one of those old uptight people, who feels everyone should be alike and conform to the norm, right?

It's your personal preference not to like it, okay. But don't bash something you don't understand. If you don't like this type of art, please stop commenting on this thread. Graffiti, like I said previously, is like Avant-Garde (Look it up if you don't know what it means) Many will never understand OR take the time to learn about something that's different.

That's like someone calling you ignorant, for not understanding your logic. How can you say something (Art especially) is "Ghetto" - What makes it Ghetto? Ghetto is an area (specifically in a city), where it's basically considered to be a slum. Graffiti on the other hand is pretty much everywhere. Please research before commenting on a subject, without any prior knowledge.

There's a HUGE difference between Murals and Tagging (Hood spray paint I call it), However they're both in the "Graffiti" family/group. Which sucks because taggers give the others (Artist) a bad reputation. It's a bit insulting to me because I appreciate all forms of art; and I think people believe art isn't important any longer. It isn't "Ghetto", it's not done by poor people/misfits and it's not pointless.

Lastly REAL Graffiti artist already know the "rules", besides that's common curiosity right off the bat.
Um excuse me but the last time I checked, the vast majority of graffiti you see is TAGGING. NOT murals.

Murals are ugly too and make places look poor. There is a reason why murals (and all types of graffiti) are usually done in poor ugly neighborhoods, not in nice ones. People who live in nicer neighborhoods have better taste and standards and don't want to look at oppressive "art" sprayed all on buildings.

Murals should be done on canvas and shown at art exhibitions, not on private property. Or spraypaint your living room if you find it so beautiful.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,995,339 times
I just think the gang ones are more destructive than good, normally it gets some people scared of even going in the area, but I do think murals and sculptures are cool on depleted buildings, at times they can add color and a sensational vibe.

For example, some of these are in San Francisco, in some hippie neighborhood:

http://leequinones.com/img/galleries...oldenchild.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2TCR4Rf9OU...oels+mural.jpg

I go to school in Austin, see stuff like the above pictures (the ones above in this post) nearly everyday, it looks artistic and whatnot and its done on depleted and tacky buildings thus being an improvement to the tackiness of some of those buildings, but gang graffiti is just ugly, in my opinion because they do make it seem very ugly and very unsafe, it alarms people and can be eye sores.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 AM

10,092 posts, read 9,911,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Um excuse me but the last time I checked, the vast majority of graffiti you see is TAGGING. NOT murals.

Murals are ugly too and make places look poor. There is a reason why murals (and all types of graffiti) are usually done in poor ugly neighborhoods, not in nice ones. Generally, people who live in nicer neighborhoods have better taste and standards.

Murals should he done on canvas and shown at art exhibitions, not on private property.
maybe the murals are in bad areas to spruce up the place, or to add a little color and liveliness to an otherwise desolate area...

Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,444,922 times

Link

Link

Link
^^THIS WAS DONE IN SOHO - NYC . . . POOR UGLY NEIGHBORHOOD?^^ Lol No.

Link

Link

The last 3 were done in New York City. . . Art in my eyes.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 AM

205 posts, read 297,793 times
Ugly.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM

711 posts, read 1,141,161 times
Nyc.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 AM

257 posts, read 456,313 times
Some stuff from D.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqWI...eature=related

I love tagging stuff up, and eff the police and snitches.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,810,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Link

Link

Link
^^THIS WAS DONE IN SOHO - NYC . . . POOR UGLY NEIGHBORHOOD?^^ Lol No.

Link

Link

The last 3 were done in New York City. . . Art in my eyes.

Isnt the first picture from Phildelphia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City