U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,332,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipinino View Post
Before I submit my opinion about boring states, some people need to know that Iowa includes Des Moines (which is an Int'l City with an abundance of things to do), Nebraska includes Omaha (the birthplace of Malcolm X), Kansas includes Wichita (WSU, Boeing/Cessna Airplane company,even the birthplace of Pizza Hut etc..) - the city of Lawrence (University of Kansas) - city of Topeka (much like Wichita but is the capital of KS) - half of Kansas City. Those were the most common that majority were in agreeance.

Now I will start off MY most boring which is subjective only by medium and majorly sized cities. Urban sprawl and nightlife are my main focus.

Both Dakotas (North/South), Wyoming, West Virginia, New Hampshire, and Maine (even though it is known to have the greatest coastal scenery). I would have added Montana but I've seen many pictures, have done research, and cannot deny the greatness of the only state in the union that allows a motorway Autobahn.
Because WV is all just mountains and trees right?

WV is boring because you can do this anywhere can't you?
http://www.trailsheaven.com/shared/content/photo_objects/photofile/photopage%20large/west%20virginia%202005%20007.jpg (broken link)

This just makes me yawn... ha ha

There also isn't any class in WV I hear.

Realize I was being a smart***, I didn't really take offense to your comment... Just was really really confused by it. To each his own I guess.

Also I wouldn't base how exciting a state is on an amusement park. Anyway they are building one along I-70 near Wheeling. But as far as amusement parks is concerned. Busch Gardens has NOTHING compared to Cedar Point in Sanduski, OH.

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 07-30-2007 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 AM

18,560 posts, read 26,896,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I don't want to upset anyone but I have been to most of your state, I assume you are from texas. After you mountains end, there is nothing for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Hill country is kinda of...whatever. The water fronts and boardwalks of houston is fun...San Antonio is fun, but the majority of your state is not that fun to look at. You have to drive and drive and drive (repeat).
Did you get off Interstate 10 and get on 190 or 290 and went thru the hill country because if you didn't. You did NOT go through the hill country. Texas is one of those states that has it's scenery not hit you in your face. It does exist in some parts but not the entire state as a whole.

I'll just say this. This is all subjective. What may be boring to somebody may be fun to someone else. Everybody does like mountains. Everybody doesn't like beaches. Everybody doesn't like flat lands. Everybody doesn't like hills. This thread is nothing but a giant circle because you will get people that will respond in a way to defend their state because it's being put down in this thread. Basically, this thread is a joke.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,254,731 times
Default Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Did you get off Interstate 10 and get on 190 or 290 and went thru the hill country because if you didn't. You did NOT go through the hill country. Texas is one of those states that has it's scenery not hit you in your face. It does exist in some parts but not the entire state as a whole.

I'll just say this. This is all subjective. What may be boring to somebody may be fun to someone else. Everybody does like mountains. Everybody doesn't like beaches. Everybody doesn't like flat lands. Everybody doesn't like hills. This thread is nothing but a giant circle because you will get people that will respond in a way to defend their state because it's being put down in this thread. Basically, this thread is a joke.
Of course I have been though hill country. I lived around Lake Travis. I have friends that live in Dripping Springs. I would also say that if you took a poll, the overwelming votes would go to those who would rather live around mountains if they could.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Of course I have been though hill country. I lived around Lake Travis. I have friends that live in Dripping Springs. I would also say that if you took a poll, the overwelming votes would go to those who would rather live around mountains if they could.
lol. That's in the hills but you were around the Austin area. Not exactly what people that live in the Hill Country would call the hill country. But yes, I do believe more would take the mountains. Still doesn't change the fact that there are some beautiful areas in the hill country.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:50 PM

81 posts, read 298,181 times
Quote:
I don't want to upset anyone but I have been to most of your state, I assume you are from texas. After you mountains end, there is nothing for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Hill country is kinda of...whatever. The water fronts and boardwalks of houston is fun...San Antonio is fun, but the majority of your state is not that fun to look at. You have to drive and drive and drive (repeat).

Texas (once again) isnt the most boring, but it is rather boring. I was on the road from Fort Woth to Amarillo and it was the longest five hours in my travels. Even flat can be intesting sometimes (see Kansas), but all I saw was about 10 severely run down Towns, ugly water towers, and grain silos. You can always find a Dairy Queen with a cute girl who wants the to hitch up and get the H out of town in each one of those towns.
Dunno what you're talking about, the Hill Country is gorgeous and a blast. It's also a VERY large area, and some parts are more extreme in the terrain and beauty than others. And while nothing is probably more beautiful than an area with huge mountains, it doesn't lessen the beauty of other areas and terrain. Just because it's not deep in a range like the rockies doesn't make an area not have beauty, and doesn't make it uninteresting.

While I love mountains, I wouldn't want to live there because of the weather. Once winter came I'd get the hell out. 95 degree everyday summers don't bother me a bit...but anything consistently under 40 during the day, no way.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,805,436 times
Some people find beauty in cities others find it in nature.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Some people find beauty in cities others find it in nature.
True. Many that find those beauty in cities would find the mountains boring and vice versa becuase it comes down to whatever you seek and prefer.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:03 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,254,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady12 View Post
Dunno what you're talking about, the Hill Country is gorgeous and a blast. It's also a VERY large area, and some parts are more extreme in the terrain and beauty than others. And while nothing is probably more beautiful than an area with huge mountains, it doesn't lessen the beauty of other areas and terrain. Just because it's not deep in a range like the rockies doesn't make an area not have beauty, and doesn't make it uninteresting.

While I love mountains, I wouldn't want to live there because of the weather. Once winter came I'd get the hell out. 95 degree everyday summers don't bother me a bit...but anything consistently under 40 during the day, no way.
Ok texas because of its little "hill counrty" is the most interesting state/or Area in North America. I must have missed John Denvers rendition of it. He probably made that song right after the song about those boring mountains in Colorado. You guys win. This thread is boring me now. Bye bye

Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 PM

30,057 posts, read 67,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I'll take them over the I-81 Hick Corridor. Heck, I'd take West Virginia over that.
A-HEM! Scranton, PA lies right along the I-81 corridor, and the last time I checked I was far from a hick. My metrosexual fashion taste and perfectly-aligned teeth should debunk that claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I have to say Pennsylvania is just pretty depressing all around . Lots of jerk water towns. Not much beauty.
Every time I cross that line from Maryland into PA, I get a sick feeling.
Oh yes. Pennsylvania is just absolutely HIDEOUS:

All three of these images were snapped just 1.5 miles from Center City Scranton.

Our decaying downtowns.

Our hick shanties.

Our suburbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any questions?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 PM

332 posts, read 356,738 times
Quote:
Ok texas because of its little "hill counrty" is the most interesting state/or Area in North America. I must have missed John Denvers rendition of it. He probably made that song right after the song about those boring mountains in Colorado. You guys win. This thread is boring me now. Bye bye
You obviously have no ideal what your talking about,lol...It's ok to have an opinion but "little?" I mean seriously,I understand you hate the city but to basically bashing some gorgeous scenery and to call it a joke....I just don't understand lol.

Many areas of Texas are flat,but many areas have hills and great scenery as well (not only does hill county have amazing scenery). Texas is a big state...so don't underestimate what Texas has to offer just because you happened to only see flat land, Their's much more to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City