U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,262,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'd have to say Wyoming. They've got great natural scenery and fine mountain ranges, but not a single town or city above 50,000 people. Very isolated and desolate. They have many folks who move in and out of the state constantly and there's not much economy there. No large freeways, skyscrapers, luxury homes, condo projects, big business or large airports. And no vision, either. Unless Casper had some kind of a grand master plan, there's no way I would ever live there. Visiting there?? Now, that's another thing.
Kansas and wyoming would have to fight it out for most boring. Wyoming has the more interesting scenery, but kansas at least has some decent cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM

3,649 posts, read 8,749,073 times
I'll join in this (rather silly) debate.

Based on lack of "man-made" things to do (bars, clubs, restaurant diversity, culture, theme parks, shopping, etc):
5. Mississippi
4. Arkansas
3. Wyoming
2. Alaska
1. North Dakota

Based on relativey similar geography, not as "geographically diverse" as most states:
5. Kansas
4. Nebraska
3. Iowa
2. Rhode Island
1. Delaware (for sheer size!)

Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM

594 posts, read 934,824 times
I've been to 48 of the 50 states (not Alaska or Hawaii). My top 5 most boring states:
  • Kansas
  • Mississippi
  • Oklahoma
  • Nebraska
  • Arkansas

Dishonorable mention - Eastern Colorado.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:55 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,849,780 times
Two posts, back to back, w/ people thinking that Arkansas is boring...

Flickr: The Arkansas Beauty Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/arkansas_beauty/pool/ - broken link)
and
Devils Den State Park - Ozark Mountains - Arkansas State Parks

lol, guess as said before "boring" is in the eyes of the beholder...

Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,694,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'll join in this (rather silly) debate.

Based on lack of "man-made" things to do (bars, clubs, restaurant diversity, culture, theme parks, shopping, etc):
5. Mississippi
4. Arkansas
3. Wyoming
2. Alaska
1. North Dakota

Based on relativey similar geography, not as "geographically diverse" as most states:
5. Kansas
4. Nebraska
3. Iowa
2. Rhode Island
1. Delaware (for sheer size!)
Nebraskas very geographically diverse, did you ever get off I-80 when you came here?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM

140 posts, read 526,134 times
Iowa is very geographically diverse as well.
Get off interstate 80 and head into Northeastern Iowa.
The Western Part of the state along the Missouri River is also very rugged, and in some cases almost considered mountainous.
Google Topo Maps NW Iowa and NE Iowa (Monona and Sioux City in NW Iowa) (Dubuque and Decorah in NE Iowa) and then tell me if it's flat.
It is very subjective and offensive to call a state "boring."
Each state has unique points of interest and beautiful areas.
Some more than others. But to call one state as a whole "boring" is just juvenile, naive, and subjective, most of all.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM

For "Non-Geographically Diverse" I would say.
1. Delaware
2. Florida
3. Rhode Island
4. Louisiana
5. New Jersey

Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Most of the plains states, even Illinois, are surprisingly NOT FLAT, believe it or not, in some areas.

Some states subjected to "It's flat and there's lot's of corn"
1. Illinois. Take a visit to Galena, and then tell me Illinois is flat, venture off into Jo Daviess, Carroll, Ogle, and Stephenson Counties. Also, take a trip to the Shawnee Forest in Southern Illinois and try and tell me again.
2. Iowa. Take a visit to Dubuque, and then tell me Iowa is flat, venture off into Dubuque, Clayton, Fayette, Allamakee, Winneshiek, Jackson, and Clinton Counties and tell me it's flat again. Better yet, visit the western part of the state, and climb Iowa's highest point, at 1,450 feet. The Loess Hills along the Missouri River are very rugged and unique and remind me of no other place I have ever been.
3. Wisconsin. Most people that make this assumption have obviously NEVER been to Wisconsin. Wisconsin is one of the hilliest states I have ever visited. Anywhere away from the SE Corner, and you are in the rugged hills of Wisconsin. Swiss people settled here because it reminded them so much of their homeland of Switzerland.
4. Nebraska. I know everyone thinks Nebraska is flat. Omaha is relatively flat, and Nebraska is one of the least geographically diverse states, but out in the western part of the state, you start getting into plateaus, rolling rugged hills, and even some short mountains. The western part of the state is actually rather rugged.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,694,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgleCo View Post
4. Nebraska. I know everyone thinks Nebraska is flat. Omaha is relatively flat, and Nebraska is one of the least geographically diverse states, but out in the western part of the state, you start getting into plateaus, rolling rugged hills, and even some short mountains. The western part of the state is actually rather rugged.
Well, Omaha isn't that flat, we have plenty of hills and my neighborhood is very hilly but otherwise, your right.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks, Go Ne, I have only been to downtown Omaha and have been to areas like McCook and remote areas in the western part of the state.
Along the Missouri River in general, about 20-30 miles on either side you have the Loess Hills.. which are very scenic and unique. Kind of like miniature mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City