U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,235,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
2) 6 months of the year its covered with snow. Fargo (eastern border), Williston (on the western side) and Bismarck (in the middle) are all in the top 10 coldest cities of the USA. However, all three of those are also in the top 10 biggest temperature variation cities. July & August tend to be in the 80's and humid. However, its common to have a week or two of weather that is 95-100 degrees during that time. And its flat. super-flat (you nearly have to fall into montana to get a change of scenery in-state) What does all that flatness do? Water stands anywhere it can. That means massive amounts of mosquitoes from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Also, spring lasts about a month and hits so quickly, 6 months of snow melts all at once and that is why it always floods here. But if you don't live by one of the two big rivers that run through the state, you don't even get to go out and sandbag. You just get bitter cold with no mountains or trees to block the wind, or hot, humid, and mosquitoes. Why even go outside?
Wow.

The weather actually sounds CRAZY, not boring.

When you're trying to explain why you're state is boring, you might want to leave out the stuff that actually makes your state seem interesting. Just a tip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 AM

8,575 posts, read 13,458,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post
I hate to tell you this, but I-90 goes through South Dakota. Its I-94 that goes through North Dakota. I-90 is a much MUCH prettier drive. You go by yellowstone and the black hills via I-90.
My Bad...sorry. However , yes SD. route can be very nice. I usually take it , unless I am going to Canada. You can make some serious miles in a day , cutting across ND to Minot.........Sometimes I will take I-90 out , and return I-94 , just for a change in landscape. In summer , I-90 can have heaver traffic, bikers going to Sturgis , and tourist going to the Badlands, Black Hills , Devils Tower , and , yes , Yellowstone.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,065,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maude Kipz View Post

3) Did I mention its flat? If you want any outdoor fun that includes natural features like hills, streams, or trees, you'd better live elsewhere. And the drive east-to-west is painful. I-94 between the Badlands and Bismarck-Mandan (a 3 hour drive) there is one gas station along the road and NO towns. If you don't fill up at that one station, its likely you won't make it to where you are going. Its just miles and miles of nothing.
This is kind of wrong, out east it is very flat, but there are hills and buttes out west.

If you are looking for outdoor fun ND has tons of it, the Missouri river and all its lakes and on the eastern side lakes country in Minnesota is not too far.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM

252 posts, read 580,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
This is kind of wrong, out east it is very flat, but there are hills and buttes out west.
You must have missed this part.

Quote:
And its flat. super-flat (you nearly have to fall into montana to get a change of scenery in-state)
I didn't leave them out. It just so happens that the badlands are nestled up against the montana border.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 PM

343 posts, read 827,975 times
I don't know the most boring state because it's probably too boring to visit!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,922 times
ND is not boring. U have to come here to believe it. SD on the other hand is extremly isolated and boring!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 PM

108 posts, read 243,833 times
Utah

Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM

252 posts, read 580,755 times
I'm still waiting for others to give reason as to why their chosen states are boring instead of "it is." If people are going to make opinions, I want reasoning, dang it! I actually want to know the worst pitfalls of places because I have the dream of moving some day. I don't want to accidentally move to someplace awful.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 PM

484 posts, read 1,365,209 times
Montana.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 7,565 times
Ohio is pretty boring. You -could- potentially have fun here but this is the fake corporate American Bible Belt. Meaning, their idea of "fun" is a good old fashion Bible study involving a generous passing of the "second love offering". *puke* They market God like He was some product to sell and then they think they're such great Christians. Pfff.

Ohio is also not much of a party state. State troopers and police, by order of the state which is ruled by corporations and attorneys, exploit anybody who drives. If you're sober, they're going to get you for something. If you're drinking or going to a party, they're going to get you. (I have friends who drank 1 beer and got a DUI. $3000-5000 cha-ching) Ohio also puts more people in prison for the "dead beat dad" syndrome. Here, women kidnap the kids in court and then extort money from the dads and from welfare. That makes this state go further into the "not fun zone". ;-) Just to make it even MORE fun, Ohio brags about extradiction of "criminal dads" from other states bringing them back to Ohio to be thrown in jail. Real fun.

Ohio has the most crazies. I have never met more people who were on prescription drugs than here in Ohio. They have fallen hook line and sinker for the ol "medical label" marketting tool. The medical community here is big on exploitation. If they label you as ADD, ADHD, OCD, Bipolar, etc. They can get a regular income from you that pays the bills. So while in Ohio, whatever random person you meet, it's not uncommon to hear them say something about their "condition". Medication really is a buzz killer. I went to the doctor during my divorce and the doctor tried to push prozac on me saying I was depressed. I said "Doc! You idiot! My wife walked out on me, I'm SUPPOSE to be depressed!" I got through all of that mess withouth meds! Oh, and I forgive my stupid ex and I pity her. ;-)

There really are some fun things here in Ohio and some of the best people though. You really HAVE to be an incredible person to deal with all of the Ohio bullcrap. All of the fake corporate American churches (I go to the Catholic church now and I stay far away from corporate christian marketting! God doesn't need corporate marketting) really brings us down. All of the state troopers who pounce on people during every big national celebration day also bring things down. The ghetto housing brings us down.

BUT...plus side....Roller Coasters! We haz them! Cedar Point is a lot of fun and it's not the most expensive place in the world. Cincinatti I keep hearing is a lot of fun. We have a respectable gay community too who brings us a rich wonderful culture. We have many awesome foreigners who come here and who live in the Northern parts of Ohio like Cleveland, Sandusky, Toledo.

I knew somebody who moved to Ohio, hated it and then moved back to South Dakota if that tells you something. ;-) BUT HEY, each state is whatever YOU make of it. So take what I say with a pinch of salt. ;-)

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City