U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 AM

8,575 posts, read 13,453,719 times

Advertisements

[quote=diablo234;13785171]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Without trees you would not be able to live for long.....That's a silly statement, " too many trees"....The problem with many States is the trees, old growth , is gone. [darstar;13783671=quote]

I was talking about driving on I-59 through Mississippi. Same landscape over and over which gets monotnous. Im not advocating any deforestation here.
Thats a good thing. The short leaf pine that grows so well in our southern states provides needed lumber and paper products to other parts of the Country. Southern yellow Pine is the toughest soft wood known, and is a great product for structural building. These pines grow quickly and are replaced with new seedlings by slect cutting procedures. They also clear cut, which is the most ugly to look at...for a few years.

The Interstate is in itself a boring road. I-59 is just an example. I prefer to take the " Blue Roads" whenever I have a chance and am not in a big hurry.
For most urban folks, its hammer down once you leave New Orleans until you arrive in Memphis.... Its just like those New Yorkers who think the ajoining state is Ca. and not NJ..... To many , most states are " fly over".....They are missing so much in the process, the trip. I like to see the world as a journey, its the going not the getting there that counts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM

2,504 posts, read 4,889,441 times
Oklahoma's pretty boring & I was born there so I can say that

Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM

5,329 posts, read 7,372,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Oklahoma's pretty boring & I was born there so I can say that
This is an excellent post ChantdOp!

We want the notion perpetuated that OkieVille is boring as we don't want any more Yanks nor transplants coming into our state.

Great job!

Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,141 times
New Jersey, unless you like decaying warehouses turned crack dens that shelter asbestos and scores of rodents, the smell of sulfur and factory smoke, looking into the hazy smog-filled skyline of America's most overrated city, sitting in traffic everywhere you go so long you start to get cramps, the tearing down of all significant natural features to make way for endless suburbia, cities that offer nothing and regularly top the nation's most dangerous lists, and wondering each day you wake up why people who live here are the nastiest, most superficial backhanded slimebuckets around, only to realize that more than a week in this state would make anyone that way.

Also, Delaware.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM

2,646 posts, read 4,995,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
New Jersey, unless you like decaying warehouses turned crack dens that shelter asbestos and scores of rodents, the smell of sulfur and factory smoke, looking into the hazy smog-filled skyline of America's most overrated city, sitting in traffic everywhere you go so long you start to get cramps, the tearing down of all significant natural features to make way for endless suburbia, cities that offer nothing and regularly top the nation's most dangerous lists, and wondering each day you wake up why people who live here are the nastiest, most superficial backhanded slimebuckets around, only to realize that more than a week in this state would make anyone that way.
Your schtick has run its course.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Ohio is the most boring state.

Farm land is boring. The cities are cool if you're into the rust belt, which I am not.

Ohio's 'mountains':
Wow! Are you serious? Obviously you fail to do any research on the state. You do not look at the SW part of the state and see all the hills in Cincinnati, or even bother to look at the extremely hilly Appalachian Plateau of SE Ohio.

GOOGLE SEARCH HOCKING HILLS... Some of the best waterfalls east of the Mississippi. You do not know ANYTHING about the state of Ohio. What a pathetic post. What state are you from?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:25 PM

921 posts, read 1,337,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Wow! Are you serious? Obviously you fail to do any research on the state. You do not look at the SW part of the state and see all the hills in Cincinnati, or even bother to look at the extremely hilly Appalachian Plateau of SE Ohio.

GOOGLE SEARCH HOCKING HILLS... Some of the best waterfalls east of the Mississippi. You do not know ANYTHING about the state of Ohio. What a pathetic post. What state are you from?
I'm from Ohio. SW Ohio, to be specific. More SW than you in fact.

Ohio's highest point (Campbell Hill, the picture I posted) ranks 43rd of the 50 U.S. states. How about you get out of Ohio more and see what the rest of the U.S. has to offer?

Also, you sound like the typical fussy bitch that I encounter on this site whenever I state my opinion on my home state.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM

6,810 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post

Also, Delaware.
If you can continue to look at where you live so negatively --- your only going to keep seeing the negative. One day, you will realize that there is no Utopia out there. Everywhere has its good side and its bad side. Its what you make of it.

And you will find out New Jersey is actually one of the better places.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,501,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I'm from Ohio. SW Ohio, to be specific. More SW than you in fact.

Ohio's highest point (Campbell Hill, the picture I posted) ranks 43rd of the 50 U.S. states. How about you get out of Ohio more and see what the rest of the U.S. has to offer?

Also, you sound like the typical fussy ***** that I encounter on this site whenever I state my opinion on my home state.
What state do you live in NOW?

No, you just complain because you probaly bi*** about everything in life. Thats exactly how you sound through your posts.

I travel for my job, and I have seen the country, thank you. I know Ohio is not the most boring state, so it sounds like YOU need to get out and see more of what the country has to offer.

Once again, your way of looking at facts, and actually pointing out GOOD USEFUL points amazed me. Yes, Campbell Hill just NW of Columbus is the highest point. But that is in a flat part of the state where the elevation happens to be higher. Like I said, the southern portions of the state are very hilly and mountain-like. What you find in the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,090,811 times
My "mini" vacations take me up to SE and SW Oklahoma quite often. It's FAR from boring if you're a nature lover. These aren't the Rockies, or even the Appalachians, but they are beautiful all the same.

The Kiamichi Mountains, which are part of the Ouachita Mountains. These peaks are usually right under 3,000 ft.

The Wichita Mountains in SW Oklahoma. A totally different environment than the mountains in the Southeastern part of the state. These are dry and more desert like. I do some rock climbing in these mountains quite often.

http://www.oklahomafilm.org/photos/Southwestern%20Oklahoma-Mountains%20and%20Plains/slides/Wichita%20Mountains,%20southwestern%20OK%2017_edit ed-1.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City