Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times

Advertisements

Nevada has got to take this title. An entire state comprised of a single tourism industry. It has no sports (sans fight nights). It has no Nevada pride or Las Vegas pride. It has no distinct culture at all. Its one giant tourist trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Fail. If everyone that found Keilor's prattle to be void of any substance and simply a rip-off of the Grand Ol' Opry was a right-wing neo-con as you clumsily attempt to portray with your off topic political rant, we no doubt would have elected someone else into the white house.

A. Minnesota: not boring.
B. Garrison Keillor: very boring, Prairie Home Companion tanking at the box-office is proof of that. GK does not represent anything about Minnesota.
Your statement about GK got me going...sorry for the politics, however you had to bring in NPR...and that IS a hot button for the Right wing folks... Keilor may not be every one's favorite , but his humor-stereotype of ethnic Mn. folks is very entertaining. If you can't make fun of your self, your back ground , then you must be a dull individual. I grew up in Iowa,rural , and can take a joke like anyone else about my past. Once you get outside MPLS., MN. is quite ethnic. I know a lot of folks from Mn., some of my best friends live there....and yes , they are quite a bit like that portrayed on PHC., and proud of it.
What in the world does the Grand old Opry have to do with Prairie Home Companion anyway ? Apples and oranges. and I used to listen to that also on the radio every Sat. nite....long ago.....You like what you like ,great, that's what the big dial is for..changing stations.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Nevada has got to take this title. An entire state comprised of a single tourism industry. It has no sports (sans fight nights). It has no Nevada pride or Las Vegas pride. It has no distinct culture at all. Its one giant tourist trap.
I have friends who live in Lake Tahoe, and Reno , and would differ with your statement. ...They are not into gambling ether, unless you call mining a gamble , which it is. I must agree with the dislike for the southern part of the State. Its mostly a week-end playground for Southern Califorina types, and once they build the high speed rail...more so.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Louisiana would definately be one of the top most boring states on my list.
This post was obviously a troll attempt.
All Louisianans know how to do is have a good time, and thats really not an exaggeration. Im pretty biased from having lived here all my life, but Ive visited other states for weeks at a time and havent really seen another state IVe enjoyed so much as this one. States like Virginia and Colorado are gorgeous, but the people there I found to be kind of dull. Not to say all of them are dull, but in general theres just a certain vitality that most people from other regions seem to lack that is ever present down here. Theres a good reason this is the least depressed state in the union.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM

12 posts, read 15,841 times
Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and all those southern states

Old 05-01-2010, 04:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyComputer View Post
Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and all those southern states
Have you ever even been to the South?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:36 PM

88 posts, read 335,424 times
I have never visited a boring state and I certainly do not consider my home state of Minnesota boring.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
In fairness, Southern and Western MN sucks to drive through. Northern Minnesota and the Mississippi River area are beautiful.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
North Shore of Minnesota is rad. Same with Northern MN and South Eastern MN.

Agree though that Western MN and SW are quite draining.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady12 View Post
I guess people don't realize what a big state it is. Only part of it is flat. Total flatness freaks me out too. It's about as diverse a state in terms of terrain as you will find.
I'd have to disagree about Texas diversity...half the state is completely flat desert and the other half is somewhat wooded rolling hills with a few beaches thrown in. Nearly all the other states in the US have the same "diversity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City