U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is more Photogenic
Boston 72 59.02%
Philadelphia 50 40.98%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-08-2011, 10:38 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Reputation: 6424

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Even though NYC is between Boston and Philadelphia, I always feel right at home in Philly as if it were right up the street. There is a sibling/brotherly connection between the two cities, I don't think any city in the US could match for Boston quite like Philly can.
I have felt like this since I was kid! There are alot of similarities between the two cities, even though the layout is not exactly the same and Philadelphia is still making its comeback. For instance, I know it is not exact but to me Beacon Hill is roughly equal to Society Hill.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Reputation: 6424
Default Photengic City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I know all cities have their bad areas, so please refrain from that end of the topic.

- But which of these three cities have the best of the best areas for picture taking?
- Which one of them are absolutely breathtaking in the best way possible?
- Which city has the most photogenic spots?

Please discuss and you're free to share pictures.
I am not sure, but Boston may beat Philadelphia on what you could call the small close up shots. The Louisburg Square area of BH, the GW statue (and the bridge) in the Public Garden, the various sculptures along Commonwealth and of course, Make room for Ducklings!

But I voted for Philadelphia because I believe Philly has more of the "big shots". For instance, Boston Common is fantastic for its historical feel but Fairmount Park is far more larger, scenic and natural. I especially like the water works. The Philadelphia skyline is one of the best in the USA and the views along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway with all its museums and the Philadelphia City Hall is top notch.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,810,651 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I like Philadelphia's skyline so much better. A slight edge to Boston for the nooks and crannies, little things like Acorn Street on Beacon Hill in Boston. So to summarize, for the panorama go with Philadelphia. For the close up shot go with Boston. I didn't vote because both cities offer different angles and perspectives of of photography that can not be summed up as one city over the other.





wow that's beautiful
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Reputation: 7739
Some other shots

Philadelphia Skyline - Center City at Night | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjzeldin/3388560793/ - broken link)

Centre City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52123531@N06/4840536032/ - broken link)

Night Shot Logan Circle Fountain | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneidphotographer/128529452/ - broken link)

Magic | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bku/4298509876/ - broken link)

center city at night | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rissera/4091150301/ - broken link)

Sansom Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/21792677/ - broken link)

On Sansom Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameragirl/278696619/ - broken link)

13th and Sansom Streets, Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dandc/3341303922/ - broken link)

Society Hill, Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pablocepero/3358901016/ - broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bku/4298594125/in/photostream/ (broken link)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,749 posts, read 8,312,369 times
Reputation: 5800
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not sure, but Boston may beat Philadelphia on what you could call the small close up shots. The Louisburg Square area of BH, the GW statue (and the bridge) in the Public Garden, the various sculptures along Commonwealth and of course, Make room for Ducklings!

But I voted for Philadelphia because I believe Philly has more of the "big shots". For instance, Boston Common is fantastic for its historical feel but Fairmount Park is far more larger, scenic and natural. I especially like the water works. The Philadelphia skyline is one of the best in the USA and the views along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway with all its museums and the Philadelphia City Hall is top notch.
Cool city size comparison:

Yahoo map comparison
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
 
1,197 posts, read 1,870,517 times
Reputation: 686
Okay, can everyone in Philly tell me what is so beautiful about it (not being sarcastic, I would really like to visit again)? I only visited Philly twice and was very unimpressed. I saw the area by the "Rocky" museum and Rittenhouse and loved it but everywhere else looked dirty. I was very disappointed by Broad St., South St., neighborhoods in North Philly/South Philly and some other major areas that I can't remember the names of. Overall, I think it's a great city but for its size and location, lacking behind the other cities in the area like DC, Baltimore (only the inner harbor area), Boston, and NYC. I like the city's skyline, but was I the only one that got the "dirty" city feel.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Okay, can everyone in Philly tell me what is so beautiful about it (not being sarcastic, I would really like to visit again)? I only visited Philly twice and was very unimpressed. I saw the area by the "Rocky" museum and Rittenhouse and loved it but everywhere else looked dirty. I was very disappointed by Broad St., South St., neighborhoods in North Philly/South Philly and some other major areas that I can't remember the names of. Overall, I think it's a great city but for its size and location, lacking behind the other cities in the area like DC, Baltimore (only the inner harbor area), Boston, and NYC. I like the city's skyline, but was I the only one that got the "dirty" city feel.

Philly is a combination of grit (sometimes dirt) and granduer, many times simulatenous

It has some the best areas and worst. the city is getting better and from a photegnic standpoint has some great images, not all clean so to speak

There are areas like this on top of Rittenhouse or the parkway, plus many areas of old city, society hill, queen village, bella vista, university city etc are quite picturesque - South street intereting but not always clean, but like bourbon street, got to Royal and you see a better image of th French quarter, now Philly has it's plight no doubt.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLq5FLCZW6Q


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrUWqtnPw4g
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,513,072 times
Reputation: 4055
What the hell....where are all the insults? What kind of a thread is this?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Toronto
1,655 posts, read 5,222,669 times
Reputation: 817
Definitely Boston. It's like a London Jr.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly is a combination of grit (sometimes dirt) and granduer, many times simulatenous

It has some the best areas and worst. the city is getting better and from a photegnic standpoint has some great images, not all clean so to speak

There are areas like this on top of Rittenhouse or the parkway, plus many areas of old city, society hill, queen village, bella vista, university city etc are quite picturesque - South street intereting but not always clean, but like bourbon street, got to Royal and you see a better image of th French quarter, now Philly has it's plight no doubt.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLq5FLCZW6Q


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrUWqtnPw4g
Wow - I really need to re-read when multi-tasking, spelling is not a strong suit but this makes me cringe...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top