Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
LoL!!!!!
I hate you, because I envy your awesome name.
Is it possible to be named Clyde and NOT be smooth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
I hate you, because I envy your awesome name.
Haha, I didn't know my name is that cool. Some folks aren't big fans of the name though.

Quote:
Is it possible to be named Clyde and NOT be smooth?
It really depends on the way a person carry themselves.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Dude looks like a fruity version of Mos Def.
*Literally laughing*... wow and he does look like Mos Def

Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times
Quote:
Dude looks like a fruity version of Mos Def.
lol

Old 02-10-2011, 04:34 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,097,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You know some people might say you are being harsh, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but the qualities you just described can be said about a lot (not all or most) of the old money black people out there.

When I went to Morehouse, I encountered them and it was like meeting aliens from Mars in most cases. They were almost scared poopless at the thought of leaving campus and mingling among the common folk. Many got the best dorms on campus (In Forbes Hall where some of the rooms are bigger than my condo), wouldnt be caught dead on a train or bus, and magically got parking spots for their Range Rovers at the single lot on campus. Needless to say, many of us poor kids didn't like those cats very much. But not because of their privilege but because of the attitude you described of that dude that some of them had. Some of them really walked around like they owned the world and like they pooped flowers.

Glad I didn't have to deal with any of them post college.
Good post right here.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You know some people might say you are being harsh, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but the qualities you just described can be said about a lot (not all or most) of the old money black people out there.

When I went to Morehouse, I encountered them and it was like meeting aliens from Mars in most cases. They were almost scared poopless at the thought of leaving campus and mingling among the common folk. Many got the best dorms on campus (In Forbes Hall where some of the rooms are bigger than my condo), wouldnt be caught dead on a train or bus, and magically got parking spots for their Range Rovers at the single lot on campus. Needless to say, many of us poor kids didn't like those cats very much. But not because of their privilege but because of the attitude you described of that dude that some of them had. Some of them really walked around like they owned the world and like they pooped flowers.

Glad I didn't have to deal with any of them post college.
This is a great post, and no offense to the OP, but this sums up why I feel like this thread is overall, a bunch of BS.

I went to Hampton and it is literally THE enclave for upper class black students, some of whom came from "old money" families. Most were from New York, the DC Area, Atlanta, and California. Some legitimately came from extremely wealthy families and were sufficiently sheltered that one wouldn't doubt that they just didn't know any better than to act arrogant and better than others. Most however, were, for lack of a better term, new money posers and spoiled kids whose parents were likely overcompensating for how they grew up. Most had no life experiences, and like the poster above pointed out, were scared *****less by the local population. I'm talking folks rolling around in 635s and S500s and never having worked a day in their lives. Now, I'm from a fairly middle class Texas family and this experience was unlike anything I'd ever seen in my life.

Now, to me, there's nothing wrong with doing your thing. If you got it, flaunt it, I'm not one to try to lecture anyone to how they should spend their money. However, the location and status of Hampton must be examined. It is in the middle of a lower to lower-middle class part of Southeast Virginia where there are huge amounts of people in need. Many of them are obviously black. Even though the school was the city's largest employer, the disconnect between the school and the community was huge. The community largely viewed the school as I do - an enclave of spoiled arrogant kids with no sense of community, while the student body tended to attempt to isolate themselves as much as possible from the community.

This is an issue that was easily seen to me in the microcosm of my undergraduate education, but is rampant across America. Upper-class old money blacks are just as bad as upper-class old money whites in terms of perpetuating and exacerbating social stratification. Given the black community's generally more disadvantaged position as compared to the white community, this trend is more destructive to blacks in general. All of this new-age black elitism needs to stop, as we don't have the advantage of having as big of a middle class to bridge the divide as American society as a whole does. Blacks who do better need to reach out and set a good example to those who are struggling, and help them reach their potential - not isolate themselves and fall into the elitist trap that some upper class whites have done. They need to expose their kids to the communities that they likely came from and groom them to be leaders in the black community.

So like I said before - I feel that this book is BS. I've read excerpts of it, and from what I gleaned, its simply another tool of stratification that our community doesn't need. Do well, and be proud of it. But the elitism that comes out of many of these upper class communities grinds my gears beyond end. No one's gonna remember you for how much money you made. No one gives a damn about old black wealthy families. Donate some time to helping the black community as a whole and you'll get my respect. Wealthy blacks have an outsize responsibility to help other blacks. To whom much is given much is required.

Stop dividing people and start bringing them together. And by the way whoever is compiling the list of 800 families is an outright idiot.

*stepping off of soapbox*

Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM

I would buy the book, but he never made a classic album *Mos Def and Talib Kweli are.... reference*

Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
Haha, I didn't know my name is that cool. Some folks aren't big fans of the name though.

It really depends on the way a person carry themselves.
Typical, smooth Clyde response....

I hate you.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,209 times

Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
This is a great post, and no offense to the OP, but this sums up why I feel like this thread is overall, a bunch of BS.

I went to Hampton and it is literally THE enclave for upper class black students, some of whom came from "old money" families. Most were from New York, the DC Area, Atlanta, and California. Some legitimately came from extremely wealthy families and were sufficiently sheltered that one wouldn't doubt that they just didn't know any better than to act arrogant and better than others. Most however, were, for lack of a better term, new money posers and spoiled kids whose parents were likely overcompensating for how they grew up. Most had no life experiences, and like the poster above pointed out, were scared *****less by the local population. I'm talking folks rolling around in 635s and S500s and never having worked a day in their lives. Now, I'm from a fairly middle class Texas family and this experience was unlike anything I'd ever seen in my life.

Now, to me, there's nothing wrong with doing your thing. If you got it, flaunt it, I'm not one to try to lecture anyone to how they should spend their money. However, the location and status of Hampton must be examined. It is in the middle of a lower to lower-middle class part of Southeast Virginia where there are huge amounts of people in need. Many of them are obviously black. Even though the school was the city's largest employer, the disconnect between the school and the community was huge. The community largely viewed the school as I do - an enclave of spoiled arrogant kids with no sense of community, while the student body tended to attempt to isolate themselves as much as possible from the community.

This is an issue that was easily seen to me in the microcosm of my undergraduate education, but is rampant across America. Upper-class old money blacks are just as bad as upper-class old money whites in terms of perpetuating and exacerbating social stratification. Given the black community's generally more disadvantaged position as compared to the white community, this trend is more destructive to blacks in general. All of this new-age black elitism needs to stop, as we don't have the advantage of having as big of a middle class to bridge the divide as American society as a whole does. Blacks who do better need to reach out and set a good example to those who are struggling, and help them reach their potential - not isolate themselves and fall into the elitist trap that some upper class whites have done. They need to expose their kids to the communities that they likely came from and groom them to be leaders in the black community.

So like I said before - I feel that this book is BS. I've read excerpts of it, and from what I gleaned, its simply another tool of stratification that our community doesn't need. Do well, and be proud of it. But the elitism that comes out of many of these upper class communities grinds my gears beyond end. No one's gonna remember you for how much money you made. No one gives a damn about old black wealthy families. Donate some time to helping the black community as a whole and you'll get my respect. Wealthy blacks have an outsize responsibility to help other blacks. To whom much is given much is required.

Stop dividing people and start bringing them together. And by the way whoever is compiling the list of 800 families is an outright idiot.

*stepping off of soapbox*
So you think this is not worth of discussing .BTW ,In this thread I made no endorsements one way or another.However I think that there is merit to the book just based on the fact that these people exist.Im more interested in the historical merits of the book.For years we talk of the Harlem Renaissance and all the greatness that came out those elite blacks so this just an extension of what people were dong al over America at a time when most people assume we were just being lynched and living as domestics to wealthy whites.Of course that is true so why should we not explore this truth too.
Lets face it.The further in life you go has a lot do with your assocations.Its not all about just wanting to belong but being accepted by others who have similar goals.
Its like how there is the culture of black kids that do well in school making good grades being shunned by their peers as though they are acting white.
The book is worthy of a read just.It can be pretentious at times but if one is able to divorce the authors zeal for the lifestyle of these people and look at it more as an informative piece then I see no problem with it.As a matter of fact it should be a book of social commentary in a classroom.Bring to light these "elite" and discuss what roll this lifestyle has and is playing in the psyche of black people today.

Being in Atlanta with Morehouse and Spelman near where .My dad was a Dean at nearby Clark Atlanta,I know of the types in which you speak of all to well.I also live within walking distance to the AUC.I could have gone to any of the AUC schools for free.I was accepted to Morehouse but went to my HBCU where my family had a history in South Georgia because it was less pretentious.
I see the students parents buy them condos that have just been built within the last 5 years and nice luxury cars and although the schools strongly emphasize charitable work, many of these kids have absolutely no connection to what everyday people are gong through.Its more of doing whats"expected of them than a matter of doing whats right"
Now I admit the "800 families" thing in this day and age is just ridiculous.I would never by this book once its completed,but to be honest I would flip through it on the book shelf.

Last edited by afonega1; 02-11-2011 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City