Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,814,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
It's appalling what's going on with Black wealth in America.

Whereas, since 1983, White median wealth has gone up or remained fairly constant, Black
median wealth has declined by nearly two-thirds. And this is AFTER Blacks had barely nothing to begin with compared to Whites. There was a destruction of Black wealth during the Reagan/Bush years, a recovery during Clinton, followed by another destruction during Bush 2.

Is it institutionalized racism, or something more sinister?

For all the "bling", "black money", Rozay, and "black card" images that the media portrays, the facts tell us that reality is nothing of the sort, and is far more disturbing. Whatever gains were made through the civil rights movement seem to be squandered because something is still not right.

Report: Black Wealth Has Nearly Disappeared | AFL-CIO NOW BLOG
16% unemployment rate for blacks will give you those results....Blame Bush and give Obama a pass. Hell no!!! Black unemployment rate has skyrocketed under President Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM

14,176 posts, read 22,662,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You know some people might say you are being harsh, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but the qualities you just described can be said about a lot (not all or most) of the old money black people out there.

When I went to Morehouse, I encountered them and it was like meeting aliens from Mars in most cases. They were almost scared poopless at the thought of leaving campus and mingling among the common folk. Many got the best dorms on campus (In Forbes Hall where some of the rooms are bigger than my condo), wouldnt be caught dead on a train or bus, and magically got parking spots for their Range Rovers at the single lot on campus. Needless to say, many of us poor kids didn't like those cats very much. But not because of their privilege but because of the attitude you described of that dude that some of them had. Some of them really walked around like they owned the world and like they pooped flowers.

Glad I didn't have to deal with any of them post college.
When I hear this, I think of guys like Bryant Gumbel. Do I have the right idea?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:05 PM

965 posts, read 1,879,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
16% unemployment rate for blacks will give you those results....Blame Bush and give Obama a pass. Hell no!!! Black unemployment rate has skyrocketed under President Obama.
I bet the unemployment rate in general, especially among blacks is actually higher than that.

I don't blame one politician on this, but I have been very disappointed with Obama's economic policies. Honestly, the president is more of a figurehead position anyhow.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
It would have skyrocketed no matter who the president is. What else do you expect in the wake of the greatest recession since the Great Depression, especially for African Americans? Furthermore, while governments have their legitimate roles to play, I get sick of us always looking to the feds for solutions or to assign blame. Too many people act like the president is supposed to knock on their doors and personally offer them a job. GTFOH...

Education remains the biggest creator of opportunity and there's too large of a contingent within our community that doesn't value it the way they should or even openly disparages it. If that doesn't change, you'll continue to have too many of us scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM

31,990 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I have been very disappointed with Obama's economic policies.
What policies do you take issue with?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It would have skyrocketed no matter who the president is. What else do you expect in the wake of the greatest recession since the Great Depression, especially for African Americans? Furthermore, while governments have their legitimate roles to play, I get sick of us always looking to the feds for solutions or to assign blame. Too many people act like the president is supposed to knock on their doors and personally offer them a job. GTFOH...

Education remains the biggest creator of opportunity and there's too large of a contingent within our community that doesn't value it the way they should or even openly disparages it. If that doesn't change, you'll continue to have too many of us scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Real talk right here. I have to spread reps around before I give you more.

Also, regarding black unemployment, think about this...What were the two job fields that helped build and develop the black middle class? Manufacturing and Government/Public Sector...What are the two fields that have been decimated over the past 20-30 years?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Real talk right here. I have to spread reps around before I give you more.

Also, regarding black unemployment, think about this...What were the two job fields that helped build and develop the black middle class? Manufacturing and Government/Public Sector...What are the two fields that have been decimated over the past 20-30 years?
Boom. That's it right there. And to tie it into education, with a lot of those manufacturing and government jobs, you didn't really need a degree or a high skill set to get a good job in those sectors. People could come straight out of high school and work in the automobile factory in Detroit or for the post office in DC. That's simply not the case anymore. We've just got to have more representation in corporate America and the STEM disciplines.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Boom. That's it right there. And to tie it into education, with a lot of those manufacturing and government jobs, you didn't really need a degree or a high skill set to get a good job in those sectors. People could come straight out of high school and work in the automobile factory in Detroit or for the post office in DC. That's simply not the case anymore. We've just got to have more representation in corporate America and the STEM disciplines.
That and creating more small businesses besides haircare. It's a living, and I'm not knocking anyones livelihood, but there realy should be more diversity in black businesses. My mom worked for the post office for 28 years before she retired a few years back, and I remember a time when someone getting a job at the Post Office was like hitting the lottery given their benefits and pay. Those days are long over. Now teachers are getting laid off everywhere, America no longer really builds things on a massive scale like we once did. If there are people who think the days of high paying manufacturing jobs are coming back, I got news for you...

I am happy to see there have been some churches that have been involved in creating and investing in businesses in their neighborhoods rather than just being a social club/fashion show/concert.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
That and creating more small businesses besides haircare. It's a living, and I'm not knocking anyones livelihood, but there realy should be more diversity in black businesses. My mom worked for the post office for 28 years before she retired a few years back, and I remember a time when someone getting a job at the Post Office was like hitting the lottery given their benefits and pay. Those days are long over. Now teachers are getting laid off everywhere, America no longer really builds things on a massive scale like we once did. If there are people who think the days of high paying manufacturing jobs are coming back, I got news for you...

I am happy to see there have been some churches that have been involved in creating and investing in businesses in their neighborhoods rather than just being a social club/fashion show/concert.
Totally agreed.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM

963 posts, read 2,404,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You know some people might say you are being harsh, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but the qualities you just described can be said about a lot (not all or most) of the old money black people out there.

When I went to Morehouse, I encountered them and it was like meeting aliens from Mars in most cases. They were almost scared poopless at the thought of leaving campus and mingling among the common folk. Many got the best dorms on campus (In Forbes Hall where some of the rooms are bigger than my condo), wouldnt be caught dead on a train or bus, and magically got parking spots for their Range Rovers at the single lot on campus. Needless to say, many of us poor kids didn't like those cats very much. But not because of their privilege but because of the attitude you described of that dude that some of them had. Some of them really walked around like they owned the world and like they pooped flowers.

Glad I didn't have to deal with any of them post college.
Funny. I have a friend who is like this in some ways, except he lacks the attitude. He grew up in Connecticut, and definitely has a 'family with money' vibe even though he really doesn't mention it unless the topic is otherwise brought up. He certainly lives well - not tacky low-class bling and conspicuous consumption - but comfortable, un-ostentatious, nice neighborhood, investments, the works. And to his credit, he does a LOT of volunteer stuff, with a lot of folks from less rarefied backgrounds.

He spend a year driving all over the US - the 48 contiguous, kind of like a black Jack Kerouac, minus the wild living, and he certainly should write a book; he's got the stories. Small towns, lonesome desert roads in Utah, the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City