Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better downtown
D.C. 65 61.32%
Baltimore 38 35.85%
Tie 3 2.83%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Georgetown is not DT! Back on topic - DT Baltimore is cool but it's tiny. Baltimore has no answer for DT DC's diversity such as Chinatown, Penn Quarter, M Street (Connecticut Ave to 21st), 14th & K (Lima, Lotus, The Park, K Street Lounge). There is more stuff to do in DT DC on average than Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 AM

418 posts, read 809,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Georgetown is not DT! Back on topic - DT Baltimore is cool but it's tiny. Baltimore has no answer for DT DC's diversity such as Chinatown, Penn Quarter, M Street (Connecticut Ave to 21st), 14th & K (Lima, Lotus, The Park, K Street Lounge). There is more stuff to do in DT DC on average than Baltimore.
I was just in all those areas u just mentioned, and I know about DT dc having more to do aside from a bunch of businesses, there isn't really much else. If museums aren't included... I will say this: DT dc does resemble a short version of Manhattan.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Slim,

DT DC has way more eating options, clubs and activities than DT Bmore. This is no comparison. I like Bmore, but it's not on DC's level. DT DC (from Union Station all the way over to 22nd Street) is huge and it offers a diverse group of areas. Most of you people only look at the Federal side and the monuments.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
I was just in all those areas u just mentioned, and I know about DT dc having more to do aside from a bunch of businesses, there isn't really much else. If museums aren't included... I will say this: DT dc does resemble a short version of Manhattan.
which part of manhattan? I don't think downtown dc resmebles midtown all that much, it certainly doesn't look like the east/west village or SoHo, maybe the financial district is the most similar, but I just don't really see it.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM

He's talking about the canyons upon canyons of midrises.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM

72 posts, read 234,330 times
the only thing that Baltimore's downtown has over DC's DT is more shopping options, but it ends there. Beside's people in the DC area have so many other places that they can shop within the city that it wouldn't even matter. If your a college kid or a middle class shopper then go to Georgetown. If your a a Upper Class or a high end shopper then everybody knows that you have to hit Wisconsin Avenue for all the Sax Fifths, and Nemian Marcus kind of brands. DC doesn't have everything downtown in one location. Everything is kind of spreaded into different location thats not to far away from the DT region.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
which part of manhattan? I don't think downtown dc resmebles midtown all that much, it certainly doesn't look like the east/west village or SoHo, maybe the financial district is the most similar, but I just don't really see it.
I don't see it either imo.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Im sure he or she is referring to how built up and big DT DC is, along with all of the foot traffic. We know that it's not gonna resemble it to the max because DT DC is shorter, so thats why he or she said that it reminds them of a shorter Manhattan.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
I like DC's Downtown more, but as a city overall Baltimore is more of kind of place.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM

418 posts, read 809,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Slim,

DT DC has way more eating options, clubs and activities than DT Bmore. This is no comparison. I like Bmore, but it's not on DC's level. DT DC (from Union Station all the way over to 22nd Street) is huge and it offers a diverse group of areas. Most of you people only look at the Federal side and the monuments.
I drove that whole strip I seen a few restaurants, but Im not sure its more than what Baltimore has. I didnt see any shopping areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City