Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I don't know. People who say there's no nightlife in Houston...are really bored types who don't know how to have fun, don't have any sense of navigation, or appreciation of all the new spots that continually open up here or continually need to be deposited on the Vegas Strip (or some fascimile) all the time.

There are SO many options here I'd like to check out, I just don't always have the time.

The beauty of the H-town metro is that there are dozens of entertainment pockets with ALL sorts of spots. Unlike tradtional urban cities that are stuck with a type of layout and centrality, at least H-town offers different environments in the geography.

What Houston lacks in density, it sure has plenty of spots in the bend and on the edges. There's just something for everyone here.

Even on Wednesday nights when I drive to work...just Richmond Avenue alone has cool cafes and bars that are PACKED!

Once again, the sticks-in-the-mud who say Houston isn't fun...are the type of folks who probably aren't any fun to be around (especially the types who simply dislike Houston) in the first place. If Houston isn't fun, then other big cities aren't fun.
I think he must have heard some northeastern density freak rattling on about density and he must have lost confidence in his city and took it to mean that there is not much entertainment here. But like both of us have pointed out, if you can't find something to do in a metro of 6M people then you bloody well must be dead.

Houston has everything a young adult could want.
-A strong economy,
-a healthy job market,
-lots of night clubs for all varieties of people,
-it has a pretty young population,
-it is on the coast/ has beaches,
-housing costs below the us average and cheapest housing among the top 25 major metros.

I can see why all the lists had it in the top 5. To actually live here and not see that yourself hints at either old age or highly anti social behavior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,634 times
Youngstown, OH. Bustling small but hip city only minutes from Pittsburgh and Cleveland, but also plenty to boast for itself! Housing is still cheap, so get in while you can, these deals won't last long! Folks in the know are calling it the
"new Austin" and "better than Portland or San Fran," and it won't be long before the already lively scene really takes off!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

I can see why all the lists had it in the top 5. To actually live here and not see that yourself hints at either old age or highly anti social behavior
You got that right.

We tried to go to Onion Creek last Saturday...but the parking from Fitzgerald's music club took over all of White Oak St....we had to go down to the Montrose instead.

On the way to the Montrose, we had to decide if maybe we could pick out a spot on Washington Ave as we were going down Studemont.

With so much going on around, we actually had to leave White Oak St. due to lack of nightlife-based parking. Yet, these Houston-Haters say there's not much nightlife here? Ha.

I'm convinced there are those types who simply don't want nightlife or actually find a good time, simply because it's Houston.

Some people simply fall back on old stereotypes, assumptions and plain total misjudgement on H-town.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
D.C., Denver, Austin due to all the criteria plus a good job market.
How dare you bring up Austin and Denver. They are not on the East Coast.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Youngstown, OH. Bustling small but hip city only minutes from Pittsburgh and Cleveland, but also plenty to boast for itself! Housing is still cheap, so get in while you can, these deals won't last long! Folks in the know are calling it the
"new Austin" and "better than Portland or San Fran," and it won't be long before the already lively scene really takes off!
Better than San Fran? Not so sure about that but maybe I'm wrong.

*As far as the whole Houston thing... I'm sure its a great city, but I could never, ever, ever live there because of the weather.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Better than San Fran? Not so sure about that but maybe I'm wrong.

*As far as the whole Houston thing... I'm sure its a great city, but I could never, ever, ever live there because of the weather.
San Fran is nice but it is rather expensive for a young adult making it on their own.

As for Houston, have you been there? The nuts on here exaggerate the weather. Houston has perfect weather from the month september/october to May. That is 8 or 9 Months of average highs in the 70's to low 80's and lows that are not so low. Houston's weather is over-exaggerated. Many people come here and find that it is not as bad as people claim.

Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Here is pittsburgh as a comparison.

seems to me that the difference is that the winters are cooler there and the summers are a little warmer here:
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/15222

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
You got that right.

We tried to go to Onion Creek last Saturday...but the parking from Fitzgerald's music club took over all of White Oak St....we had to go down to the Montrose instead.

On the way to the Montrose, we had to decide if maybe we could pick out a spot on Washington Ave as we were going down Studemont.

With so much going on around, we actually had to leave White Oak St. due to lack of nightlife-based parking. Yet, these Houston-Haters say there's not much nightlife here? Ha.

I'm convinced there are those types who simply don't want nightlife or actually find a good time, simply because it's Houston.

Some people simply fall back on old stereotypes, assumptions and plain total misjudgement on H-town.
well, I don't think he is a Houston hater, just thinks that he lost confidence in his city because of the crazies who always hate on it.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
San Fran is nice but it is rather expensive for a young adult making it on their own.

As for Houston, have you been there? The nuts on here exaggerate the weather. Houston has perfect weather from the month september/october to May. That is 8 or 9 Months of average highs in the 70's to low 80's and lows that are not so low. Houston's weather is over-exaggerated. Many people come here and find that it is not as bad as people claim.

Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Here is pittsburgh as a comparison.

seems to me that the difference is that the winters are cooler there and the summers are a little warmer here:
Average Weather for Pittsburgh, PA - Temperature and Precipitation

well, I don't think he is a Houston hater, just thinks that he lost confidence in his city because of the crazies who always hate on it.
I'm a fan of brisk, 50 degree falls and summers that hover around 80-85 as an average. I'm definitely a 4 seasons kind of guy so while Houston's weather may be great for some, it's not my cup of tea. Different strokes!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I'm a fan of brisk, 50 degree falls and summers that hover around 80-85 as an average. I'm definitely a 4 seasons kind of guy so while Houston's weather may be great for some, it's not my cup of tea. Different strokes!
oh well. There are not many affordable yet lively cities with 4 seasons.

I prefer the 9 months of Spring that we get here.
Like you said different strokes.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Is there another Youngstown, Ohio that I am not aware of?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
Houston Seattle Austin DFW Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City