Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was This a Sunbelt Recession?
Yes 10 15.38%
No 55 84.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 20,747 times

Advertisements

Johnatl,

You really think those employees are HIGH paid?

Philadelphia has an economy that the southerners in Orlando could only dream about. The only thing Orlando has for their economy is Mickey Mouse and nice weather crossing their fingers hoping tourists stumble across a water park.

So, Infamous past say Orlando has an economy based on tourism and then you turn around and brag about the 38 million tourists coming to Orlando. I believe you just proved his point.

The Philly economy is way above that of Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnative83 View Post
Johnatl,

You really think those employees are HIGH paid?

Philadelphia has an economy that the southerners in Orlando could only dream about. The only thing Orlando has for their economy is Mickey Mouse and nice weather crossing their fingers hoping tourists stumble across a water park.

So, Infamous past say Orlando has an economy based on tourism and then you turn around and brag about the 38 million tourists coming to Orlando. I believe you just proved his point.

The Philly economy is way above that of Orlando.
It's really curious how all of your posts so far seem to be in defense of the silly arguments and petty observations of Infamous Past. How odd. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM

I would like to answer the original question.

No, the recession was not exclusive to the sunbelt. However, the south as a whole is not known as a place for prospering economies. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, etc have always had bad economies. The only two power house economies in the south are Houston and Dallas. Both remained as strong as a city can be in these economic times with 8% unemployment.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The cost of living in Birmingham and Atlanta is essentially equal. The only major difference is housing costs which can be chocked up to the fact that Atlanta is just a bigger city overall than Birmingham and has a much, much, much larger middle and upper class. The price of real estate is subject to the same rules even in the South.

But, since Atlanta is much larger city than Birmingham you have access to vastly more activities, retail options, dining options, arts, popular entertainment, and about a billion other things you could never get in Birmingham all the while not needing to make more money to enjoy those activities. Now who exactly do you think is in the better situation?
Thanks for the stats, I would have looked it up myself but I am a busy man, but your post proves my point. The wealth gathered by that of Birmingham is far superior to that of Atlanta, when you take equalized numbers and divide the economy by the population its clear that Birmingham offers a superior income with similar expenses on utilities, taxes, and property tax and values as Atlanta
Quote:
All above 100 what?

Chill the eff out dude. For real.
All above 75 actually, Dallas's per capita income ranks it 72nd highest in the country and it is the last big metro ranked out of these; Boston, Chicago, Houston, Miami, SF, LA, NYC, and Philly. Where as Atlanta ranks 134, so the gap between Dallas and Atlanta is astronomical, a gap of 62 cities between the two and you think thats a good thing?

Atlanta's economy is folding and Atlanta's growth is slowing down a lot, for this thread I will say that Atlanta is to the hurt sunbelt as Detroit was to the hurt rustbelt

Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Thanks for the stats, I would have looked it up myself but I am a busy man, but your post proves my point. The wealth gathered by that of Birmingham is far superior to that of Atlanta, when you take equalized numbers and divide the economy by the population its clear that Birmingham offers a superior income with similar expenses on utilities, taxes, and property tax and values as Atlanta
All above 75 actually, Dallas's per capita income ranks it 72nd highest in the country and it is the last big metro ranked out of these; Boston, Chicago, Houston, Miami, SF, LA, NYC, and Philly. Where as Atlanta ranks 134, so the gap between Dallas and Atlanta is astronomical, a gap of 62 cities between the two and you think thats a good thing?

Atlanta's economy is folding and Atlanta's growth is slowing down a lot, for this thread I will say that Atlanta is to the hurt sunbelt as Detroit was to the hurt rustbelt
So, what city has the worst economy in the southeast in your opinion: Atlanta vs Orlando?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
Quote:
So, what city has the worst economy in the southeast in your opinion: Atlanta vs Orlando?
Orlando is a useless city, johnatl was listing Lockheed Martin like its based in Orlando, that city wont ever attract such companies to make it their HQ, the city is useless. Atlanta for a metro of 6 million is a disappointment, you would imagine a metro of this caliber to have a good economy especially because its on a pedestal because its in the fast booming sunbelt but its economy is in the double digit unemployments and suffering. Atlanta is becoming high priced and the wages are still low, so its becoming poorer which is clear, however Atlanta has a better chance to fixing its economy than Orlando but its big growth days are done

Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
It seems to me that there were three epicenters to this recession: the Southwest, the industrial Midwest, and the Atlantic coastal South. On the other hand, there were two "zones of sanity": the Great Plains and the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Orlando. It's too reliant upon tourism and construction. I'm not saying there's zero substance to Orlando's economy, but the amount of substance there is doesn't support the city at its current size.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post

You have a very odd way of coming to conclusions.

Birmingham's working population makes a total of $46 billion and Atlanta's makes a total of $199 billion? I really hope you have dyslexia because I seriously can not figure out how something one quarter the size of something is better?

Oh wait, you're using just straight blind hate to inform your posts.

I'd respond to the rest, but why bother? I could pretty much say anything and you'd just come back with something contrarian.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
The only place besides Washington that escaped the recession is North Dakota and nobody lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City