Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
Seattle is a nice city to visit but dont know if I could live there with all the rainy gloomy weather that they have.
Tough to enjoy any town if it's always getting drenched in torrential thunderstorms.
Seems many up there get so bummed out about it, they choose to cease living, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 AM

560 posts, read 581,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Tough to enjoy any town if it's always getting drenched in torrential thunderstorms.
Seems many up there get so bummed out about it, they choose to cease living, period.
haha that sure is a nice spin to it but somewhat accurate. I've heard in the past that Seattle had a high suicide rate. I imagine some people would be more vulnerable on that kind of environment for others not so much. Personally I enjoy an occasional rainy day, but onces it becomes never ending for a week or two it really effects my mood and I crave sunshine. Certainly a major factor for some people

Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,689 times
What a choice! I've lived both places and either way, you can't go wrong. It's hard to compare the two as each has its own great personality. SJ is much more compact whereas Sea is sprawling by comparison. I would choose SJ for the weather and tech opportunities, Sea for its broad culture and big city entertainment (which you can get in SF also). Yoiu can live and walk downtown in both cities...living DT in Sea is probably as expensive as SJ.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I know that is not so:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 05:38 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM

381 posts, read 861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topidea View Post
What a choice! I've lived both places and either way, you can't go wrong. It's hard to compare the two as each has its own great personality. SJ is much more compact whereas Sea is sprawling by comparison. I would choose SJ for the weather and tech opportunities, Sea for its broad culture and big city entertainment (which you can get in SF also). Yoiu can live and walk downtown in both cities...living DT in Sea is probably as expensive as SJ.
Seattle more sprawling than San Jose? I find Seattle to be much more compact and it seems to have a lot more dense, walkable neighborhoods than San Jose. Seattle also has a significantly higher population density than San Jose.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
I though Santa Cruz was only 30-40 minutes away?
30 minues is not realistic. Realistically it's more like 45, when there's not a traffic jam. You also have to consider taking the time to find parking in Satna Cruz, etc.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Compared to Seattle, SJ downtown = less of everything you listed. SJ general area = "meh" bars, "meh" music scene, "double meh" public transit, but similar quality grocery stores & restaurants, I'd say ethnic restaurants are slightly better.

The weather in SJ is indeed better though. It's true that Seattle weather won't seem that bad compared to NYC, but why settle for "not that bad" when you can have "almost the best in the US"? Something else to think about.

^^^This is accurate^^^ The weather is a value judgement. There's no question SJs weather is better. I don't think I could handle that chilly/rainy weather for 6-8 months of the year. Also, Seattle is much farther north than Somewhere like NYC or Boston, so their winter days are very short.

But ultimately, weather is a value judgement.

I live in downtown San Jose and, while it's a much improved area compared to 10 or 15 years ago, it is still on the dull side. I'm not a bar peson so I can't comment on those specifically.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Let me put it this way, in Seattle you will be able to afford to frequent the bars, clubs, restaurants and shops. In San Jose you will have a Happy Hour budget and be competing with guys who have stock options in their pocket for dates.

How would you like to entertain?

Good point. Also, the ratio of men to women is pretty high in SJ since tech is a male dominated field. I suspect Seattle is a little more balanced that way.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Seattle actually almost never gets thunderstorms- you'd be lucky here to hear thunder even once a year. It's just a light, misty/drizzly rain that you get in Seattle during the winter months.

The rain is not a big problem here, it keeps the environment gorgeous with all the greenery- and is never usually heavy enough to be a problem. However if someone wants warmer temps or sun more often in winter, San Jose would be far better.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
Keep this in mind about San Jose: it was, is, and always will be, a boring, family-friendly, 8am - 8 pm everyday at work, city. I grew up in San Jose and my folks still live there. There really isn't a whole lot to do for younger people. Sure, SF, Santa Cruz, etc, are close by, but realize that they're an hour's drive depending on where in SJ you are. Traffic is terrible as well.

Seattle has many more entertainment options for the younger crowd. It does have it's share of gloomy weather, though, but if you're moving there from a city that experiences snowstorms, trust me, weather won't be a huge issue. Summer, Fall, late Spring are absolutely unrivaled there. And this comes from a guy who travels for recreation almost every single weekend.

If you're comfortable with the fact that SJ is a sleepy town that's incredible expensive and boring, but unbeatable entertainment options are 1 hour away, and that has greater career opportunities, take SJ. If you're looking for a town that's more affordable, fun, and has entertainment options built-in, with less career advancement opportunities, take Seattle.
Oh, you grew up here so obviously San Jose is trapped in time!

And you're obviously from a lilywhite west valley neighborhood if you consider Santa Cruz an entertainment option over DTSJ, with all those "gangbangers" your mom warned you about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City