Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times

Advertisements

Maybe because I am a product of the 60s, but to tell you the truth I don't think residents of San Jose (or the Silicon Valley), or Seattle, care a fig which you choose. If you don't know your budget or your values at this point please stay wherever you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Downtown San Jose is more convenient and well rounded than Dt. Seattle. Downtown San Jose is better than Seattle, IMO!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 47,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Maybe because I am a product of the 60s, but to tell you the truth I don't think residents of San Jose (or the Silicon Valley), or Seattle, care a fig which you choose. If you don't know your budget or your values at this point please stay wherever you are.
I never said they care which one I choose.

I'm trying to gather information from people willing to help, based on a set of criteria, so I can make a more informed decision about where to move. Of course I plan to visit too, but I thought itd be helpful to get peoples thoughts as well, and it has been.

I do know my budget and my values and the more I learn about what these two places have to offer, the better decision I can make.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 41,286 times
I vote for Seattle. It's exceptionally beautiful, very friendly and less pretentious than the bay area, neighborhood-oriented, smart, and somewhat more affordable (plus, if you stay in the area for some time and want to buy a house you will probably have a better chance of doing that in the Seattle area than SJ). I understand about your weather concerns. I have found the interminable chilliness of San Francisco to be maddening, and I imagine that Seattle, at certain times of the year, is even worse. Yet you get those amazing summers in Seattle. When you visit you'll probably be hit over the head with the beauty and charm of Seattle - it's almost as amazing as San Francisco, in my opinion - and SJ will, unfortunately, seriously pale in comparison. Plus, keep in mind the advice about the male/female ratio! (assuming youre not gay!)

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM

wanderlust 88, I agree with you, but I'm just talking about who has better downtown and few other things. San Jose has a better downtown for reasons as follow: cleaner, not rundown as Seattle's, compact, safer and more cohesive. The weather in San Jose is milder. San Jose is high tech capital of the world. As for male/female ratio, still more guys than women in Seattle but not as bad as San Jo. The women in Seattle are not really friendly like San Diego and Columbus, Ohio.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 PM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust88 View Post
I vote for Seattle. It's exceptionally beautiful, very friendly and less pretentious than the bay area, neighborhood-oriented, smart, and somewhat more affordable (plus, if you stay in the area for some time and want to buy a house you will probably have a better chance of doing that in the Seattle area than SJ). I understand about your weather concerns. I have found the interminable chilliness of San Francisco to be maddening, and I imagine that Seattle, at certain times of the year, is even worse. Yet you get those amazing summers in Seattle. When you visit you'll probably be hit over the head with the beauty and charm of Seattle - it's almost as amazing as San Francisco, in my opinion - and SJ will, unfortunately, seriously pale in comparison. Plus, keep in mind the advice about the male/female ratio! (assuming youre not gay!)

Good luck!
This is a tangent but:

Id say overall Seattle's weather is much worse than San Francisco's. First and foremost, in SF you can go 20-30 minutes in any direction and be in some of the best climates in the world. In Seattle, you will not escape the grey, rain, and cold.

Also, in terms of city proper, while Seattle does have better summers, for much of the year SF is a lot nicer. It's sunny most of the time - unlike Seattle, which is grey most of the time- and is much warmer during the late fall, winter, and spring.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM

42 posts, read 75,714 times
It is true that Seattle doesn't get thunderstorms that often. It is usually light rain or mist. The one thing that bothered me though was the overcast weather. I lived on a hill overlooking Seatac and would drive to work in Kent, Washington. Coming down the hill, I would get these fantastic views of Mt. Ranier. The problem though is that I would get this view only a quarter of the time. It would either be cloudy where I was, cloudy at Mt. Ranier, or both.

I found also that I kept thinking spring has arrived (at least according to San Jose standards) only to have another couple of weeks of winter weather (at least according to San Jose standards). This preceded to happen for two more month until summer actually arrived.

If you eliminate the weather though as a consideration, Seattle is better because it is the big city for the Pacific Northwest so it has a lot more cultural things than San Jose. When I was living there though, I considered Vancouver, BC to be much, much nicer than Seattle in all aspects.

For people that like to do outdoor things, people in the northwest will be more likely to go in all conditions. If you postponed activities because of rain, you might never do that activity. People in San Jose can count on nicer weather for much more of the year.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 AM

Santa Teresa Hills, I disagree that Seattle has more cultural offerings than San Jose. It's the other way around. Don't sell your former city short. San Jose has 1 million people and Seattle only has 600,000. San Jose has all kinds of cultural attractions, diversity and civic functions. The most important thing is that San Jose has a better downtown, not patchwork and edging like Seattle's. Let's say Pike and 3rd, and I think you would know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Santa Teresa Hills, I disagree that Seattle has more cultural offerings than San Jose. It's the other way around. Don't sell your former city short. San Jose has 1 million people and Seattle only has 600,000. San Jose has all kinds of cultural attractions, diversity and civic functions. The most important thing is that San Jose has a better downtown, not patchwork and edging like Seattle's. Let's say Pike and 3rd, and I think you would know what I'm talking about.
Pike and 3rd:

pike and 3rd seattle, wa - Google Maps

Looks pretty urban and bustling to me!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Pike and 3rd:

pike and 3rd seattle, wa - Google Maps

Looks pretty urban and bustling to me!
Bah! It's a Starbucks! Corporate effluent for the caffeine-tweeker masses. Courtesy of our friends in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City