Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Atlanta MSA:

- Dawson County, GA: 22,330
- Haralson County, GA: 28,780
- Heard County, GA: 11,834
- Jasper County, GA: 13,900
- Lamar County, GA: 18,317
- Meriwether County, GA: 21,992
- Pickens County, GA: 29,431
- Pike County, GA: 17,869
- Putnam County, GA: 21,218
OK, Dawson, Haralson, Jasper, Lamar, Pickens and Pike Counties were already bad enough, but how the **** did Heard, Meriwether and Putnam Counties end up in metro Atlanta?! They're all out in the sticks, with zero urbanity whatsoever! Hell, let's add Morgan County while we're at it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
- Louisville: 741,096 (Seriously, there a way to get city population without county?)
I'm not sure but I think Louisville and the county merged a while ago didn't they? That is the real population for the city I think.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I mean is it just possible that all these estimates leading up were way off, especially in the cities that overall were similar to other cities were gaining (meaning mostly gained very large but below the estimates). Also like almost all cities some parts gained and other parts lost.
Oddly the Philly performance looks exceptionally strong in some regards, but was a slow growth stable area in general.

Also all the MSAs expected to grow, absolutely did and pretty big so its not like the areas didnt grow, but most of the growth came oustide the actual cities.
I think Philly has actually had very good growth over the past few years because I honestly believe Philly bottomed out at about 1,470,000 in 2004 but then started to to increase in population to around 1,526,000 when the 2010 census results came in.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I'm not sure but I think Louisville and the county merged a while ago didn't they? That is the real population for the city I think.
The true population would be the balance - many of the smaller incorporated towns in Jefferson County did not participate in the consolidation, so those would need to be subtracted from the county population.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
The true population would be the balance - many of the smaller incorporated towns in Jefferson County did not participate in the consolidation, so those would need to be subtracted from the county population.
That's a weird way to do things.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I think you're underestimating the impact of the housing projects being torn down. From what I've seen, several of them haven't been redeveloped.

Bowen Homes (over on Bankhead Highway) - still a dirt lot
Herndon Homes (Northside Dr) - still a dirt lot
Capitol View and the one just north of it on Decatur St - Only half redeveloped

etc

Of course they will get redeveloped over time.

But yeah, even the rough neighborhoods in Atlanta seem just as full of people as ever.

Oh well, look at the bright side, Georgians: out state gained 25,000 jobs last month, and unemployment initial claims were down 40% from January!
Quite right. Bowen and Herdon homes were the last to be torn down so yeah, they haven't been redeveloped yet. The Captiol View redevelopment was a victim of the recession. However, those areas (and a few others like the Westside village redevelopment) don't account for the huge discrepancy.

Bah, I'll just wait for the remaining Census data and for what the Mayor will say on this.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Nah just like Nashville even though it's "consolidated" the population represented there is significantly 200,000 larger than any estimate or projection for the city, the county & city are at divergent points. I just don't know how to effectively separate them to get the actual city's population though, its really confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'd like to see what the census reports Atlanta's average income at.
When the 2010 GDP's come out for Atlanta, which will show a significant gain from the global bottom out year (2009) Atlanta's per capita income will be looking like a baller.

Whoever that one person is that goes around saying Birmingham is richer off per capita income than Atlanta will surely be eating their words next year with the release on that information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Can you add the Virginia cities and metros into this list? Hasn't VA been out for some time now? I think others have also requested its cities' inclusions.
Yeah consider it done, I'll start adding them next week with the updates. I already calculated Virginia Beach/Norfolk MSA already.

Virginia is the *!tch!est state to calculate to be honest, they have "independent city's" that are literally micro-sized to the point where you'll miss them and the counties are infinitely small.

Atlanta MSA & CSA was the hardest to calculate by far though, haven't ever dealt with so many small counties before! It took forever trying to find them on the map to add them up, haha. They should merge some of them because of how small they are.

At MSA level, San Diego & El Paso were the easiest, they only had 1 county each. Los Angeles & Phoenix were basic at MSA level too, they only had 2 counties. Miami/Fort Lauderdale was simple as well. Easy to calculate in no time.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
OK, Dawson, Haralson, Jasper, Lamar, Pickens and Pike Counties were already bad enough, but how the **** did Heard, Meriwether and Putnam Counties end up in metro Atlanta?! They're all out in the sticks, with zero urbanity whatsoever! Hell, let's add Morgan County while we're at it!
Those counties are a part of the Atlanta metro not because of development, but because people drive in from those boonies to work in the city.

A prime example is the guy I had repair my A/C a few weeks back. He lived in Dawsonville, but almost of his clients are in the city of Atlanta. So he made that 60 mile trek pretty much every day to work and headed off into the sticks at night.

Quite a few people do that. Enough for those counties to be added to metro Atlanta due to commuting reasons.

It's pretty harmless though in terms of ranking Atlanta with other metors. All of them added together barely adds an extra 150,000 people to the metro.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,593 times
Quote:
That's a weird way to do things.
Most of the city-county consolidations around the US have an opt-out option for other incorporated municipalities in the county. Jacksonville/Duval, Nashville/Davidson, Indianapolis/Marion, Butte/Silver Bow, Augusta/Richmond (among others) all have some excluded areas - small towns encircled by the consolidated city.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Nah just like Nashville even though it's "consolidated" the population represented there is significantly 200,000 larger than any estimate or projection for the city, the county & city are at divergent points. I just don't know how to effectively separate them to get the actual city's population though, its really confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Most of the city-county consolidations around the US have an opt-out option for other incorporated municipalities in the county. Jacksonville/Duval, Nashville/Davidson, Indianapolis/Marion, Butte/Silver Bow, Augusta/Richmond (among others) all have some excluded areas - small towns encircled by the consolidated city.
Well I looked it up, and in that case the balance could be somewhere around 540,000 give or take 10 or 20,000. They estimated the county 721,594 in 2009 which isn't that far off at all, and they estimated the balance at 566,503.

Danny if you wanna separate them than I guess you have to fine a list of the municipalities in KY and then subtract all the other ones from the county from the county number. But I'm sure you knew that, does anyone know where you go to find a list of all states municipalities' populations for this census, cause I've been wondering for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City