Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
What's impressive is that New York City hit 2.5 million in 1890, and had about 7.5 million by WWII. I'm not a NYC booster, but there is no denying that this is one of, if not, THE premier city in the world. Now it should be at least 8.4 million? Something like that?

Sorry to get off topic. NYC is for another week...
I will never argue this fact. NYC has everything and every type of everything. It has one of the highest amount of big businesses per capita in the US. The only thing I'd be concerned about is standard of living (dollars @ cost of living, NYC is rated a bit below average there), but that is not a surprise for a premier world-class city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
been busy hun. I see you missed me.

If you are wondering I am happy with the Census results. Houston Metro is right where it should be for April of 2010.

It should be at 6.1M now.

and Stop picking on Fort Worth-Dallas Metro

lol, poor thing. Blame your suburbs. I have been saying forever that your burbs are too attractive and the rail makes it even more so.

that number is hard to swallow. the metro increased by 1,200,000 people and from that only 0.8 percent went to the primary city? That is just crazy. Here I was for the last couple of months ragging on Dallas for attracting only 11% of the growth in the metro and now the census claims that it is actually less than 1% of the growth for the metro??

Yeah, the Dallas metropolitan division for now has the bulk of the economic clout for the metro, so Dallas will be the primary name in the metro for the foreseeable future.
I know, you were right too. DANGGGGGGG ITTTTTTTT! EVERYONE WAS RIGHT!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I know, you were right too. DANGGGGGGG ITTTTTTTT! EVERYONE WAS RIGHT!

lol, calm down, Dallas is still the 9th largest city in the US

Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Isnt possible the census numbers are correct and INTERIM ESTIMATES were the inaccurate ones, all places seem to be low for the most part, not specific to any particular places

Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
The US Census Numbers are probably close to being correct (or as accurate as can be), I cant see how anyone can say Houston gained 182,000 people from 2005 to 2009, that's just 4 years of time. I think the Census information is rather sobering, at first people have their doubts but why in worlds name would the US Census go and show decrease in 80% of the American cities? Yeah that's probably not the case.

I think everyone should settle down with this, all this talk of undercount and over count is rather silly now, the estimates were just that, they were estimates. I didn't believe the estimates for 2009 when I saw them on ACS, it was rather inexplicit how some places gained double for their demographics in a year than compared to their lifetimes.

Also Dallaz, dude you need to relax and take a breather or something man, you're acting like the entire city of Dallas & The Metroplex got molested or something.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
The US Census Numbers are probably close to being correct (or as accurate as can be), I cant see how anyone can say Houston gained 182,000 people from 2005 to 2009, that's just 4 years of time. I think the Census information is rather sobering, at first people have their doubts but why in worlds name would the US Census go and show decrease in 80% of the American cities? Yeah that's probably not the case.

I think everyone should settle down with this, all this talk of undercount and over count is rather silly now, the estimates were just that, they were estimates. I didn't believe the estimates for 2009 when I saw them on ACS, it was rather inexplicit how some places gained double for their demographics in a year than compared to their lifetimes.

Also Dallaz, dude you need to relax and get a breather or something man, you're acting like the entire city of Dallas & The Metroplex got molested or something.
I am jking..............

Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, calm down, Dallas is still the 9th largest city in the US
I am calm, I am just kidding. I hope y'all didn't think I was serious.

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-19-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
My question is did everyone fill out there census form.....

Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post

Sounds like some did more than once, JK

I know I did, I actually felt even more compelled after spending time on this site

Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I hate to answer your question with another question, but sometimes it provides a better way of looking at the situation. My question is: Has there EVER been a time that everybody filled it out? How about: Has there ever been a time that an official count didn't reveal surprises based off of the last years estimates?

The answer to all of these questions is 'no'. It is never perfect and neither are the estimates. The counts are closer to the truth than the estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City