Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top center for business today:
Los Angeles 36 22.36%
DFW 29 18.01%
Houston 41 25.47%
Atlanta 31 19.25%
Philadelphia 24 14.91%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And still many Atlanta votes with zero reason as to why
Hopefully some of the Atlanta posters give a reason why (why I like having it to where you can see who voted). Atlanta is definitely a business center and hosts a ton of conventions. Wish the Atlanta posters could expand on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Atlanta and Houston (IMO) are top business centers. However, I think Houston is rising above the rest as a top destination for businesses.

I'm so confused. All along, I thought Houston had a diverse economy compared to Atlanta (that's how people advertised it). I thought Atlanta was too tied to the housing industry (niche), and that's what caused it to enter it's current state. Right? So, can someone please elaborate on the subject for me because I'm so confused?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Atlanta and Houston (IMO) are top business centers. However, I think Houston is rising above the rest as a top destination for businesses.

I'm so confused. All along, I thought Houston had a diverse economy compared to Atlanta (that's how people advertised it). I thought Atlanta was too tied to the housing industry (niche), and that's what caused it to enter it's current state. Right? So, can someone please elaborate on the subject for me because I'm so confused?
Not sure on the housing thing, would think that basically of these DFW, Houston, and Atlanta would be about equally tied to this industry, they all added about the same amount of people over the last decade.

On Houston it is diversifying but at best would third among this list in terms of diversied economy, not bad or good but houston is more key industry focused than some of the others.

Also for it's size (LA is the outlier among these, the readst of the metros are ~ the same size give or take a million) Atlanta's output is signifcantly smaller when compared to philly, DFW, or Houston.

I think Atlanta has a good econimic position but to me regardless of the criteria Atlanta is probably 5th on this list yet continues to get blind votes as the number one, clearly boosterism. For the record I voted LA as it is stll the largest economy of all these by far

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Sorry. That didn't help much.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What exactly is this list, for privately owned, you left off Vangaurd Financial, more than 12,000 employees and 1.4 Trillion in assets.

The Vanguard Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It looks like Forbes did not include The Vanguard Group because they do not report revenue due to their client owned structure. They are unique because the clients they serve are their owners, so they don't disclose revenue to Forbes (the private company list isn't perfect due to this, but in the ballpark).

Philadelphia and Los Angeles are the only two in this thread that are the headquarters of very large and powerful investment management companies/mutual funds.

The Vanguard Group of Philadelphia controls 1.4 trillion in assets.

American Funds (subsidiary of the Capital Group Companies) of Los Angeles controls 900 billion in assets.

PIMCO of Newport Beach, a suburb of Los Angeles, controls 240 billion in assets.

-These three funds are in the top 5 in the country and are vastly larger than any other fund. Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas do not have large mutual fund companies.
-----------------------
Los Angeles has large private equity companies in addition to Platinum Equity.
- Oaktree Capital Management in Los Angeles controls $76 billion in assets.
- Ares Management controls $37 billion in assets.
- Colony Capital controls $30 billion in assets.
- Yucaipa Companies controls $12.5 billion in assets.
- Leonard Green and Partners controls $9 billion in assets.
- Brentwood Associates controls $2.3 billion in assets.
- Freeman Spogli and Co controls $2 billion in assets.
- Clarity Partners of Beverly Hills controls $1 billion in assets.
- Riordan, Lewis, and Haden controls $450 million in assets.

Dallas-Forth Worth has:
- Highland Capital Management controls $35 billion in assets.
- Lone Star Funds controls $24 billion in assets.
- HM Capital Partners that controls $1 billion in assets.

Houston has First Reserve Corporation with 21.5 billion in assets.

Atlanta has Roark Capital Group that has $1.5 billion in assets.

Philadelphia does not have one.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Atlanta has Roark Capital Group that has $1.5 billion in assets.
What about Invesco?

Invesco Global | Home

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What about Invesco?

Invesco Global | Home
Opps!

I totally forgot they have risen into the top 10 after their mergers with other companies. Invesco is publicly traded

Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
I don't think Houston rises above the rest at all, in some ways yes, but in some ways it trails some of the ohers also, nor do I think that there is a clear cut business center. Houston specializes in somethings more so than other things, and that does make it a lasting business center.

I think you're underrating the impact for Los Angeles & Philadelphia here.

80% of the Nations Pharmaceutical companies are based in the region of Southeast PA & South New Jersey, all of that is within the Philadelphia area. Business clients that work in that industry wont get nearly as much exposure of benefits from any of the other cities on the list as they would in Philadelphia.

Film Industry with Los Angeles. You cant diminish that, it brings in a lot of investments and opportunities for other industries too. You wont get as much media exposure of film related anything in anywhere else on this poll other than Los Angeles.

Same goes for both aeronautics in Houston & energy in Houston. It's just something you cant replicate elsewhere.
Quote:
I'm so confused. All along, I thought Houston had a diverse economy compared to Atlanta (that's how people advertised it).
Besides Finance, name one industry that Houston doesn't have?

It has them all, yes some take up a larger share than others, but 76% of its economy is diverse, that's more so than Washington DC, and just a bit less than New York. And no one advertises Houston as anything, its the Energy Capital and that's the only thing about its economy that is advertised mostly, in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I don't think Houston rises above the rest at all, in some ways yes, but in some ways it trails some of the ohers also, nor do I think that there is a clear cut business center. Houston specializes in somethings more so than other things, and that does make it a lasting business center.

I think you're underrating the impact for Los Angeles & Philadelphia here.

80% of the Nations Pharmaceutical companies are based in the region of Southeast PA & South New Jersey, all of that is within the Philadelphia area. Business clients that work in that industry wont get nearly as much exposure of benefits from any of the other cities on the list as they would in Philadelphia.

Film Industry with Los Angeles. You cant diminish that, it brings in a lot of investments and opportunities for other industries too. You wont get as much media exposure of film related anything in anywhere else on this poll other than Los Angeles.

Same goes for both aeronautics in Houston & energy in Houston. It's just something you cant replicate elsewhere.
Oh, not at all! I said I THINK.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I don't consider Texas to be in the South. Don't care what the devil the US Census, AlGreen, TexasReb, jluke, or anyone else on this website have to say about it.

Atlanta is a great city, done a lot of good things for itself, the country, maybe the world, but the Olympics have nothing to do with here on out, whatever the Olympics did for Atlanta was like 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City