Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
San Jose 26 27.37%
Oakland 36 37.89%
Sacramento 33 34.74%
Tie/All of the above 9 9.47%
Other Option (Please specify) 4 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,168,178 times

Advertisements

San Jose has the best downtown since it has an arena and a new city hall. There's just so much going on in Dt. San Jose. Sacramento has the second best downtown even though the Downtown Plaza is such a failure that Westfield is having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. Don't get me started on K st. Oakland is just an entry to downtown renassaince.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,851,574 times
All three cities have their strong points and low points.

I chose Sacramento out of the three because I believe it has a more attractive central city and also a stronger independent identity than the other two. Sacramento is more laid back but its metro population which is roughly around 2.3 million is reaching critical mass, and thus reinvigorating the development of the core city. Its economy remains weak though, especially in comparison to San Jose.

A close second would be San Jose because of its powerful economy and vibrant downtown. It is a city full of middle class to upper middle class techies. It has a lot of promise. However, I find it a bit bland, and lacking in the historical and cultural depth of the other two cities.

Third would be Oakland, which certainly has its beautiful areas. However, much of it is still mired in extreme poverty and violence. Although it is most proximal to San Francisco, judged on the city alone, it is the least desirable out of the three in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,320,512 times
It'd be cool if all three cities were bunched together as I think they're quite similar and yet complementary.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,367,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
San Jose has the best downtown since it has an arena and a new city hall. There's just so much going on in Dt. San Jose. Sacramento has the second best downtown even though the Downtown Plaza is such a failure that Westfield is having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. Don't get me started on K st. Oakland is just an entry to downtown renassaince.
excuse me goof why do you always brag about how san jose has the best downtown in the whole world?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 PM

nycjowww, simple, because after experiencing NY from time to time since since 1970's, which NY doesn't have a real downtown, I realize San Jose has the most convient, cleanest, safest and well rounded downtown around. In NY, Chelsea, West Village/Grenwich and Soho don't really constitute downtowns since they don't have a government buildings, major arena, museums and other downtown functions. They, however, act as neighborhoods just like LA's districts like Melrose, Silver Lake and Hollywood. San Jose has a real bonafide downtown!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
nycjowww, simple, because after experiencing NY from time to time since since 1970's, which NY doesn't have a real downtown, I realize San Jose has the most convient, cleanest, safest and well rounded downtown around. In NY, Chelsea, West Village/Grenwich and Soho don't really constitute downtowns since they don't have a government buildings, major arena, museums and other downtown functions. They, however, act as neighborhoods just like LA's districts like Melrose, Silver Lake and Hollywood. San Jose has a real bonafide downtown!
excuse me nyc has a downtown. 2 inf act. a downtown in brooklyn and a lower manhattan. Are you saying wall street is a living neighborhood area?

the nets stadium will be built in brooklyn.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,851,574 times
Quote:
If you think that San Jose has a greater downtown than New York, then you are absolutely delusional.

Manhattan has the greatest downtown/financial district in all of the Americas. The only cities that can rival it are London, Tokyo, Shanghai. New York's downtown exists on the global stage. San Jose, Sacramento and Oakland are merely regional towns in comparison to New York.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM

I consider Lower Manhattan just that, not a downtown, but an office park with some cavities due to 9/11, which is filling up slowly. Even Chicago has the Loop to outoffice the Lower Manhattan area. Manhattan only has Midtown which is an equivelent to Wilshire Blvd of New York. New York is alot like a semi-vertical LA. I know New York inside out! I'm not delusional or trolling the thread. I'm being very real, and all this based on what many New Yorkers said, not me. I'm just an observant and the messager. Visit both cities, and you'll see. San Jose can single handly take on New York. "There's nothing for San Joseans in New York, and you're spoiled with a great urban center that's packed with everything you could possible want in a few block areas", quoted by Ed Asner of Mary Tyler Moore Show. I totally agree with him and the rest of New Yorkers who have visited San Jose, not bloggers just blogging off and never been to San Jose. Reality bites!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I consider Lower Manhattan just that, not a downtown, but an office park with some cavities due to 9/11, which is filling up slowly. Even Chicago has the Loop to outoffice the Lower Manhattan area. Manhattan only has Midtown which is an equivelent to Wilshire Blvd of New York. New York is alot like a semi-vertical LA. I know New York inside out! I'm not delusional or trolling the thread. I'm being very real, and all this based on what many New Yorkers said, not me. I'm just an observant and the messager. Visit both cities, and you'll see. San Jose can single handly take on New York. "There's nothing for San Joseans in New York, and you're spoiled with a great urban center that's packed with everything you could possible want in a few block areas", quoted by Ed Asner of Mary Tyler Moore Show. I totally agree with him and the rest of New Yorkers who have visited San Jose, not bloggers just blogging off and never been to San Jose. Reality bites!
no you do not know nyc inside out. i put money you don't.

your saying theirs nothing for san Jose folks in nyc? lmaooo. please stop talking if i want to right now i can go around asking transplants where their from while i work in the city and i bet you i will find a few san jose transplants by the end of the day.

cut it out please lol.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM

nycjowww, since San Jose is a downtown centric city in the middle with a huge suburban area around it, I'm not surprise that they would bad mouth San Jose because they never go downtown. As for NY, I really do know everything about the city since I've even been to S. Bronx and Harlem in the 1970's when it was soo baaaaaad. I was the only white guy, not puerto Ricans, Jamaicans, hispanics or African Americans, to venture out there for exploration. I'm sure it has gotten better by now. I know Brooklyn, Queens, Statan Island and Bronx really well because I have friends there, and I would go there every once in a while. As for Manhattan, give me a break! New York is semi-vertical LA IMO! San Jose has a downtown, newly built airport, and many other big-city amenities that have been upgraded which New York hasn't. The infrastucture in New York is outdated. Just take a look LA Guardia and Kennedy's. How about the main library and the city hall. Come on, man, get real, please. Hey, the city is still dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City