U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
San Jose 22 29.33%
Oakland 30 40.00%
Sacramento 25 33.33%
Tie/All of the above 6 8.00%
Other Option (Please specify) 2 2.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times

Advertisements

Comparison between the all the major cities in Northern California (minus San Francisco).

Criteria:
- Weather
- Scenery
- Economy
- Education
- Parks
- Waterfront
- Nightlife
- Safety
- Downtown activity
- Shopping
- Diversity
- Housing stock
- School systems (K-12)
- Higher education (Colleges & Universities)
- Mass Transit
- Pace of life
- Quality of life
- Cost of living
- Dining scene

Questions:
- Which Northern California city would you most likely like to live in out of these three and why?

This comparison is Sacramento MSA against San Jose MSA against Oakland Metropolitan Division.

Their populations as of 2009 are as follows:
- San Jose Metropolitan Area (MSA): 1,839,883 (San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009)
- Oakland Metropolitan Division (MD): 2,532,756 (Oakland-Fremont-Hayward, CA Metro Division; San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009)
- Sacramento Metropolitan Area (MSA): 2,127,355 (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...false&-format=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM

25,076 posts, read 32,487,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Comparison between the all the major cities in Northern California (minus San Francisco).

This comparison is Sacramento MSA against San Jose MSA against Oakland Metropolitan Division.

Their populations as of 2009 are as follows:
- San Jose Metropolitan Area (MSA): 1,839,883
- Oakland Metropolitan Division (MD): 2,532,756
- Sacramento Metropolitan Area (MSA): 2,127,355
Oh, okay.

Criteria:
- Weather-Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento

- Scenery-Sacramento stretches all the way to the NV border and includes part of the Sierra Nevada. Oakland and San Jose benefit from being near the coast.

- Economy-San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento

- Education-San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento

- Parks-I think we can call this a three way tie.

- Waterfront-Oakland has a much bigger accessible coastline since the East Bay is surrounded by water on 2 sides, but Sacramento has a nice riverfront area too. San Jose is basically landlocked.

- Nightlife-I think we can call this a three way tie cause all 3 metros have nightlife.

- Safety-all 3 Metro Areas have very safe areas in abundance, but in the case of the East Bay, its going to cost a bit more to be safe compared to the average cost of living. San Jose has the lowest crime rate of any major city in California.

- Downtown activity-Well, I think Oakland has the busiest downtown of the three because of Chinatown. Sacramento has a lot of 9-5 traffic due to state govt workers, San Jose has a better bar and nightclub scene in downtown whereas Sac's is in Midtown, but I think Oakland is really catching up to San Jose if hasnt already surpassed it as far as downtown nightlife. Sacramento has a mall downtown so that's a plus, Oakland has a heavy-rail subway downtown so that's a plus, San Jose has a huge arena downtown so that's a plus.

- Shopping-San Jose has 3 very upscale malls that are among the most successful in the country, Stanford Shopping Center, Valley Fair Mall and Santana Row. Oakland has its own areas of upscale shopping as well, Stoneridge Mall, Broadway Plaza, Bay Street Emeryville are all good but not as good as San Jose's top 3. Sacramento has two mammoth malls, Arden Fair and The Roseville Galleria. So as far as high brow shopping, I would place San Jose first definitely and then Oakland and then Sacramento.

As far as other kinds of shopping, Oakland probably has the best selection of harder to find eclecctic stuff. As far as food shopping, all 3 are excellent because produce is grown so close by.

- Diversity-The East Bay is incredibly diverse and so is the South Bay. Sacramento the Metro is also very diverse but not as much as the other two.

- Housing stock-Three-way tie.

- School systems (K-12) Its close between Oakland and San Jose.

As far as test scores, the San Jose and Oakland metros both have a huge amount of the highest scoring schools in the state of California.

High Schools by API score of 800+, 2010

Oakland Metropolitan Division

Oakland-American Indian Public High 976
Oakland-Oakland Charter High 961
Fremont-Mission San Jose High 952
Orinda-Miramonte High 930
Moraga-Campolindo High 920
San Ramon-Dougherty Valley High 909
Piedmont-Piedmont High 903
Lafayette-Acalanes High 898
San Ramon-Monte Vista High 894
Danville-San Ramon Valley High 891
Pleasanton-Foothill High 889
Pleasanton-Amador Valley High 883
San Ramon-California High School 870
Dublin-Dublin High 868
Walnut Creek-Las Lomas High 864
Walnut Creek-Northgate High 864
Fremont-Irvington High 856
San Pablo-Middle College High 852
Alameda-Alameda Community Learning Center 843
Alameda-Alameda Science & Tech Institute 842
Livermore-Granada High 840
Antioch-Dozier Libbey Med High 824
Hayward-Leadership Public High 823
Alameda-Alameda High 820
Albany-Albany High 820
Pleasant Hill-College Park High 804
Livermore-Livermore High 802
Castro Valley-Castro Valley High 815
Martinez-Alhambra High 812

San Jose MSA
Cupertino-Monta Vista High 943
Santa Cruz-Pacific Collegiate High 943
San Jose-Lynbrook High 939
Saratoga-Saratoga High 932
Palo Alto-Henry Gunn High 917
Palo Alto-Palo Alto High 896
San Jose KIPP San Jose Collegiate High 893
Gilroy-Dr JT Owens Gilroy Early College Academy 892
Cupertino-Cupertino High 891
San Jose-Leland High 890
Los Gatos-Los Gatos High 873
Mountain View-Mountain View High 860
San Jose-University Prep Academy High 859
Cupertino-Homestead High 858
Los Altos-Los Altos High 853
San Jose-Evergreen Valley High 839
San Jose-Pioneer High 823
San Jose-Leigh High 817
San Jose-Piedmont Hills High 809

- Higher education (Colleges & Universities)-San Jose beats Oakland because while Stanford and Berkeley can go toe to toe, San Jose also has San Jose State, which is larger than Cal State East Bay and SJ also has Santa Clara U., which is decent sized as well. Apart from UC and Cal State EB, Oakland has smaller liberal arts colleges like Mills, St. Mary's and Holy Names. So I say San Jose.

- Mass Transit-Oakland.

- Pace of life-The East Bay feels the fastest and most urban so Oakland.

- Quality of life-San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento.

- Cost of living-Sacramento is the least expensive.

- Dining scene-At this time Im gonna say its Oakland, but San Jose and Sacramento are no slouches.

Questions:
- Which Northern California city would you most likely like to live in out of these three and why?

The East Bay. I prefer the climate,the hills, the hustle and bustle, the incredible diversity of people, the arts and culture, the food and the things to see and do of the immediate Oakland area( Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Emeryville) to just about anywhere.

Oh, and being 9 miles from SF isnt so bad either.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,221,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

- Scenery-Sacramento stretches all the way to the NV border and includes part of the Sierra Nevada.

Heh. I know the census bureau likes to stretch the boundaries of MSAs far beyond their logical boundaries, but that's a little bit of an exaggeration even by their standards. As someone who used to live there and has family still living on both sides of the stateline, I'll say that Lake Tahoe and much of the Sierra Nevada region close to the Nevada border are much closer and tied to Reno than Sacramento...It's closer to Oakland from Sacramento than it is to Stateline, Nevada.

Sorry, didn't mean to take this off topic...Just had to get that off my chest.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM

4,573 posts, read 4,639,280 times
Sacramento, where middle class does not mean being a renter and you don't have to sit in traffic for 4 hours just to go snowboarding in tahoe. Not a whole lot of smug provincialsim here either, which is nice. Not having some of the worst traffic in the country like the bay area has also is pretty nice.

After sac, I would choose san jose. Its okay enough, the only problem is considering it is so pricey you would figure the schools would be a good place to send the kids, but they are not. With exception to the evergreen area and the far west side of town, most of the schools just stink. Safe and sterile and it has the Sharks, so that is a plus.

Oakland I would never live in personally. With exception to a few exclusive charters, and some elementary schools in the pricey hills, Oakland has some of the worst schools in the state, and it is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States. Lived in Berkeley for over 6 years, and that was close enough. I'd rather live in Cleveland or Detriot before Oakland. Nothing worse than a city that is run down but still expensive.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 02-12-2011 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 PM

627 posts, read 852,100 times
I'd go Sacramento, San Jose, Oakland. I truly believe Sacramento is Northern California's 'second city'. Sacramento is not attached to the Bay Area like SJ and Oakland, and thus has its own identity. Some people tend to look at SJ and Oakland as suburbs when they're not.

Sacto is a government, blue-collar town. It represents the quinessential Californian. A diverse, middle class community filled with democrats and liberals as well as republicans and conservatives; Has a laid-back environment and not pretentious as SF, LA, or SD. We're not the yuppie and techie San Franciscan or the attention-crazed Angeleno, nor the surfer San Diegan. We are a town of hard workers who live their lives day by day.

Sac proper is beautiful city. The streets of Sac are tree-lined, which not a lot of cities can claim. The cultural and restaurant scene is growing, quite a few social activities, art walks, concert at the park, demonstrations and protest at Capitol Park. There are museums, sports, etc. Cost of living is cheap, and the weather is awesome - except for a few months in the summer.

We enjoy staying out of the spotlight. We enjoy our city for what it is.

Last edited by pistola916; 02-12-2011 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM

12,418 posts, read 13,563,687 times
San Jose surprised the heck out of me when I visited a couple of summers ago.

Tons of Asians (Filipino, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laos) & Hispanics, but no Black people.

I loved going up in the mountains & over looking San Jose's valley at night. Nothing compared to San Francisco, but still amazing none the less. San Jose uses these unique golden colored street lamps all over town for a unified appearance.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I'd go Sacramento, San Jose, Oakland. I truly believe Sacramento is Northern California's 'second city'. Sacramento is not attached to the Bay Area like SJ and Oakland, and thus has its own identity. Some people tend to look at SJ and Oakland as suburbs when they're not.

Sacto is a government, blue-collar town. It represents the quinessential Californian. A diverse, middle class community filled with democrats and liberals as well as republicans and conservatives; Has a laid-back environment and not pretentious as SF, LA, or SD.

Sac proper is beautiful city. The streets of Sac are tree-lined, which not a lot of cities can claim. The cultural and restaurant scene is growing, quite a few social activities, art walks, concert at the park, demonstrations and protest at Capitol Park. There are museums, sports, etc. Cost of living is cheap, and the weather is awesome - except for a few months in the summer.
This is a nice post.

I loved living up there. The only major drawback was the super hot summers, but I got used to it, sort of. LOL

Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,775,477 times
-Weather-

Oakland, CA is rated as having the best weather in the United States.

-Scenery-

Oakland, CA offers the best scenery.

Has the better skyline.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4746073868_4610ba2f75.jpg

Has the better panorama views

http://www.chabotspace.org/assets/about-chabot/chabot-aerial-medium.jpg

Has a forest. (Redwood Regional Park)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4283581139_e7b26e6543.jpg

-Parks-

Oakland, CA has more parks and green space than any other Bay Area city.
It is ranked #5 for green space in large cities.

-Waterfront-

Oakland, CA has over 19 miles of waterfront.

http://www.martinassoc.net/ind_realestate2.jpg

Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
-Weather-

Oakland, CA is rated as having the best weather in the United States.

-Scenery-

Oakland, CA offers the best scenery.

Has the better skyline.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4746073868_4610ba2f75.jpg

Has the better panorama views

http://www.chabotspace.org/assets/about-chabot/chabot-aerial-medium.jpg

Has a forest. (Redwood Regional Park)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/4283581139_e7b26e6543.jpg

-Parks-

Oakland, CA has more parks and green space than any other Bay Area city.
It is ranked #5 for green space in large cities.

-Waterfront-

Oakland, CA has over 19 miles of waterfront.

http://www.martinassoc.net/ind_realestate2.jpg
Lovely pics.

2 views from Oakland's Glenview neighborhood where I grew up.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/...fd07991f_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/...80cf8d8b_z.jpg

Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 AM

74 posts, read 25,792 times
lol, I voted all of the above, only because I want to live in Oakland to be close to San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City