U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Texas vs. Georgia
Texas 66 75.00%
Georgia 22 25.00%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,494,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
It seems like texas is becoming the state to be as a black man (grew up in france, born in angola, africa)
strong economy, very but verrrrrrry cheap housing (almost unbelievable even compared to montreal), good climate
As a black man, there are plenty opportunities all over the US. It depends on what exactly you are looking for. If you just focus on one state, you might end up being disappointed. When comparing these two states, you really can't go wrong with either.

I agree that this particular thread is a somewhat lopsided comparison (because of size and population), but it's not nearly as crazy as people make it sound. There is a whole helluva lot more to the state of Georgia than Atlanta.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM

199 posts, read 307,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
As a black man, there are plenty opportunities all over the US. It depends on what exactly you are looking for. If you just focus on one state, you might end up being disappointed. When comparing these two states, you really can't go wrong with either.

I agree that this particular thread is a somewhat lopsided comparison (because of size and population), but it's not nearly as crazy as people make it sound. There is a whole helluva lot more to the state of Georgia than Atlanta.
Well, for a black male that spent all his life in France, almost any state in the USA will have a better opportunity for me.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM

2,688 posts, read 3,408,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Uhh...yeah...Texas vs. Georgia?

Georgia has one semi important city (at least in the Southeast) in a not so important state.

Texas vs. California would've been a better comparison.
Quote:
^I agree. Why Georgia of all states? State vs. state, it's not a good comparison at all. Either choose two states with multiple major cities like Texas and California as it was stated, or Texas and Florida, or choose two states with just one major city like Georgia and Illinois or Georgia and Minnesota or something. It's a very lopsided comparison from the start.
Uhhmm. Lets not forget landwise Texas is as big as Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and South Carolina combined.

Being that big Texas is supposed to have more major cities than Georgia. It would be pathetic if it didn't.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Uhhmm. Lets not forget landwise Texas is as big as Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and South Carolina combined.

Being that big Texas is supposed to have more major cities than Georgia. It would be pathetic if it didn't.
Lol, yeah but still far less densely populated than all of those states put together on average. So much of western Texas is so sparsely populated, so the state population would have to be almost twice as much as it already is to be compared to all of those states as a group.

I personally think it would be interesting to see how "Texas" would be viewed if it did actually split up into different states. Many don't agree with me, but if East Texas were its own state and Houston was its major city, it would be very comparable to Georgia, pine trees and all. The major difference would be that the major metro would be on the southern coast versus the northern end of the state.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,329,059 times
Quote:

Well in defense of Texas; Texas Triangle [which is about the same land size as Georgia] has a population of about 17 to 18 million.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well in defense of Texas; Texas Triangle [which is about the same land size as Georgia] has a population of about 17 to 18 million.
Well in defense of I don’t even know LOL but besides Florida all the major cities in this region are locate on the piedmont, with in the area of Georgia or the Texas triangle. You could lay it across the piedmont and fit all the main MSA/CSA of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Same deal.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
JJG

10,333 posts, read 9,862,385 times
Quote:

That means NOTHING...

Just look at the "Big West" states of Montana, Idaho, Wyomming, Utah, the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas. Those states have more land than several East Coast states, yet less population.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM

199 posts, read 307,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

well, i want the southern state exept louisiana, tennesee... in fact I am only interested in texas, florida & georgia (for Atlanta)

Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM

10,191 posts, read 10,293,415 times
Hello! Job losses, anyone? I still can't find what I'm looking for.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
well, i want the southern state exept louisiana, tennesee... in fact I am only interested in texas, florida & georgia (for Atlanta)
Well if you're seriously considering a move to the states, I would suggest posting a thread in the respective forums so that the natives can give you the best information on exactly what you're looking for. The southern states share a similar culture, but they each offer things that the others really don't.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/georgia/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/

And why not Louisiana or Tennessee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City