Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these places would be more important?
Atlanta 34 29.31%
Dallas/Fort Worth 31 26.72%
About the same, slight advantage to Atlanta 22 18.97%
About the same, slight advantage to Dallas/Fort Worth 26 22.41%
Other (Please Specify) 3 2.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Okay first of all people, this is infuriating, stop bringing Houston (and other cities) into everything. I don't want to see Houston's name (or any other city) at all in this thread. This is about Dallas/Fort Worth & Atlanta, and lets keep at just those two. I don't care what the devil your excuses are, try to make intelligent and relevant posts, not useless ones and try to stick to the damn cities in the discussion.

Next, neither of these cities are coming close to being an Energy Capital, Finance Capital, or Entertainment Capital, so that argument has nothing to it. So you're saying it has more manufacturing potential of Chemical Petroleum than Southeast Texas? Talk about what Dallas is good at, against Atlanta. As for GDP, talk amongst yourselves to see if all of you agree if it's the best measure or not to the economic realm and influence of a city. We're talking about what these two cities are good at, lets try to keep it that way without involving other cities.

Thank you, I'll request the closure of the thread if it gets off topic, and I will report people who decide to take this into an off topic argument. I want a real thread that sticks to the topic, not a witch hunt.

afonega1, thanks for the post, but could you elaborate on future term economic policies from Atlanta?
I don’t know what your ideal of a diverse economy is because a small town can have a diverse economy if it’s not with in the top 10 or least 15 among US cities in a industry it’s not worth discussing. While is possible Some cities may have both, some cities maybe number one in one industry but a ghost in others, and another city maybe not be number one in anything but a top 10 competitor across the board. When posters say Atlanta economy is diverse that’s what they talking about. Dallas is not number one in Energy but it’s top, just like Atlanta is not number one in finance, or entertainment but Atlanta is actually a top city in those areas.

Besides the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, SunTrust Banks is ranked 8th by total deposits, there other companies in the financial area First Data, Roark Capital Group and etc.

Georgia is rank 5th in film locating the buck of it is shoot in metro Atlanta, screen gems and other companies are opening studios out here now but I not going to talk about film, hell I’m not even going talk about Atlanta with in the black media. The Turner Broadcasting System is not just CNN, it’s 8 other network brands and all there little spin offs. And that not the only major media name in town Cox Enterprises has fifteen television stations, 86 radio stations, 8 news papers and the third largest cable television provider Cox Communications.
--------------
I noticed on this site posters have a formula that GDP equal importance, that creates an error in things that are socially important, Government, Health, Logistics, Education and etc, many of which would not make your economy large but they're very socially important. I give the edge to DFW in economics because the fact is, It’s economy is larger, but a larger economy doesn’t necessarily equal importance that's very abstract and that’s asking two different things to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I don’t know what your ideal of a diverse economy is because a small town can have a diverse economy if it’s not with in the top 10 or least 15 among US cities in a industry it’s not worth discussing. While is possible Some cities may have both, some cities maybe number one in one industry but a ghost in others, and another city maybe not be number one in anything but a top 10 competitor across the board. When posters say Atlanta economy is diverse that’s what they talking about. Dallas is not number one in Energy but it’s top, just like Atlanta is not number one in finance, or entertainment but Atlanta is actually a top city in those areas.

Besides the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, SunTrust Banks is ranked 8th by total deposits, there other companies in the financial area First Data, Roark Capital Group and etc.

Georgia is rank 5th in film locating the buck of it is shoot in metro Atlanta, screen gems and other companies are opening studios out here now but I not going to talk about film, hell I’m not even going talk about Atlanta with in the black media. The Turner Broadcasting System is not just CNN, it’s 8 other network brands and all there little spin offs. And that not the only major media name in town Cox Enterprises has fifteen television stations, 86 radio stations, 8 news papers and the third largest cable television provider Cox Communications.
--------------
I noticed on this site posters have a formula that GDP equal importance, that creates an error in things that are socially important, Government, Health, Logistics, Education and etc, many of which would not make your economy large but they're very socially important. I give the edge to DFW in economics because the fact is, It’s economy is larger, but a larger economy doesn’t necessarily equal importance that's very abstract and that’s asking two different things to me.
CNN and BET can broadcast ATL mutiple skyline 24/7 that doesn't make it anymore prominent in my opinion. Sure its breathtaking on TV but in truth the Atlanta market is overbuilt.

'Overbuilding Hangover' in Store for Atlanta | Planetizen
ULI Report: Atlanta Overbuilt - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA
Peachtree luxury condos tough to sell | Atlanta Business Chronicle
Is It Game Over for Atlanta? | Newgeography.com

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont think you have correct data on Delta vs. American/Southwest. In fact, the statement is dead wrong.

In 2010, Delta transported about 163,000,000 passengers. American transported, about 105,000,000 and Southwest transported 131,000,000.

As you can see Delta is not more than double the size of American and Southwest.
No the statement is NOT dead wrong!Who is talking about freakin passengers?
ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY!Southwest does not even fly International!You cant measure airlines that way.Its like measuring GM versus Schwin Bicycles,Schwin makes more bikes but GM makes more money.
In Total Assets and income:

Delta-Revenue US$28,063 million (FY 2009
Net income US$-1,237 million (FY 2009)
Total assets US$43,539 million (FY 2009)

Southewest Airlines:
Revenue US$10,350 million (FY 2009)

Net income US$99 million (FY 2009)[1]
Total assets US$14,269 million (FY 2009)

American Airlines:
Revenue US$22.1 Billion (FY 2010)

Net income US$-471 Million (FY 2010)[6]
Total assets US$25.4 Billion (FY 2009)

In revenue its just within a few shy of double.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Afonega, I work in the airline industry and I will tell you straight up that how large an airline is measured by the number of passengers they carry. You said that American and Southwest combined was smaller than Delta. That is not true.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No the statement is NOT dead wrong!Who is talking about freakin passengers?
ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY!Southwest does not even fly International!You cant measure airlines that way.Its like measuring GM versus Schwin Bicycles,Schwin makes more bikes but GM makes more money.
In Total Assets and income:

Delta-Revenue US$28,063 million (FY 2009
Net income US$-1,237 million (FY 2009)
Total assets US$43,539 million (FY 2009)

Southewest Airlines:
Revenue US$10,350 million (FY 2009)

Net income US$99 million (FY 2009)[1]
Total assets US$14,269 million (FY 2009)

American Airlines:
Revenue US$22.1 Billion (FY 2010)

Net income US$-471 Million (FY 2010)[6]
Total assets US$25.4 Billion (FY 2009)

In revenue its just within a few shy of double.

how is it double? combined AMR and SW are over 32 Billion in revenue?

Also in terms of end destination passengers ATL and DFW are basically identical on passenger volume

Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
how is it double? combined AMR and SW are over 32 Billion in revenue?

Also in terms of end destination passengers ATL and DFW are basically identical on passenger volume
Also remember southwest airlines bought Air Tran last year and those numbers aren't even included. So now Southwest has a foothole in Hartsfield jackson and the Northeast. The Wright Amendment expires in 2014 and that will ultimately put Southwest on even footing with American Airlines.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 02-14-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Also remember southwest airlines bought Air Tran last year and those numbers aren't even included. So now Southwest has a foothole in Hartsfield jackson and the Northeast. The Wright Amendment expires in 2014 and that will ultimately put Southwest on even footing with American Airlines.
No it won't.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
If you could stack all of the Sausage Patties that Waffle House serves in one day on top of each other, it would be nearly twice the size of the World's Tallest Building, Burj Khalifa in Dubai or four times the size of the Empire State Building, six times the size of the Renaissance Tower in Dallas.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If you could stack all of the Sausage Patties that Waffle House serves in one day on top of each other, it would be nearly twice the size of the World's Tallest Building, Burj Khalifa in Dubai or four times the size of the Empire State Building, six times the size of the Renaissance Tower in Dallas.
Lol, you're something else.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
CNN and BET can broadcast ATL mutiple skyline 24/7 that doesn't make it anymore prominent in my opinion. Sure its breathtaking on TV but in truth the Atlanta market is overbuilt.

Ok this is call a straw man fallacy you attack me in something I was not talking about, your trying too hard I was wasn’t taking about the housing market, Atlanta skyline what the hell? ) Danny brought up entertainment so that something that I specifically addressed. 2, you water down what I said, I spoke about the mass media, and mass communication, it’s important in public relations, and providing information, and you came back with some crap about CNN and BET showing Atlanta skyline. The information to get across isn’t over Atlanta skyline but for you to understand what’s going on over in Egypt, Atlanta is a media hub beyond cable networks, local news papers, radio stations, and local channels in others cities are asset of Atlanta companies. And before you straw man me again I never said Atlanta is number one in this area but a top city obviously NY and LA are over and ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Now i know that not true, I don't have the info on me but there have been several threads Dallas vs Atlanta and this has been addressed and proven un true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City