Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,384,256 times

Advertisements

I hate when people use stats to back up the "tough act".....crime doesn't make you tough. One thing about my city is we are, for the most part, humble people. BUT we will not let people walk over us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,513,990 times
I think we've had this exact thing before. Looking it up it was just called "toughest cities", so I guess it was maybe different in not specifying it be one or the US.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...st-cities.html

My initial choices appear to have been

Nashville, Tennessee
Charlotte, North Carolina
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Columbia, South Carolina
Laredo, Texas

Interestingly that thread was less posted on than this one.

Anyway Marines are said to be tough. Jacksonville, North Carolina apparently has Marines Camp Lejeune nearby and 21% of its population are listed on this site as being in military barracks. It might not count as a "city" by the standards of CD posters, but it is large enough to be a US metropolitan area. Wichita Falls, Texas is also very military by the looks of it and apparently has a fair amount of violent crime if that somehow matters.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c526.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackso...-Carolina.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Wichita-Falls-Texas.html

Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,409,556 times
It is so funny that, when somebody can prove that a certain area has to deal with more tough facts of life like assault and poverty, that everybody suddenly makes excuses and tears that person apart.

To every one who has contradicted me, and my basis for this discussion (who can properly create sentences,) tell me exactly what your idea of tough is and why you believe the statistics I posted to be wrong?

Is it because your area was tough at one time, but hasn't been since you were a baby? You're trying to hold on to that?

Is it because your area wasn't on this list, and is no longer as tough as it used to be?

Is it because your area isn't as tough as you think it is?

News flash, if you haven't gotten jumped, and stuck up (which are aggravated assaults,) you probably have not been in a tough area. People can wear as many du-rags as they want, and act as bad as they wish, but it doesn't make your town tough.

I'm the only person on here who can actually back his argument up with something more than a Youtube video, and if you can't come up with something more legit than aggravated assault numbers, you're a bunch of hot air.

Personally, I've been to the drab Bronx, and Brooklyn, which I love, many times, and the people there clearly are holding on a little too tightly to the ghetto culture, which left many years ago. These areas, even in the early 1990s (when you guys were in diapers,) still were not the worst in the country.

Philadelphia and Baltimore, on the other hand, are tougher, poorer cities with much worse crime and are therefore tougher - the residents have a tougher life, and have to be tougher.

At the very top are the cities in the Mid-west and Mid-Atlantic that I listed. Those are the toughest cities people growing up, and living their lives have to deal with.

If you don't like it, fine, ignore the facts, your town is the toughest, sure. Go ahead. If you want the truth, you have it above.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,409,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
your boring next. seems like talking tough behind your pc is waht your good at. LOUD MOUTH NEW YORKER? lmao the only one talking loud is you.

like i tell most people on this site if you feel new york is loud and soft come over here and meet me or anyone in my crew personally and lets see how loud your E-THUG self is.

i can see this person is already on my *ss. Following me on threads that involve nyc crime. hahah.

New jersey? half of new yorks gangs are in new jersey doing our dirty work. Enough said.
If you were so bad, you wouldn't be caught dead on an internet forum. I'm not claiming to be a thug. You are. I'm actually over 18 attempting to make legitimate discussion.

Truly "hood" people don't post on internet forums. Are your other gang members on the forum as well? What are their screen names? Do they care to discuss the topic?

I know when I was a little hoodrat, we ran around drinking St. Ide, and rolling "Garcy's" We weren't at home on the computer typing about it.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,930,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Truly "hood" people don't post on internet forums. Are your other gang members on the forum as well? What are their screen names? Do they care to discuss the topic?

There are actually a few sad internet outposts where gang members do post. The people who post are honestly barely literate.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,846,667 times
I find Detroiters (metro Detroiters for the most part) pretty reserved actually. I don't really see it. It's just a violent city in general.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,137,147 times
I usually see blue-collar type cities as tough. Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Pittsburgh, and more.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,846,667 times
Houston's blue collar?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 PM

258 posts, read 1,033,383 times
Buffalo isn't that bad at all

Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM

170 posts, read 390,674 times
lol@ people saying violence/fighting shouldn't be mentioned when talking about a city being "tough"

the 1st cities that come to mind is detroit and philly just because of those two reasons alone..

and you guys can try to down talk the hood as being full of punks wit guns all you want, but the fact of the matter is, its a lot more people who DON'T pack guns or shoot people but DO live in the hood and surviving..it takes a stong willed/minded person to that..

why do you think the stories that involve those that came from the harshest enviornments to become successful in life is the most celebrated?? its because thats the TOUGHEST way to live

most of you guys thats talking have never been in the streets, you don't know about street life except from some statistics you read in the paper/internet or what you see on the news..which makes it easy for you to judge..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City