Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think only people who haven't been to Los Angeles & Miami make that comparison (In my opinion). Nothing about them feel the same, however I will say that Miami has two things in common with Los Angeles:

- Palm Tree's
- Diverse Hispanic Population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Starbucks right next to another Starbucks)
There's at least one intersection in San Antonio like that (there are three within a quarter mile of each other). I don't know how common that is, but I don't like it.

I guess downtown SA and some of the historic places are unique, but most of the rest is anytown USA. Some of the hilly parts could conceivably be mistaken for parts of S. California.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Actually, I think only people who haven't been to Los Angeles & Miami make that comparison (In my opinion). Nothing about them feel the same, however I will say that Miami has two things in common with Los Angeles:

- Palm Tree's
- Diverse Hispanic Population
You can kinda add architecture to that list. Outside of all the high-rises, the housing stock in Miami proper isn't all that different from LA. Than the similarities end after that. That's what makes Miami so unique. I literally can't think of a single city(outside of Florida) that reminds me of directly of Miami.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can kinda add architecture to that list. Outside of all the high-rises, the housing stock in Miami proper isn't all that different from LA. Than the similarities end after that. That's what makes Miami so unique. I literally can't think of a single city(outside of Florida) that reminds me of directly of Miami.
If we're counting cities inside the same metro as Miami, there's a few that share striking resemblance's, but that's not to mark any points because they're in the same metro. Other than that, honestly I cant even think up any cities in Florida that come close to being like Miami. Miami is a one of a kind, not just in the United States, but in the world, no place like it (at least that I've heard of or been to).

Architecture, eh if you mean the Spanish Style Housing, most cities that had and were ruled by Spanish colonization have that style, Houston, Tampa, Phoenix, San Antonio, & Orlando all have it too.

The other forms of housing in Los Angeles are just incredibly different than Miami's in my opinion. But one thing I will tell you polo89, they are both amongst some of the best cities this country have to offer, truly this country is blessed for all the cities it has and all the roles each city play. It truly makes the United States unlike any other for better or worse.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
If we're counting cities inside the same metro as Miami, there's a few that share striking resemblance's, but that's not to mark any points because they're in the same metro. Other than that, honestly I cant even think up any cities in Florida that come close to being like Miami. Miami is a one of a kind, not just in the United States, but in the world, no place like it (at least that I've heard of or been to).

Architecture, eh if you mean the Spanish Style Housing, most cities that had and were ruled by Spanish colonization have that style, Houston, Tampa, Phoenix, San Antonio, & Orlando all have it too.

The other forms of housing in Los Angeles are just incredibly different than Miami's in my opinion. But one thing I will tell you polo89, they are both amongst some of the best cities this country have to offer, truly this country is blessed for all the cities it has and all the roles each city play. It truly makes the United States unlike any other for better or worse.
You're right, but none of those cities have it to the same extent that Miami and LA do.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You're right, but none of those cities have it to the same extent that Miami and LA do.
It's mostly a Miami thing. If I had to describe it in percentages of what I've seen in both cities, its more like 70% of Miami is full of those homes & 35% of Los Angeles is full of those homes.

But yeah I get the point you're trying to make, but its a more of a see in person type of thing. Those style of homes are "glamorous" and the kinds they show off in media a lot because they show prosperous, large, architecturally stunning, coastal themed homes. Most homes in Los Angeles are pretty different more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City