Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago's south side is a lot better than Detroit. You have to be pretty misinformed to make an ignorant statement like that.
This is a fair statement about parts of Chicago's south side. But you'd have to be pretty ignorant to generalize the entire south side like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
This is a fair statement about parts of Chicago's south side. But you'd have to be pretty ignorant to generalize the entire south side like that.
That's my point.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Why do people do that: take phrases like "the south side of Chicago is rough" and then take it out of context to mean "every square mile of the southern part of Chicago is rough". It doesn't address the point at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Who would want to live in Chicago? The majority of the people who live there, probably just do so because they are too poor to escape its grip. It's cold, isolated, violent, and segregated.
lol you know damn well people are going to roast you since philly has a higher crime rate then chicago lol.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
lol you know damn well people are going to roast you since philly has a higher crime rate then chicago lol.

while I think the comments were ill advised, Philly and Chciago are both pretty comparable on crime rate actually, good news is both are getting better

Crime in Philly is down dramtically over the last 10 years, much like what happened in NYC a decade ago

Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Well I didn't really bash anyone or any place though, don't see how what I said about Dallas having high poverty is harsh.

I mean, I am going to defend my hometown when people bash it though, especially when information is wrong at least.

Chicago being isolated?
- It's the most inter-connected flight destination in America (because its nearly centrally located), its got one of the best travel times to nearly any city in the country. Not a far drive away from other cities either.

Chicago segregated? Okay, yes it is segregated no doubt about that and probably a bit more so than some of the Northeastern cities, but Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC, & Boston are pretty segregated also.

You can see for yourself here: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
None of these cities in the Northeast & Midwest are in the South & West to say they're as integrated.

Chicago is cold? Everything in the Frostbelt is cold first of all, haha. And there isn't much of a difference between Chicago and Philadelphia in this regard either.

Chicago:

Philadelphia:

There really isn't much difference between Chicago's issues and the issues of any of the other major cities in the country, all deal with poverty, all deal with crime (besides New York, not as much), all deal with weather (besides Los Angeles), all deal with the same issues kind of.
it seems as if your saying philly,s and nyc segregation is on the same level of chicago when in reality its not at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Anyone who thinks that New York and Chicago have anything but superficial similarities has obviously never spent time in both cities. And Detroit? I won't even go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Right! Okay there are alot of places with vacant lots but IMHO the worst on the South Side is not quite similar to the Worst in detroit. (as far as vacant neighborhoods).

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Why do people do that: take phrases like "the south side of Chicago is rough" and then take it out of context to mean "every square mile of the southern part of Chicago is rough". It doesn't address the point at all.
Why do people make sweeping generalizations and the get suprised when people take their words at face value? That's a better question.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I wouldnt say they look NO DIFFERENT. Thats a stretch. There are definitely places similar to Detroit but for the most part they dont look eactly the same.

mas23
I said "almost" looks no different than Detroit.

Quote:
Chicago's south side is a lot better than Detroit. You have to be pretty misinformed to make an ignorant statement like that.
A lot better? That's a lie. Maybe a little better, since Chicago is in a healthier metro area, but definitely not a lot better. Again, the city lost 200K people in just ten years. Not even Detroit did that. You want to talk about ignorance, yet you've said some pretty ignorant things in the Houston forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I know right. These people are mad.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Right! Okay there are alot of places with vacant lots but IMHO the worst on the South Side is not quite similar to the Worst in detroit. (as far as vacant neighborhoods).

Not only that but the best of the south side is way better than Detroit's best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City