Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 AM

765 posts, read 2,127,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You might consider following your own advice. Why is this so important to you that you have to make another thread just because you didn't get any kind of agreement on the first one? I grew up enjoying everything Wade Oval had to offer, from Parade the Circle to music lessons at CIM to drawing lessons at the art museum, and I did it without once worrying about how it compared to Chicago. Can't you do the same?
I don't think anybody should be forced to accept the status quo if they believe that it's wrong. I'm not saying that Chicago doesn't have great culture, I just think that in Cleveland high culture is a larger part of the overall culture because we have so much of it for a considerably smaller city. And the reason I brought up the island from Google Earth is that I didn't recall if it was actually on an island or just a peninsula, and that confirmed to me that it is. I'm in Chicago at least two or three times a year btw.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I don't think anybody should be forced to accept the status quo if they believe that it's wrong. I'm not saying that Chicago doesn't have great culture, I just think that in Cleveland high culture is a larger part of the overall culture because we have so much of it for a considerably smaller city. And the reason I brought up the island from Google Earth is that I didn't recall if it was actually on an island or just a peninsula, and that confirmed to me that it is. I'm in Chicago at least two or three times a year btw.
It's not.

And there's a difference between not "accepting the status quo" and attacking both posters and the city. You don't need to do that to support another city.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 AM

765 posts, read 2,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It's not.

And there's a difference between not "accepting the status quo" and attacking both posters and the city. You don't need to do that to support another city.
Why don't you look it up? I'm not attacking anybody, I'm bringing up a topic for debate, if you don't like it don't comment, nobody says that you have to take it personally, or respond to what I'm saying. If you don't like it, just ignore it, it's not like it's hurting anybody.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Why don't you look it up? I'm not attacking anybody, I'm bringing up a topic for debate, if you don't like it don't comment, nobody says that you have to take it personally, or respond to what I'm saying. If you don't like it, just ignore it, it's not like it's hurting anybody.
1. I know I'm right.

2. Yes you have. And it's against the TOS, so telling someone to "just ignore it" so you can continue, doesn't work.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM

458 posts, read 1,222,927 times
Posted in the Cleveland sub-forum, and I think it still applies here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
For a city of 430,000 and a metro population of 2.1 million, you can't find better amenities in a similar sized city.

Cleveland can rival, but maybe not beat, many larger cities in this catergory. Cleveland can "compete" against much larger cities with a population of 1,000,000+.
While Cleveland is great for its size, it is hard to "beat" the vast the offerings that a large city such as Chicago can offer, but it does compare on some level.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:

Just like Coney Island in NYC, Northerly Island is not an island. The fact that there's a parking lot on it kinda gives it away. You've also left out the Art Institute which is pretty much in the center of Chicago on Michigan Ave.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
One of Chicago's most-visited museums, The Museum of Science and Industry, is well-integrated into the Hyde Park neighborhood, near the University of Chicago. Hardly an island. Furthermore, I wouldn't categorize Lakeshore Drive as a "freeway," although it is large and imposing.

Certainly Cleveland's arts offering are awfully impressive, especially given the size of the metro area. I won't get into which community is more centered around the arts. Quite frankly, I don't care where you go in the world, the arts are generally a niche thing and the vast majority of the masses rarely pay attention to them.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Have you been to Chicago before? It doesn't seem like it.

You also clearly have a vendetta against Chicago judging from your previous posts.

And by heated debate if you mean forcing your ideas and hate on the Cleveland posters.
I actually thought he must have been talking about Cleveland when he said the museums are on an island or separated by a freeway. Chicago doesn't even have any islands. There are the aquarium/planetarium and Field Museum on a museum campus on the southside of downtown, but there isn't a freeway cutting anything off. I know Lakeshore goes through that area, but there are huge walkways around that road, and the muesums are 1/2 mile or less from two different train stations.

The art museum is in the heart of downtown, along with other art museums around the downtown/north side areas.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
. Furthermore, I wouldn't categorize Lakeshore Drive as a "freeway," although it is large and imposing.
Really?

Not a freeway? I always thought of it as a freeway, albeit an attractive one.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Really?

Not a freeway? I always thought of it as a freeway, albeit an attractive one.
It's not completely controlled-access in the museum area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City