Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 09:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
If a downtown literally slapped you in the face, I don't think you would survive the ordeal. More than likely it would be a newsworthy event.

Would that constitute as a major national disaster?
Okay lol. People and their abusive downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think its the music and the dusk, but this one is very relaxing for some reason...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26Werr8Wcc

I really like the Bay Bridge entrance, you feel like you are really going somewhere special.
If you like to see the skyline fully stretched out though the view from the 101 heading north in to SF up the peninsula always gets me, wish I had a pic.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
How about we stop with the homerisms and let people feel whatever they want?
Because "homerism" is actually justified in this instance. The only reason anybody even thinks there's better is because a lot of people have never even been to Pittsburgh.

Hell, a writer in the New York Times once described Pittsburgh as "the only city in America with an entrance," so if there's only one, then the title of this topic should be changed to say "approaches" instead of "entrances," because one city can't compete against itself.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM

226 posts, read 645,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I really like the Bay Bridge entrance, you feel like you are really going somewhere special.
If you like to see the skyline fully stretched out though the view from the 101 heading north in to SF up the peninsula always gets me, wish I had a pic.
That was beautiful. I have never been to San Fran, but have a friend that has a lot of family there. He lives in LA. When I move to vegas, I really hope I can go with him up there once or twice.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
FDR drive is always a good one

I think just about any approach to the Manhattan skyline is impressive partly because it's on an island and so self-contained. Coming from the water on a ferry is pretty nice.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Some posts were edited above. When you post an image inline for everyone to see, make sure that image is NOT copyrighted. If it is copyrighted, post a link to it instead.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Because "homerism" is actually justified in this instance. The only reason anybody even thinks there's better is because a lot of people have never even been to Pittsburgh.

Hell, a writer in the New York Times once described Pittsburgh as "the only city in America with an entrance," so if there's only one, then the title of this topic should be changed to say "approaches" instead of "entrances," because one city can't compete against itself.
Okay, what is it about the concept of an opinion that you don't seem to comprehend? If someone has seen Pittsburgh coming out of the tunnel, and they still don't feel it's best, are they just wrong?

Like I said before, an impressive entrance (or approach) isn't just about being surprised by the downtown.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 AM

226 posts, read 645,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

nitpicker. Who cares, I love the Pittsburgh "slap in the face" as much as anybody else. Quit being overly competitive and micromanaging the title of the thread. Opinions are like @@@holes everybody's got one. We all can have other cities we like as we "Approach/enter".

Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Baltimore has some pleasant entrances; none are "impressive" but the entrances are nice

I-83 is a really nice drive and has that surprise factor

Old 02-19-2011, 02:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Uhhh Houston isn't for everyone. Yes the size of the city might impress, but some people are more impressed with natural landscapes that compliment the cityscape. mountains adding to the skyline in beautiful cities like Seattle, Denver, even Salt Lake City. Approaching Miami taking in the various colors complimented with the waterfront, skyline, and palm trees is more exciting than driving into Houston. Big freeways are very common in most modern US cities, another few lanes bigger than LA freeways doesn't impress some people. Honestly I put Houston on the same scale as Atlanta for big city approaches, impressive yes, but not the greatest.
Atlanta's skyline is no where near as tall or as large as Houston's...

They've got one building with a cheating spire that's taller if you take that into account.

Houston's skyline denotes boldness & power, something ATL lacks. Its much more elegant than Houston's however, but a skyline filled with tall spires mounted on relatively short buildings really doesn't impress me much. Anyone can throw a simple spire on top & say their building is tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City