Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terestia View Post
I lived in Baltimore Maryland for two years and why I left is probably because of temporary insanity. I really loved Baltimore but i was young and unwise and did not know the opportunities afforded me living there. I grew up in St. Louis and well the crime is a little too much for me. When i lived there the St. Louis Whirl was a paper that glorified every crime in St. Louis. I have thought about this since I'm older that a city has a paper specifically designed to report crime and that blows my mind. How dark and sinister can that be? I used to love to read it being young and impressionable. That was like thirty-years ago. But these days I do more praying than anything.
I do believe the Whirl could be classified as quasi-fiction, unless you believe everything you read in the Examiner.
St. Louis Evening Whirl Online: America's Leading Crime Fighting Publication
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:32 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Baltimore has Hamsterdam
Baltimore has Marlo
Baltimore was the home of Omar

st louis what?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Baltimore has Hamsterdam
Baltimore has Marlo
Baltimore was the home of Omar

st louis what?
Are you glorifying The Wire? smh

Both of these cities have abnormally high black on black murder rates. Maryland and Missouri also have some of the highest incarceration and murder rates among Black men. Nothing to be proud of. Probably a combination of them being Border States - historical Southern states/policies with Northern industrial cities in St. Louis and Baltimore.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 PM

187 posts, read 541,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I love Rapid City, but wish it was more like Tokyo!
Well, that was a pretty immature random outburst. But you still made me laugh harder than I ever have at a forum post. LOL.

In all seriousness, I think I agree with above posters in the sense that Baltimore doesn't really need as many attractions as STL because it's already like 30 minutes from DC. How can you get bored with all those museums? STL is isolated, the closest city of comparable size is like 12 hours away. I bet they wish they lived in MD. That's like saying Ft. Lauderdale is boring because it doesn't have as many attractions as Tampa. It's like 15 minutes from Miami, so who cares!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Are you glorifying The Wire? smh

Both of these cities have abnormally high black on black murder rates. Maryland and Missouri also have some of the highest incarceration and murder rates among Black men. Nothing to be proud of. Probably a combination of them being Border States - historical Southern states/policies with Northern industrial cities in St. Louis and Baltimore.
That was a joke... The wire is my favorite TV drama... Do not get me wrong, as a black buy (but not African american) myself, I am the first who condemn black on black crime

Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Baltimore and STL, two pretty good little cities--with some great Baseball fans.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM

418 posts, read 808,993 times
I never thought of Baltimore as a little city. What I do notice is, people always go to the same places, running into the same faces. However, Baltimore has a lot of different places to go and things to do, way more than it gets credit for.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Well, that was a pretty immature random outburst. But you still made me laugh harder than I ever have at a forum post. LOL.

In all seriousness, I think I agree with above posters in the sense that Baltimore doesn't really need as many attractions as STL because it's already like 30 minutes from DC. How can you get bored with all those museums? STL is isolated, the closest city of comparable size is like 12 hours away. I bet they wish they lived in MD. That's like saying Ft. Lauderdale is boring because it doesn't have as many attractions as Tampa. It's like 15 minutes from Miami, so who cares!
Chicago is less than 6 hours from the Lou, its not "isolated".
You make it sound as though it were perched on a windswept tundra in Siberia.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 PM

187 posts, read 541,362 times
Lol, that might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but compared to cities in the Northeast and Great Lakes Midwest area, it is pretty isolated. I can drive 6 hours from Miami and pass through FTL, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Lol, that might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but compared to cities in the Northeast and Great Lakes Midwest area, it is pretty isolated. I can drive 6 hours from Miami and pass through FTL, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.
We Midwesterners are used to driving, most of us actually like it.
Road trip, adventure, the open road and all that.
As for Florida road trip you described, you can keep that S Fl traffic.
Been there about 15 too many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City