U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
true, although i don't think baltimore is particularly fast paced either.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,850,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
NYMt, why is Stl less interesting?
Not nearly as many rowhomes, lacks an easily identifiable accent, not as old...

Looking on google street view I can't even find any row houses. In Baltimore you'd have to be totally blind not to find them. St Louis just looks like a typical midwestern city to me.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,689,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Pullah View Post
I almost busted out laughing when I read this because honestly if you haven't really experienced Baltimore like that then thats how you're going to see it as. I thought the same time, like Baltimore is just there for no reason taking up 92 square miles of land/water that could go to better uses. But it does serve a purpose on the east coast, its a major port city and is known for its seafood.

On another topic, Baltimore acts more southern than D.C. despite being north of it.
Baltimore "acts" more Southern because it is Southern......

Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,689,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
I don't ever think about Baltimore. It seems like a city that has no reason to exist. It's not a regional city. DC and Philadelphia dominate that region. I never think about Baltimore unless someone mentions it.
Wow I felt the same way about Charlotte and Atlanta.....

Like if it wasn't for "New Yalk City" transplants both Charlotte and Atlanta would not be as noticeable outside of the South.........

Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 AM

21 posts, read 18,018 times
both are cities filled with yankees, which means cold weather and crime.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM

136 posts, read 213,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

Looking on google street view I can't even find any row houses. In Baltimore you'd have to be totally blind not to find them. St Louis just looks like a typical midwestern city to me.
There are a couple of things I want to clear up with your post. First St. Louis does not have an abundance of row homes like Baltimore, Philadelphia and the rest of the east coast, but St. Louis does still have row homes. Second many of our rowhomes were completely destroyed by urban renewal, depopulation, and the building of highways.

When you were looking on google maps I doubt you knew were to look (please correct me if i'm wrong) because St. Louis rowhomes only really show up in The Near North, The Near South and Midtown(which all are competely gone).

I don't know what you mean by lacking an "identifiable accent". St. Louis is one of the oldest cities in the US it was founded in 1764. Lastly St. Louis housing vernacular isn't typical midwest; Typical midwest housing is Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Columbus and Indianapolis.

Here are some St. Louis rowhomes
Benton Park
Fox Park
Lafayette Square
Fipsy

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM

976 posts, read 1,807,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

these depict pretty typical st. louis city neighborhoods:

st. louis is the oldest major city in the midwest, founded in 1764, which makes it older than the united states. if that's "typical midwest" then the midwest is pretty damn interesting. yes, baltimore is older.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
these depict pretty typical st. louis city neighborhoods:

st. louis is the oldest major city in the midwest, founded in 1764, which makes it older than the united states. if that's "typical midwest" then the midwest is pretty damn interesting. yes, baltimore is older.
what exactly is "typical midwest" anyway? lol

Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
No comparison. St. Louis is a midwest city. It doesn't even come close to Baltimore's east coast. Plus Baltimore's neighborhoods are more urban. There is nothing like a Baltimore rowhouse that dumps you right out on the sidewalk when you walk out the front door.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 AM

7,245 posts, read 5,532,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
No comparison. St. Louis is a midwest city. It doesn't even come close to Baltimore's east coast. Plus Baltimore's neighborhoods are more urban. There is nothing like a Baltimore rowhouse that dumps you right out on the sidewalk when you walk out the front door.
LOL... some neighborhoods dump u right out in the street when u walk out the front door.

Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City