Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times

Advertisements

^ yeah seriously, any city from the interstate won't tell you much at all about the place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Well from what I have seen, it looks decidely midwestern. Just like the argument, Chicago looks like NYC. Nah! No it doesn't. At street level, it looks like a midwest city.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Well from what I have seen, it looks decidely midwestern. Just like the argument, Chicago looks like NYC. Nah! No it doesn't. At street level, it looks like a midwest city.
cities can look like whatever you want them to look like. st. louis is a lot older than chicago, so it it has a more eastern-influenced architectural style in its older neighborhoods. as i said before, there are a number of neighborhoods in baltimore that look "midwestern" as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Nah! Baltimore is overwhelming east coast with all of its row houses. You might have a few blocks that have something midwestern but its not prevalent throughout the city. I understand that St. Louis has row houses too. But so does Cincy and it definitely does not feel like the east coast.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM

dc's finest, i don't think anyone is arguing with you. baltimore feels and looks east coast because it is east coast. st. louis is a midwestern city that shares many eastern qualities in terms of its built environment. it is not built like a "typical midwest city" i.e. indianapolis, columbus, kansas city, etc. it is much older than most cities in the region and therefore has a more established eastern atmosphere.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
i have to bump in here to throw in cincinnati. baltimore, Philadelphia, cincinnati, and st louis are all quite similar in many ways. while actually spending time in each would be better, a quick glance through the history books will tell you why these cities, despite being separated by 1/3 of the country, are so similar.

the development of america's cities is really fascinating once you strip away the banal popular notions of "west coast," "southern," "east coast," etc.

...and DC should be thankful it has a real city nearby. /kidding

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Pro,

DC and Baltimore are both lucky to be so close to each other. Baltimore is a nice change of pace from DC. It's like Bizarro DC.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You said in a previous post that you have been through STL, I take that to mean you have never spent a great deal of time there.
Am I misunderstanding you?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
cities can look like whatever you want them to look like. st. louis is a lot older than chicago, so it it has a more eastern-influenced architectural style in its older neighborhoods. as i said before, there are a number of neighborhoods in baltimore that look "midwestern" as well.
what neighborhoods are those??

Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
what neighborhoods are those??
fairmont, evesham park, woodberry, and several others. none of these neighborhoods are characterized by baltimore's vernacular rowhomes. actually, they are much more suburban (in some parts semi-rural) than any portion of st. louis city. and they're all in baltimore city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City