Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colorado vs New Mexico
Colorado 130 58.82%
New Mexico 91 41.18%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:30 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

Colorado Vs. New Mexico

Some simalarities, some differences. Both in the Southern Rockies, Colorado more alpine, New Mexico more high desert. Do you prefer the big city life in Denver or laid back Albuquerque and artsy Santa Fe? Colorado has got skiing on top, New Mexico has a cultural edge with the adobe architecture and Native American/Hispanic influence. Which state do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Colorado Vs. New Mexico

Some simalarities, some differences. Both in the Southern Rockies, Colorado more alpine, New Mexico more high desert. Do you prefer the big city life in Denver or laid back Albuquerque and artsy Santa Fe? Colorado has got skiing on top, New Mexico has a cultural edge with the adobe architecture and Native American/Hispanic influence. Which state do you prefer?
Colorado, one of my all time favorite states (because of Denver & Aspen). New Mexico is pretty awesome in itself too, both are great states and Albuquerque has always reminded me of Tucson which is a good thing but it doesn't have quite the same flair.

But overall:
Denver > Albuquerque
Aspen > Santa Fe
Colorado > New Mexico

Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
OK I admit I created this thread to hear more about NM, even the homers there. I'll be taking my first trip to the state next month and can't wait to see it.

No doubt Colorado gets a lot more noteriety, and for good reason. It's also a much more prosperous state. However NM seems to have a lot of character.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
Agreed with the above poster! Colorado does everything bigger and better than our little brother from the south!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
You can beet the Front Range Urban Corridor from Pueblo to Fort Collins including Denver. Then we have some of the best skiing in the world.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK I admit I created this thread to hear more about NM, even the homers there. I'll be taking my first trip to the state next month and can't wait to see it.

No doubt Colorado gets a lot more noteriety, and for good reason. It's also a much more prosperous state. However NM seems to have a lot of character.
Depending on what you are looking for, you should enjoy New Mexico. I hope you enjoy your visit there. I've passed through it many times and can say it's a nice state. Some of the better scenery is in the western part of the state. Just driving along I-40 and you'll get some good viewing, but it gets better the further off the beaten path you get.

Denver and Colorado are home, however, and New Mexico (in my humble opinion) doesn't even compare to Colorado. There is a noticeable difference between the two as soon as you cross the state line from one to the other.

Also, Colorado has more of the things I enjoy. MLB, NFL come to mind. Albuquerque cannot compete with Denver in terms of shopping and sports, and most other amenities as well, but that's all pretty much based off of my preferences.

But again, if you prefer SW culture, high desert, less population, Native American culture (we have that in CO as well, but to a much lesser extent) then you should enjoy your visit to NM.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Colorado

Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 AM

112 posts, read 207,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Agreed with the above poster! Colorado does everything bigger and better than our little brother from the south!
Hey I resent that! I would describe NM more like the laid back hippie brother who just goes with the flow, where as CO is the preppy brother who is always trying to impress.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesABQ View Post
CO is the preppy brother who is always trying to impress.
Well it must be working. Colorado and some of its cities consistently rank in the top 5 in "Where do you wish you lived?", "Best places to live" and "Most fit, outdoorsy, active" surveys. Aspen and Vail are world class ski resorts. Denver is the largest city in 1,000 miles in any direction. If Colorado is "trying" to impress, it is certainly working!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesABQ View Post
Hey I resent that! I would describe NM more like the laid back hippie brother who just goes with the flow, where as CO is the preppy brother who is always trying to impress.
I wouldn't call Colorado preppy. Preppy is Cape Cod, New York, Charleston, or somewhere like that. Colorado is more like t-shirt, jeans, and an SUV full of kids. It's middle America at it's finest--and most outdoorsy. New Mexico is, in many ways, America's most unique state--and your laid back hippie brother description is fairly accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City