Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah no resemblance at all is there...
They have similar skylines. That is where the similarities begin and end.

I personally like Houston's skyline more, though LA's is more iconic. Because LA has more hilly areas and mountains, there are opportunities for some incredible vistas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 04:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
They have similar skylines. That is where the similarities begin and end.

I personally like Houston's skyline more, though LA's is more iconic. Because LA has more hilly areas and mountains, there are opportunities for some incredible vistas.
Both are on the coast.

Both have lots of palm trees.

Both have some of the largest freeways in the World.

Both have sizable Asian & Hispanic populations.

Houston has the single largest Asian population in the entire Southern region of the United States & the only official Chinatowns.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Why not just take a NASA fly-over of the LA Basin:

NASA creates animated ‘fly over” of O.C., L.A. counties - OC Science : The Orange County Register

Just hit the "click here" within the article.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Both are on the coast.

Both have lots of palm trees.

Both have some of the largest freeways in the World.

Both have sizable Asian & Hispanic populations.

Houston has the single largest Asian population in the entire Southern region of the United States.
This is about the physical traits of the cities. I'll give you palm trees though I doubt there are as many there as there are here. It's kind of ridiculous here.

Houston has a much more developed freeway system. LA's got 3/4 of the way finished and was basically abandoned (thank goodness there attention was redirected to PT). Freeways like the 5 and the 101 are ancient and not the super freeways one would imagine.

We are already far enough off topic I'm not touching diversity / population makeup, that is for another thread.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
This is about the physical traits of the cities. I'll give you palm trees though I doubt there are as many there as there are here. It's kind of ridiculous here.

Houston has a much more developed freeway system. LA's got 3/4 of the way finished and was basically abandoned (thank goodness there attention was redirected to PT). Freeways like the 5 and the 101 are ancient and not the super freeways one would imagine.

We are already far enough off topic I'm not touching diversity / population makeup, that is for another thread.
Of course LA has way more palm trees than Houston has, but Houston does have a lot considering Texas isn't exactly known for that.

Its more like Northern Florida in a sense.

Can you guess which place this is?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...houston-4.html

Most of the palms in Texas are grown in the Houston area on large palm tree farms.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Of course LA has way more palm trees than Houston has, but Houston does have a lot considering Texas isn't known for that.

Its more like Northern Florida.

Can you guess which place this is?

Most of the palm trees in Texas are grown in the Houston area on large palm farms.
They are kind of annoying. They drop all kinds of crap on the ground (that my dog loves to eat) and provide no shade. Ficus trees are also really big out here and they provide shade but also destroy sidewalks. Basically both are very aesthetically pleasing but very irritating trees.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Less than 1% of Houston has strip clubs next to churches and while there is no zoning in the city, there is strict ordinances.
Bummer... I was actually excited to go to Houston and buy a house in between a strip club and a church with a skyscraper in my backyard.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
They are kind of annoying. They drop all kinds of crap on the ground (that my dog loves to eat) and provide no shade. Ficus trees are also really big out here and they provide shade but also destroy sidewalks. Basically both are very aesthetically pleasing but very irritating trees.

triggzBb on Flickr

Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Skate park in DT Houston

urbancitylife.tv

Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Despite what people think LA's freeways are old, dirty, graffiti infested, not as grand as the TX freeways, our freeways are not really used for advertisement as much as TX freeways either, but like munchitup said aside from the skylines Houston and LA are not that much alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City