Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times

Advertisements

I have been to all the cities mentioned here as is the case for most who dont ID their experience to make comments.

I attended a 3 different week long conferences in greater LA including one for a week DT LA, I believe it was the biltmore hotel or which ever hotel down town hosted the Oscars long ago. I've lived in Pittsburgh, Houston, NYC suburbs, and now DFW metroplex. DT LA felt no more urban or alive than Houstons and seemed smaller size wise in terms of commercial office space but I may be wrong on the size point. I think the comparison to Houston or Dallas DT's is a fair comparison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I have been to all the cities mentioned here as is the case for most who dont ID their experience to make comments.

I attended a 3 different week long conferences in greater LA including one for a week DT LA, I believe it was the biltmore hotel or which ever hotel down town hosted the Oscars long ago. I've lived in Pittsburgh, Houston, NYC suburbs, and now DFW metroplex. DT LA felt no more urban or alive than Houstons and seemed smaller size wise in terms of commercial office space but I may be wrong on the size point. I think the comparison to Houston or Dallas DT's is a fair comparison
Are there leprechauns and unicorns in your world also?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:

In terms of pure square mileage DTLA is larger than Houston's and Dallas'. They may have more office square footage, downtown LA is no powerhouse in that regard.

When did you have the conference downtown?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Are there leprechauns and unicorns in your world also?
Yeah, that was odd. DTLA lacks polish, but it's a pretty lively sizeable area, especially by day. Perhaps he stayed in the financial district--which is pretty dull compared to Little Tokyo/Historic Core/Fashion District.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, that was odd. DTLA lacks polish, but it's a pretty lively sizeable area, especially by day. Perhaps he stayed in the financial district--which is pretty dull compared to Little Tokyo/Historic Core/Fashion District.
Yeah theres nothing in the south as lively and happening as the core of LA

Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Yeah theres nothing in the south as lively and happening as the core of LA
Last time I was in DT LA for a week, the big happening was people sitting in the hotel bar watching the OJ trail verdict. It sure was an impressive place and I was informed not to wander outside at that tim....it must have changed a lot since then

Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
visiting from the northeast, LA is the opposite of what i consider a city

reminds me of north jersey or long island or northern VA

all of em combined w/ carefully places palm trees

Old 03-09-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Last time I was in DT LA for a week, the big happening was people sitting in the hotel bar watching the OJ trail verdict. It sure was an impressive place and I was informed not to wander outside at that tim....it must have changed a lot since then
Haha in 18 years?

Considering downtown has changed significantly in just the last year and a half I have lived here, I'm sure you can imagine how much it has changed in 18 years. From what I hear it is like night and day.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
visiting from the northeast, LA is the opposite of what i consider a city

reminds me of north jersey or long island or northern VA

all of em combined w/ carefully places palm trees
Having lived on both coasts, I can say that your perception is incorrect.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Having lived on both coasts, I can say that your perception is incorrect.
I have family from Boston, they have visited, they said LA is too big and crowded for their liking, so yes his perception is incorrect and nowhere I've been for the exception of NY or Chi compares
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City